Casting Rod & Reel Recommendation

Tilzbow

Casting Rod & Reel Recommendation

Post by Tilzbow »

Long time spin and fly fisherman looking to buy first casting rig. My primary use is going to be for Wipers that could exceed 10# but I may use occasionally fish for largemouths and stripers. Majority of my fishing with this rod/reel combination will be for Wipers with 3/8 - 3/4 oz jigs, crank baits, and top water (Zara Spooks, etc).

I’ve done a bit of research and it appears a good all around combo is a 7’ medium heavy rod and a reel with a 6.1 to 6.3 gear ratio.

There are so many options of manufacturers I have no idea where to start so I’m asking for recommendations. I’m trying to avoid manufacturers known for quality and durability issues but have no experience with this type of rig. With a budget of $300 to $350 can you suggest some rigs I should look at?

Lastly, for the type of fishing I’m going to do should I spool with braid, a fluorocarbon in the 15# range or regular mono?
Last edited by Tilzbow on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nate50

Re: Casting Rod & Reel Recommendation

Post by nate50 »

I think you will get a million different responses with everyone’s brand prefences. I would look at Shimano Zodias line of rods they are very versatile. They come in at about 199 bucks. I would recommend Lews reels. They make a ton of models at all different price points. I’ve used the cheaper ones and the higher end reels they all are good. Hope this gives you a starting point
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

I second the Lews Reels, great reels at a good price, a lot of rods but as you said a 7' MH fast action will cover a lot of what you're looking for.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Dobyns FR735C with Daiwa Tatula CT R (on sale TW) or Shimano 200K reel.
The is 7'3" however a very versitile rod.
Tom
Nevadabassin

Post by Nevadabassin »

Dobyns frenzy rods are great and priced right. 110.00 AND a shimano curado is a good reel.daiwa and lews are good as well
Tilzbow

Post by Tilzbow »

Thanks for the information so far! I hadn’t heard of Dobyn’s rods before posting this so I’ll check them out.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We build anything and everything for bass fishing. I striper fish fairly often as well. I'd suggest a Champion 735C myself but most guys will go with the Fury 734C. The Fury is $109, the Champion is $259, we also make a Sierra that's $160. All of these will work fine. We have too many choices :)

If you'd like further info please call our shop at 530-671-1989. We talk rods all day long and help lots of customers with rod recommendations. THX!!
george

Post by george »

Look at the Spiralite line up which run from $99 to $210 and try out the 7'4" MH. You can throw pretty much everything for Whipers or Striped Bass and go out the next day and throw a blade, jig or Senko for Large Mouth.
Combine that rod with a Shimano Carado 6.3 and you are within your budget.
The Spiralite rods are the latest and greatest in wrap around eye technology and you will be amazed at the sensitivity for fishing the soft baits.

George
209-402-2284, Call me if you have any questions!
Tilzbow

Post by Tilzbow »

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering a Dobyns Sierra 733C and paired it with a Daiwa Tatula Type R 6.3:1. I’m going to spool it with 15# Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon. Ordered the rod Saturday night and got it today (Amazon) and should get the reel Wednesday. The rod feels reel/real nice! Can’t wait to get out on the water!

I’m sure this will lead to a couple of more rigs in the next year or two. Is 30+ rods and reels too many and do fly rods really count?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Tilzbow wrote:Guys,

Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering a Dobyns Sierra 733C and paired it with a Daiwa Tatula Type R 6.3:1. I’m going to spool it with 15# Seaguar InvizX Fluorocarbon. Ordered the rod Saturday night and got it today (Amazon) and should get the reel Wednesday. The rod feels reel/real nice! Can’t wait to get out on the water!

I’m sure this will lead to a couple of more rigs in the next year or two. Is 30+ rods and reels too many and do fly rods really count?
No, and no. :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
folktsbDRqen3565

Post by folktsbDRqen3565 »

Excellent topic. I remember a lot of new things. I need more such discussions.
Tilzbow

Post by Tilzbow »

Since we’re on the topic of more rods obviously being better, I live in Reno, plan to retire soon and when that happens I’d really like to start learning CA waters such as the Delta, Bullards Bar and Clear Lake.

I’d like to build up to three rods and it seems that would cover most applications when I include the arsenal of spinning outfits I’ve already got. That said now that I have a good all purpose casting rod what should my next two casting rods be and what line should I spool the reels with? What gear ratio for each reel?