rickyshabazz

Baits for night fishing

Post by rickyshabazz »

Here are some of the baits that I use fishing at nights:

The Wanabepro
Larry Hemphill

Another idea

Post by Larry Hemphill »

The baits on his list are good. The 10" Berkley Power worm might be the best - IF your body of water has big bass. I have found after 30 years of night fishing, if I could have only one bait, it would be the 7" black Power worm. This is especially true if your are fishing a lake like Berryessa that has all three species of bass. That worm will appeal to all three species. If you are fishing a lake like Amador, Berryessa, Bullards Bar, etc., that have big bass that are not biting, take a 10 inch Power worm and bite off 2 inches. You now have the bulk that might generate a good bite under tough conditions.. Also, during the real warm nights when you are giving your worm more action, the Zoom 8 inch Dead Ringer is a winner!
Larry Hemphill

One more thing!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Remember - if you are fishing a giant worm like the 10 or 12 inch variety, MAKE SURE you use the proper matching hook! Many of my clients bring good night baits with hooks that are way too small. Gamakatsu 5/0 and 6/0 may be needed. Some of our night baits have a lot of plastic to get thru!!
WRB

Re: Baits for night fishing

Post by WRB »

What is missing.....a jig and deep diving crank bait.
Tom
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I agree that crankbaits can be excellent at night, especially if you have a lot of flats next to deep water. My biggest crank bass was a 12 lb 10 oz monster from Amador in the good 'ol days - 1989. I really think that worms will out fish jigs in the summer warm water. I have hundreds of night trips to prove that. When the lake begins to cool in late October, bring on the jigs. One of the best colder water night baits, period. Do experiment with the trailers - some are better than others.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Crawdad's are nocturnal and move up into shallower water night to eat and bass are hunting them. Both crankbaits and jigs can represent crawdads and along with big soft platic worms offer very high percentage night lures for the big bass feeding on crawdads.
Deep diving crawdad color crankbaits during the transition light period dusk to dark when bass are very active is a good to give them a try where it's rock and clay. Jigs can be fished anytime anywhere, especially on deep rocky breaks during summer nights.
Tom