need Dodge Truck owners input

Par

need Dodge Truck owners input

Post by Par »

Im going to be buying a new truck in the near future. Ugh! I will be towing a 21 foot bass boat. I am considering a Dodge truck but have never owned one. I don't need top of the line, just a good solid reliable 4X4 extended cab.
I see a lot of boaters with Dodge trucks and was hoping for some input and suggestions.
Thanks,
Par
Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn
monte300

Re: need Dodge Truck owners input

Post by monte300 »

Par wrote:Im going to be buying a new truck in the near future. Ugh! I will be towing a 21 foot bass boat. I am considering a Dodge truck but have never owned one. I don't need top of the line, just a good solid reliable 4X4 extended cab.
I see a lot of boaters with Dodge trucks and was hoping for some input and suggestions.
Thanks,
Par
I'm a Chevy guy but my question is do you really need 4x4?
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I'm a Chevy guy also, but will likely look into Dodge - Cummins in near future myself. Just upgraded from a single axle trailer pulling an old Ranger to newer rig , tandem, guestimating 1200 lbs heavier??
The old Chevy with 5.3l is now struggling a little, not to mention the old tranny.
The inline 6 Cummins is much easier to work on yourself or pay someone to do than the v8 Duramax.
4x4 could be needed in a pinch on the launch ramp, if not 4x4, be sure to have limited slip rear end.
~ Tony
biteme

Post by biteme »

I bought a new 2015 Ram 2500 cummins 4x4 crew cab. Truck has been awesome. I paid 40k brand new for it and its a lot of truck for the money. When you buy go to Idaho ave smith and you'll get the best deal. They even pick you up at the airport.
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

I have a 2012 Ram 4x4 crew with the Hemi engine. It pulls both my Ranger Z19 with tandem axles & my Champion 203 tandem which is pretty heavy with ease. I used to have a GMC Yukon before that & it did well on the highway but struggled a bit in the mountains. As far as needing 4x4, it comes in handy from time to time! A moss slick ramp, low water when your rear tires are off the ramp, taking kid or grandkids to the snow etc.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I pull a 21 footer with a 2018 Laramie 5.7 Hemi and I dont even know its back there. This truck is a 4x2 and its the first vehicle Ive owned that was not 4x4. I chose not to go with a 4x4 because I could no longer rationalize the added cost for 4x4, reduced mileage, and added insurance cost of a 4x4 based on how much I use 4x4 these days. So far so good, but one day those steep slick Delta ramps may get me. What I am going to do is put a winch up front with as much cable as I can get, that should get me quickly out of any jam I get into.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Ram/Cummins!..... you will never go back to gas ! pull every hill with no problem! exhaust brake is awesome! if you don’t want to buy the high end trim ! the “Big Horn”is a great way to go !...you are gonna definitely want the back up cam !.... happy shopping!
biteme

Post by biteme »

birdman920 wrote:Ram/Cummins!..... you will never go back to gas ! pull every hill with no problem! exhaust brake is awesome! if you don’t want to buy the high end trim ! the “Big Horn”is a great way to go !...you are gonna definitely want the back up cam !.... happy shopping!
Yes, I have a Tradesman with chrome package and love it. I added a aftermarket radio but the rest is all good.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

I have 16 Ecodiesel 4x4 Tradesmen. The only thing I pull is a 20' Triton. Tows awesome but really light in the rear. It will spin the tires on the ramp. Advertised gas mileage is misleading. The only way I get 25 mpg is on the freeway doing 50mph and that's a good way to get ran over. I average 19. Almost 500 miles per tank. I have only owned GM. Ford and GM are definitely more heavy duty. The bed on the Ram is paper thin. Rides like a Cadillac. All in all I like my Ram.
Last edited by scott39 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dobyns Rods
biteme

Post by biteme »

scott39 wrote:I have 16 Ecodiesel 4x4 Tradesmen. The only thing I pull is a 20' Triton. Tows awesome but really light in the rear. It will spin the tires on the ramp. Advertised gas mileage is misleading. The only way I get 25 mpg is on the freeway doing 50mph and that's a good way to get ran over. I average 19. I have only owned GM. Ford and Chevy are definitely more heavy duty. The bed on the Ram is paper thin. But all in all I like my Ram.
The bed is stronger than aluminum beds :D .

OP make sure you check pricing, like I said I paid 40k for my 2500 cummins.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

biteme wrote:
scott39 wrote:I have 16 Ecodiesel 4x4 Tradesmen. The only thing I pull is a 20' Triton. Tows awesome but really light in the rear. It will spin the tires on the ramp. Advertised gas mileage is misleading. The only way I get 25 mpg is on the freeway doing 50mph and that's a good way to get ran over. I average 19. I have only owned GM. Ford and Chevy are definitely more heavy duty. The bed on the Ram is paper thin. But all in all I like my Ram.

Really. You know this how?
Dobyns Rods
biteme

Post by biteme »

scott39 wrote:
biteme wrote:

I was a body man, painter for many years. You want to see some vids of a aluminum bed in action?
scott39

Post by scott39 »

biteme wrote:
scott39 wrote:
biteme wrote: The bed is stronger than aluminum beds :D .

I was a body man, painter for many years. You want to see some vids of a aluminum bed in action?
Nope :D
Dobyns Rods
biteme

Post by biteme »

scott39 wrote:
biteme wrote:
scott39 wrote: Really. You know this how?
Haha well if anyone else wants to see one crunched up let me know.
I'm still blown away Ford made a truck out of aluminum.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

biteme wrote:
scott39 wrote:
biteme wrote: I was a body man, painter for many years. You want to see some vids of a aluminum bed in action?
30 years of concrete work. Used Ford or GM. Currently 2015 GM. There is no comparison The Tradesman work truck would not hold up. But like I said it is Comfortable and plenty of power to pull my boat
Dobyns Rods
Smoking Bore

Post by Smoking Bore »

I had a 2006 1500 5.7 Hemi bought used, 2012 3500 6.7 diesel Big Horn bought new, and I currently have a 2500 6.4 Hemi Big Horn bought new.

The 1500 was the only one that had given me any issues but it also had the most miles on it. The only issues I had with it was a was sensor go bad and the rear diff had some issues which I guess were common for this year. My buddy has the same truck to this day and has had no issues. I only towed under 5000lbs with it. MPG was great usually above 20 with no load. My buddy has the same truck to this day and he tows a Crestliner 1850 and he has had no issues.

The 3500 I only had for two years and coincidentally I almost never towed much with it. Never had any issues with it and it was a great truck but I didn’t care for everyday city to and from work driving with it. It was my first diesel and I was expecting better mpg. Usually I got around 16-17mpg HW and 12-14mpg city. I do allot of shooting too so I would take it off-road which was slow going with the 3500 suspension. It had plenty of upper end power and was good in the lower range but it just felt like I was lugging around so much weight on that stop and go city traffic. I have several budddies with new diesels and they all say that they are underpowered. Some have done some mods though and tell me the improvements make it an awesome truck. By the way I tested Ford, Chevy, and GMC and they were all so similar in how they drove in my opinion. In the end Dodge had the best package and price.

My current 2500 I only have 23k miles on it and out of all my Rams it has been my favorite. It’s the best of both worlds for going off-road and driving in the city. It is a bit of a gas guzzler. 16mpg HW is about the norm and 11-12mpg for city. Towing a Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk from northern NV to the Delta and back I get about 11-12mpg, which for going over the pass I consider decent. I can also barely tell the boat is there. I also have larger then factory tires at 32” which I think took off a solid mpg or two. I plan to keep the truck into my retirement if all goes well and I eventually plan on getting a Lance 825 cabover so I’m hoping the performance is still there with the cabover and the boat in tow.

The other benefit is you can get a lifetime factory warranty for about 3k. That’s just phenomenal in my opinion if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time. It is only offered on the gas models though.

From my research most diesels have costly repairs after a few years due to all the emmissions crap required on them. Unless you need the torque I’d go gas personally. Of course I didn’t drive my diesel long enough to experience any issues and it was the last year without DEF fluid requirements.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
biteme

Post by biteme »

scott39 wrote:
biteme wrote:
scott39 wrote: Nope :D
30 years of concrete work. Used Ford or GM. Currently 2015 GM. There is no comparison The Tradesman work truck would not hold up. But like I said it is Comfortable and plenty of power to pull my boat
Huh? The bed on the tradesman is the same bed as other models. BTW Fords aluminum bed is a newer item.
I use my bed and theres no a dent in it. I do have a lineX though so that does help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQZu8K51ZY
Steel always wins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1pA8b4pPE

Hey whatever you guys like buy it!
brian c

Post by brian c »

What about the dodge eco diesel ? Anybody ?
biteme

Post by biteme »

brian c wrote:What about the dodge eco diesel ? Anybody ?
I dunno if they have been ironed out but they had a lot of issues. Lots of feedback on google and youtube.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

biteme wrote:
brian c wrote:What about the dodge eco diesel ? Anybody ?
I dunno if they have been ironed out but they had a lot of issues. Lots of feedback on google and youtube.
Good, reliable diesel with plenty of power. Been out for a long time. The Hemi is a loud, loose engine that is cheaply made, just a noisy, rattley engine. Google and YouTube any truck and any engine, you’ll find they all have issues. Manufacturers sell hundreds of thousands of trucks, odds are a few will have the hiccups. If you buy a new truck, it’s gonna have a good warranty so it’s really about what you like. Dodge, Nissan and Toyota are the cheaper trucks. Ford, Chevy, and GMC are expensive. I’ve had two hemi Dodge trucks, three Cummins dodge trucks, and two GMC 1 gas 6.0 and currently a duramax diesel, GM makes the best quality and reliable but Dodge trucks are fun and exciting. Dodge has the best 4x4 and all around capabilities but the quality of interior and electrical components are garbage. You can find deals locally that are the best in the nation. California has the most competitive car market. Don’t go to Dave Smith in Idaho, trust me, the deals here are better. I’ve bought 3 new ram trucks in the past couple years from Red Bluff Dodge. With Ram trucks comes giant rebates and hefty discounts. Expect a minimum of $10,000 off MSRP, shoot for around $3500 or more under dealer invoice plus collect the rebates and tell them to give you all their trunk money!
ncloutier136

Post by ncloutier136 »

Bought a 2017 6.7 cummins Laramie off road package and its been the best truck ive owed used to be a chevy guy but had nothing but problems with every one ive had gas and diesel. Get the cummins not the eco diesel you wont regret it!
Paul Matthews

Post by Paul Matthews »

2016 Dodge 4x4 diesel. Great truck. way more power than I need for the boat but I also tow a 5'th wheel. Fuel economy is off the charts 14 + mpg towing the boat to Roosevelt and it's uphill. 22 MPG Hwy and around 16 in the city. Solid cab fit and finish is very good.
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

Have a Dodge 1500 hemi you can special order your dodge unlike other trucks. I added certain things to make it an even better towing truck and it only takes about 6 to 7 weeks for it to come in. The things that I added were 32gallon gas tank, anti spin differential, 3.92 gears . Those options make it so much better for towing I love the big gas tank and the gears really help with towing. The anti spin helps on slick ramps it won't let one tire spin and the other just sit there.
brian c

Post by brian c »

Spin differential. Needed for delta ramps. Thanx
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

Hi there guys.. I have a 2016 Ram Eco Diesel and I have been beyond Happy with it. I get 20.8mpg on average towing my Ranger and it has more than enough power for towing the boat over the hill to Clear Lake or even the multiple trips over the Tehachapi when im headed for Havasu... Also if youd like i can get you a contact for a rep at Lasher Ram in Elk Grove so you dont have to hassle with salesmen, you can ask questions direct an he will beat any competeitors pricing.

Travis Huckaby
Delta Dave

Post by Delta Dave »

Buddy owns a dodge ram . Had to replace the side door window clips 6 times $250 a pop. Clip breaks and the window falls inside the door. Anyone have that problem?
brian c

Post by brian c »

Thanx Travis, have a buddy that just got one. It’s a really nice truck. But he only pulls a horse trailer a few times a years. But really bragsabout the fuel mileage. I have 2003 f-250 v 10. Plenty of power. Awesome going to clear lake and melones. But 10 mpg. Pulling or not. Bought it brand new and no issues. But the time is getting close for a new one. So my eyes are open and can’t brake the bank cause boat is not getting any younger either. 1991 stratos.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

brian c wrote:Thanx Travis, have a buddy that just got one. It’s a really nice truck. But he only pulls a horse trailer a few times a years. But really bragsabout the fuel mileage. I have 2003 f-250 v 10. Plenty of power. Awesome going to clear lake and melones. But 10 mpg. Pulling or not. Bought it brand new and no issues. But the time is getting close for a new one. So my eyes are open and can’t brake the bank cause boat is not getting any younger either. 1991 stratos.
I have the same year Ford 1 ton van with that V10. It runs like sewing machine. 11mpg empty or loaded, almost 15mpg in the carpool lane doing 75.
I love the van, but I don't drive it anymore because I can't afford the gas!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Colebass

Post by Colebass »

I own a 2006 Dodge 2500 quad cab 5.9 cummins diesel with 190K and going strong! Towed my boat and others things all over the west with no issues. Being from a farming family we have several other rigs on the ranch and my feeling is don't sup them up unless you can fix them, keep it stock, change the oil, do scheduled maintenance and should be fine. The eco diesel is fine for towing a boat and I just heard this weekend they have them at $18K off MSRP! For towing a heavy trailer or doing construction, I wouldn't recommend the eco diesel but go to the bigger 6.7 in 3/4 to 1 ton.

Good luck!
Last edited by Colebass on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cole
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

TravisH wrote:Hi there guys.. I have a 2016 Ram Eco Diesel and I have been beyond Happy with it. I get 20.8mpg on average towing my Ranger and it has more than enough power for towing the boat over the hill to Clear Lake or even the multiple trips over the Tehachapi when im headed for Havasu... Also if youd like i can get you a contact for a rep at Lasher Ram in Elk Grove so you dont have to hassle with salesmen, you can ask questions direct an he will beat any competeitors pricing.

Travis Huckaby
Hi Travis,
I'm on the market for 2019 RAM 1500. Would love a friendly referral to Lasher Ram. Please PM me with the contact info.

Thank you!
tthomasy

Post by tthomasy »

I owned 2006 Ford F250 right up until it exploded in December last year. Did a ton of homework and bought a new 2017 Tradesman crew cab 3500 4x4. Unbelievable price at the end of the year. Short of it, I tow a 21' boat ( don't know its back there) and a 35' 5th wheel and it is night and day over the Ford. The Aisin transmission is also a step up especially for towing heavy. After market warranty costs are excellent also. Just my 2 cents.
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

I can't add anything to these comments on new 16-18 Dodges...

But, I own a 2001 2500 Cummins 4x4 with 184k on it. I pull a 21ft 521VX no problem. Great gas mileage and tons of power. It's purely a tow rig for me so it should last another 300K easily. The gen1 Cummins are damn near bullet proof.
Except for the automatic transmissions, which I've already replaced once, with an upgraded Stage 2 kit.
Dek

Post by Dek »

I say this with a bit of knowledge, proceed very carefully with an Eco diesel. Now if you want tons of power and a great overall truck, there is an obvious choice. One caveat, the horrible mileage is as advertised. The Tundra is a really nice truck and it will run forever.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

If you're looking for a new Dodge check out http://www.sacsuperstore.com/ they are a major Sponsor of BBT and support the industry. Let em know Randy Pringle sent you :D
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

I just spent a month finding the right deal for me. Went to 9 local delearships Called everywhere even Dave smith in Idaho but they can only go about 2k less than the best deals locally, they will even buy your plane ticket. I ended up finding a used ram for a good price so bought a 2018 Laramie with 8k miles and it’s a bad arse beast! I traded in my 2007 ram with a Hemi that had 130k miles of towing and hard use with never a hiccup. Dodge has treated me well had to go back now that i have had the koolaid. I have owned 2 fords f150(caught on fire) and a 7.3(loved it but greyhounds could make a tighter u turn), a Chevy 1500(Just meh and they can’t seem to figure out how to keep lights working) and this will be my third dodge. For the money and the service life I think they are the best deal right now.

Good luck
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
biteme

Post by biteme »

Matt Moreau wrote:I just spent a month finding the right deal for me. Went to 9 local delearships Called everywhere even Dave smith in Idaho but they can only go about 2k less than the best deals locally, they will even buy your plane ticket. I ended up finding a used ram for a good price so bought a 2018 Laramie with 8k miles and it’s a bad arse beast! I traded in my 2007 ram with a Hemi that had 130k miles of towing and hard use with never a hiccup. Dodge has treated me well had to go back now that i have had the koolaid. I have owned 2 fords f150(caught on fire) and a 7.3(loved it but greyhounds could make a tighter u turn), a Chevy 1500(Just meh and they can’t seem to figure out how to keep lights working) and this will be my third dodge. For the money and the service life I think they are the best deal right now.

Good luck
Congrats
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

biteme wrote:
Matt Moreau wrote:I just spent a month finding the right deal for me. Went to 9 local delearships Called everywhere even Dave smith in Idaho but they can only go about 2k less than the best deals locally, they will even buy your plane ticket. I ended up finding a used ram for a good price so bought a 2018 Laramie with 8k miles and it’s a bad arse beast! I traded in my 2007 ram with a Hemi that had 130k miles of towing and hard use with never a hiccup. Dodge has treated me well had to go back now that i have had the koolaid. I have owned 2 fords f150(caught on fire) and a 7.3(loved it but greyhounds could make a tighter u turn), a Chevy 1500(Just meh and they can’t seem to figure out how to keep lights working) and this will be my third dodge. For the money and the service life I think they are the best deal right now.

Good luck
Congrats
Thanks but it doesn’t look nearly as nice as yours bruddah!
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
BFerris

Post by BFerris »

I’m a Chevy guy who went to the dark side and haven’t looked back. I’ve owned a 2014 1500 w/ 6spd hemi and it was a great truck for towing and work. Only down side was it was a quad cab and not enough room for kiddo car seats so I recently bought a 2017 1500 8 spd eco diesel Laramie crew cab and absolutely love it. Elk Grove dodge has screaming deals on these right now...i did have a issue with an air hose on the turbo but they sent a tow truck and a rental truck and took great care of me. It was an easy fix and the truck has been great since. I tow a 21’ ranger and both trucks towed it with ease...the eco diesel tows it better & with better fuel consumption (18-21) but the hemi flat hauls butt. My rental truck was a 8 spd hemi and getting on the freeway with that thing was just fun. Either the hemi or eco diesel is a good choice considering the prices they offer. A lot of truck for the money either way...
https://www.facebook.com/TKOTungsten/
www.TKOTungsten.com
kb

Post by kb »

If you are still in the market for a new Ram truck send me an email and I can hook you up directly with the owner at Thompson's Ram in Placerville. They will take great care of you and give you the best deal out there. They also have a Toyota and GMC dealership if you are interested in the other brands. I have hooked several bass anglers up with a new truck in the past few years. Greg Gutierrez just picked up his new 19' Ram 1500 last week from there.

Kent Brown
Ultimate Bass Radio.

kbrown@surewest.net
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140