Fishing CA Delta July 30

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta July 30

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 7/30/2018
Water Temp 74 - 76
Visibility 2 – 3 feet
Wind 5 - 14 mph

Had the opportunity to take a short trip this morning. Launched around 6:30 this morning. Conditions were ideal. Low light with a steady wind blowing from the west.

I made a run to an expansive weed flat. Working my crankbait along the weeds, I hooked into a good fish. After a little battle, I had a solid four-pounder in the boat. Surprisingly, this fish had about three others in the same class following it, trying to eat the bait out of the other fish’s mouth. Without hesitation, I stuck her in the live well and went back to work. For a good ten minutes, I consistently stuck twos’ and the occasional three here and there. Within 15 minutes of being on the water, I had my limit. With high hopes, I continued.

With the tide now moving out, I switched to fishing berms. I started by working the edges with crankbaits, but switched to Senkos paired with Tsuyoi Weedless Wacky Hooks in areas were the current slowed. This one – two combination yielded good results, but nothing cull worthy. This soon changed though. I pitched my senko up to an isolated tullie patch, away from the others. After a short while, I noticed my line swimming off. I reeled down on the fish and set hook, but to my amazement and horror, the fish was already under the boat. I frantically reeled with my 7:1 gear ratio reel, but to no avail. She was gone. From my experience, the fish that swim to deep water that fast, are monsters. Undeterred, I continued.

Around eleven, I changed game plans and went back to searching the flats. By this time, the tide had dropped significantly, so I opted for the plopper. The fish were more than willing to cooperate, with many aggressively eating my bait. Again, the two and three-pound fish were eating. I noticed the areas that went into coves seemed to produce the most.

By one in the afternoon, I attempted to mix in the chatterbait and some punching, but wasn’t able to get rid of any of my fish. The combination of small fish and smoke from a near-by fire made fishing the afternoon tough. I called it quits by 2. Overall, I had around fourteen-pounds for best five. Nothing special, but a productive day. I seem to be in a slump for the big fish, just got to concentrate and hope my luck changes.

Notes

The clouds and smoke make for outstanding reaction bait action.

Again, finding the clean weeds offshore seem to produce the healthier fish.

Cranks, Senkos, and Ploppes continue to do all of the damage.
Attachments
20180730_133531_HDR (2).jpg
20180730_140413_HDR (2).jpg
Javelin Jim

Re: Fishing CA Delta July 30

Post by Javelin Jim »

Thanks for your reports! I look forward to reading them each week. With my lack of skills on the Delta, it gives me a little hope for the next time I fish the Delta.
jcbassin

Post by jcbassin »

Great report. What kind of cranks you throwing? How deep?
AKBASSFISHING

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

jcbassin wrote:Great report. What kind of cranks you throwing? How deep?
I've been going with either a KVD 1.5 in Delta Craw or a Lucky Craft I also painted in a Delta craw. Both are square bills and go no more than 5 feet.
jcbassin

Post by jcbassin »

Awesome. Thanks
ILW

Post by ILW »

Is it still smokey out there or has it cleared up all the way yet?
AKBASSFISHING

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

ILW wrote:Is it still smokey out there or has it cleared up all the way yet?
The smoke has cleared considerably since then.