Crankbait Rod for 5/16 to 1/2 cranks

Tilzbow

Crankbait Rod for 5/16 to 1/2 cranks

Post by Tilzbow »

Guys,

I’m looking to buy a crankbait rod for tossing 5/16 to 1/2 oz crankbaits. Most will be divers and lipless baits in open water. I’ve got a Diawa SV TW that I just bought and I’m now looking for a rod to pair it with. My budget for this rod is $250 and I’m currently looking at a Dobyns Champion 704CB in standard or glass.

Any advantage to the glass Dobyns over the graphite Dobyns?

Any other good choices at or below my price range?

I’m new to baitcasters and the number of choices is truly overwhelming so appreciate the advice...
BigBassDaddy1190

Re: Crankbait Rod for 5/16 to 1/2 cranks

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Irod genesis stone cold swim is an excellent lipless rod.

Also I like the Dobyns fury medium heavy cranking rod for small to medium divers. Pretty much the same rod but a little cheaper than the champion xp.
Last edited by BigBassDaddy1190 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant

Post by Grant »

If you are willing to go with a used rod try to find a G Loomis CBR 845 or 847 with the split handle. Best crank rod I have used and new they ran around $210 so used should run no more than about $150. I have not used the E6X Loomis so I cannot recommend it one way or the other.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

A couple of years ago I got the 704cb for Spooks and walking baits. Well i tied on a Square bill this past spring and it quickly became my square bill and medium diver rod, over my 805.

If you are looking for more power for an LV the 705 may be the way to go but I have been VERY happy with the 704CB. Light, casts a mile and has the perfect action to play fish and power to move them.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The rod I'd recommend is 764 CBRM. It's a 7'6" cranking rod. We have lots of 7 footers that will work great but the longer rod lets you cast further. This is one of my personal favorites. If you want a 7 footer look at 704CB or 705CB. We have both Glass and Graphite. It comes down to the anglers preference. In eastern U.S we sell more Glass, here in the West we sell more Graphite. The 764 CBRM is graphite. Anything further questions Dobyns just let me know. THX!!!!!
nate50

Post by nate50 »

What’s the difference between glass and graphite? Besides the obvious lol
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There's a belief that glass is more forgiving with lunging-pulling bass and not ripping trebles hooks out. Many believe you'll land more CB fish with glass. It's a good argument but personally I don't believe it "IF" you have a good, true Mod-Fast action graphite rod. The problem with Glass is most rods are big, bulky, and heavy. Companies like Dobyns works around this by putting graphite in the butt section. Making it a blend of both. We keep the forward 60% of the rod Glass as it's what loads and has the action (and fights the fish). We also make a 705 CBMF Glass that is the old style traditional Glass rod that loads into 75-80% of the rod. Personally I don't like this rod and I've discontinued it twice only to have guys begging for it to return. So I've brought it back both times. WE try and build what fishermen want. In this case I fish graphite on all jerk baits and most CB with exception of our 735 and 736 CB Glass rods that were made for Chatterbaits. These also throw the larger Square Bills very well. Glass or Graphite comes down to personal choice with the angler. We sell more graphite in the west and more Glass in the east. The 735 and 736 CB Glass rods sell everywhere but these are a bit special. THX!!
snakebit95

Post by snakebit95 »

I don't know about the graphite versions, but I have a Dobyns glass 704CB, and it is the only rod I throw light CB's and small traps with. The rod loads-up so well when casting that you can really hurl a small bait. I have also caught a lot of fish barely hooked that I feel confident would have pulled-off had it not been for the give in the glass rod. Great rod, and if I had to choose again, I would choose the same rod. Hope this helps!!

BTW, I have the 736CB glass in-route for larger cranks and chatterbaits. Can't wait!!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The 704CB Glass rod is for very light baits. it will throw 1/8 oz speed traps well as an example. THX for comments Snakebit95. Love your name!! :)
Tilzbow

Post by Tilzbow »

I went with the 704CB glass. The 764CB Gary recommended looks like it’d be perfect but I bought this using a work anniversary point gift and the website I used the points on didn’t have the 764CB available.
snakebit95

Post by snakebit95 »

Tilzbow wrote:I went with the 704CB glass. The 764CB Gary recommended looks like it’d be perfect but I bought this using a work anniversary point gift and the website I used the points on didn’t have the 764CB available.
I really think you are going to like the rod. I did a night fishing trip last night and could not put it down. Flicker shad bite was good on the lights.