Batterys?

Morgan

Batterys?

Post by Morgan »

I watch the Elites and see some of them with 4 - 12" and bigger graphs and running their livewells. What are they doing to keep from running down their batteries? I've got 2 12" graphs and if I'm running my livewells all day, my battery goes low enough to need a jump in the afternoon. I can tell when it's getting close as the graph will reset due to low voltage when I try to start the engine. I've tried different batterys and will put my console graph on standby when I'm up at the bow, but that hurts the non-boater. I've increased the wire size to each. Ideas?

Morgan
Otay Michael

Re: Batterys?

Post by Otay Michael »

I'd only run my livewell 5 minutes every 1/2 hour, that gives them enough fresh oxygen.

UNLESS they're all TEN POUNDERS! :lol:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

In the summer, they need continuous running.
jeremy z

Post by jeremy z »

Not sure about the elites but I run an odyssey. I run two 12”s and my pumps all day with no issues. Even run the stereo for awhile. It’s a little pricey and a little heavier but no issues is worth it.
drew

Post by drew »

Most of the elites run lithium batteries. I run a Northstar group 31 and have no issues. They are also re-labeled and sold under many other names. Odyssey, cabelas, drakon, no longer available diehard platinum, bat + x2 etc. They are big and heavy.

Morgan wrote:I watch the Elites and see some of them with 4 - 12" and bigger graphs and running their livewells. What are they doing to keep from running down their batteries? I've got 2 12" graphs and if I'm running my livewells all day, my battery goes low enough to need a jump in the afternoon. I can tell when it's getting close as the graph will reset due to low voltage when I try to start the engine. I've tried different batterys and will put my console graph on standby when I'm up at the bow, but that hurts the non-boater. I've increased the wire size to each. Ideas?

Morgan
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I just bought a Northstar grp31 agm!.... love it , my Deka agm 31’s that came with the boat didn’t even last 2 years !....
WRB

Re: Battery

Post by WRB »

Not too long ago before the larger size sonar units using the outboard group 27 cranking battery to run the boats electronics, livewell pump worked good. Today using a group 31 AGM marine deep cycle battery for a cranking battery and electronics, pumps etc, is common. Keep in mind marine deep cycle batteries may not be compatible with the outboard engines charging system amp output and could cook your deep cycle battery. A seperate battery to run the electronics and pump is a good optional consider.
VMax Tank is another good AGM battery to consider.
Lithium ion batteries save weight, expensive and require a specific charging system.
Tom
drew

Re: Battery

Post by drew »

The AGM 31 for cranking use should not be a deep cycle. The AGM numbering system does not equate to the size, a higher number does not necessarily equal a higher capacity. A group 29 is larger then most 31's. From my understanding there are only 3 American battery manufactures, Northstar, Johnson Controls and East Penn Deka. I believe the Vmax's are made in china.
WRB wrote:Not too long ago before the larger size sonar units using the outboard group 27 cranking battery to run the boats electronics, livewell pump worked good. Today using a group 31 AGM marine deep cycle battery for a cranking battery and electronics, pumps etc, is common. Keep in mind marine deep cycle batteries may not be compatible with the outboard engines charging system amp output and could cook your deep cycle battery. A seperate battery to run the electronics and pump is a good optional consider.
VMax Tank is another good AGM battery to consider.
Lithium ion batteries save weight, expensive and require a specific charging system.
Tom
WRB

Post by WRB »

Vmax Tank battles, USA Corp.
MR 137-120 is a group 31 AGM that I have been using since 2005 and recommended by a Trogan battery dealer before they came out with AGM batteries. The Trogan chief engineer started a lead acid battery co called American battery in California.
Tom
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

All, the Odyssey Group 31 (2150) battery is the only AGM made with brand new lead. It is heavy, but has more capacity than any AGM on the market. They also are the only company to offer a 4 year warranty. It can also be a starter battery.

I run 4 in my boat.

The answer to your question on what the pro's do, they mostly run lithium. Lithium is a better technology and they will often run 2 battery's for 12V..one starter and one house. The downside is they are expensive. Most of the battery systems for cranking and 36 V trolling are $4000 and up.

If you have any questions on Odyssey, let me know. I have all the stats and have been sponsored by them for over nearly 10 years.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Actually, more and more tour guys are running North Star or Oddysey AGMs. I put 4 31s in mine and problems solved completely. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks, That's a lot of information. So, I am running Interstate 27M-XHD, which has 800 CC, 1000 CA, and reserve of 182.
I can't afford $4,000, Appears I need to upgrade to AGM. Looking at the Odyssey and NorthStar, both have batteries that increase the reserve capacity from what I'm running.
Odyssey Extreme 31-PC2150 = cc1150, mcr1370, reserve 205 min $400
NorthStar NSB-AGM31= cca1150, ca/mca1370, reserve 220 min. $382 (+shipping?)

So the price is comparable. I have heard that sometimes you can't believe the stats, but the reserve capacity, which I think is what I need, is higher on the NorthStar.

BTW: I'm running 2 HDS 12" graphs, 2 Talons, and my livewell pump seems to be a battery hog- all off the cranking battery.

I gotta do something, cause what I got isn't working.

Morgan
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Morgan wrote:Thanks, That's a lot of information. So, I am running Interstate 27M-XHD, which has 800 CC, 1000 CA, and reserve of 182.
I can't afford $4,000, Appears I need to upgrade to AGM. Looking at the Odyssey and NorthStar, both have batteries that increase the reserve capacity from what I'm running.
Odyssey Extreme 31-PC2150 = cc1150, mcr1370, reserve 205 min $400
NorthStar NSB-AGM31= cca1150, ca/mca1370, reserve 220 min. $382 (+shipping?)

So the price is comparable. I have heard that sometimes you can't believe the stats, but the reserve capacity, which I think is what I need, is higher on the NorthStar.

BTW: I'm running 2 HDS 12" graphs, 2 Talons, and my livewell pump seems to be a battery hog- all off the cranking battery.

I gotta do something, cause what I got isn't working.

Morgan
They are comparable. However the Northstar battery has a 3 year warranty instead of 4 from Odyssey. If you are interested in Odyssey, I may be able to save you a few bucks. Let me know. I do have discount coupons.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
drew

Post by drew »

Most Foreign companies have USA divisions. I know they have a physical location in Mi. No battery manufacturing in CA, head quarter's maybe. These are importers of Chinese manufactured products.
WRB wrote:Vmax Tank battles, USA Corp.
MR 137-120 is a group 31 AGM that I have been using since 2005 and recommended by a Trogan battery dealer before they came out with AGM batteries. The Trogan chief engineer started a lead acid battery co called American battery in California.
Tom
drew

Post by drew »

The Odyssey has a 36mo for marine use, for street use it might be 48mo. They are also the most expensive of the different labels. The Batters Plus (same battery) is $399 with a 48mo warranty for marine use with a $30 rebate.
scottsweet wrote:
They are comparable. However the Northstar battery has a 3 year warranty instead of 4 from Odyssey. If you are interested in Odyssey, I may be able to save you a few bucks. Let me know. I do have discount coupons.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks Everyone! I did more research, but leaned more towards the NorthStar one. I called the mfg plant in Missouri and got a whole bunch of more information. He even asked about my charging habits, chargers used, everything. Gave me a quick lesson about batterys and charging. Turned me on to BatterysPlus that sells the same battery under their label with a 48 mo warranty and a 10% off online/deliver to the store and a $30 mail in rebate.

Thanks again
Morgan
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

I run ac Delco gel batteries but i run a 3 bank charger and the cranking battery separate from the 3 bank charger. run all day run electronics and a 109 lb 36 volt trolling motor. never had an issue. you have to charge them separately but seems to work for me. good luck.
Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Yep, I was advised to get a beefier charger, 25 amp from CTek or NoCo for the AGM. Was using either my onboard 15amp/per bank or my Ctek 7a with reconditioning.

Thanks,,
Morgan
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

All good information! What I have found is TIME is the real bad player here on batteries.

I finally started documenting purchase date and usage as well as warranty information etc. Time goes by so fast and we are all so busy it is amazing how fast we all go through batteries. A four year full replacement warranty is a great thing to have for sure.

As far as charge rate goes, the interstate folks said that a slow recharge rate for AGM's is the ticket. Seems like there still is a lot of different perspectives on battery maintenance.

I think Lithiums are the future and eventually most of us will shell out the bucks. Look at the amount of money we spend on one single lure. In perspective the cost compared with lures and batteries seems to make the most important thing (trolling motor/batteries (lithium) seem cheap. Just some ramblings from a guy who needs to be out fishing :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix