Three Rods for The Delta

jcbassin

Three Rods for The Delta

Post by jcbassin »

Most of us have 6-8-10...? But if you had to have just 3 rods for the Delta and three baits. What would they be? Be specific. Thx!
Gary Dobyns

Re: Three Rods for The Delta

Post by Gary Dobyns »

3 rods are easier than 3 baits. Baits would be a spinnerbait, Senko, and Creature bait (many choices here for flippin)

Rods would be 735C- spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, frogs, Senkos,pitching (I like a bit heavier powered rod for Delta)
766 Flip- Flippin and Punchin ( lots of guys use an 8 footer here and I was one of the early guys using only 8 footers. But my Champion 766 Flip is such a sweet powerful rod it's my favorite f
Flippin rod) lastly it'd be a 736C- Best frog rod, whopper ploppers, pitching any bait including Senkos. I've just never seen a rod with this much power and still be light and balanced. This is my single most favorite rod.

My 2 cents.
jcbassin

Post by jcbassin »

So helpful. Thanks Gary! I find the Spinnerbait not discussed all that much, but MAN i've had GREAT success with it. Perfect bait for the delta, in my humble opinion. Picking up some of yours right now.
hydrophonix

Post by hydrophonix »

Gary Dobyns wrote:3 rods are easier than 3 baits. Baits would be a spinnerbait, Senko, and Creature bait (many choices here for flippin)

Rods would be 735C- spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, frogs, Senkos,pitching (I like a bit heavier powered rod for Delta)
766 Flip- Flippin and Punchin ( lots of guys use an 8 footer here and I was one of the early guys using only 8 footers. But my Champion 766 Flip is such a sweet powerful rod it's my favorite f
Flippin rod) lastly it'd be a 736C- Best frog rod, whopper ploppers, pitching any bait including Senkos. I've just never seen a rod with this much power and still be light and balanced. This is my single most favorite rod.

My 2 cents.

Great info! What line (test/brand/style) are you using with those rods respectively on the delta? Thanks.
FlippinDbombs

Post by FlippinDbombs »

735 glass chatterbait/top water /spinnerbaits
766 throw for t rigs / jigs and works for frogging as well / I use this rod for shell crackers and lighter glide baits as well
743 senkos , weightless brushhogs also bubba shot with this rod in the spawn
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

As a follow up about line size for these baits and rods.
I fish braid directly to frogs, ploppers, Spooks and buzzbaits. I'll throw braid with 20-25lb test leader on Senkos, and depending on water color if I throw straight braid or leader on spinnerbaits and Chatterbaits. I prefer straight braid when I can get away with it. I think a leader helps me with bites on Senko for sure. I punch with 65lb braid but will some times flip and pitch with 25 lb test leader. One tip I can give you is leader material usually has a harder coating so it's stronger with braid to Floro knots. The harder coated, stiffer floro seems to have a lot better knot strength. Also in the Delta I run short leaders too. Most times only 3 feet or so. This makes it handy when pitching as the knot is not in the guides. THX!!
jcbassin

Post by jcbassin »

Very helpful. Thanks again Gary!
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

734-Anything from heavy drop shots, senkos, and works for spinnerbaits and chatter baits (to me the most versatile rod there is), spooks
735-Frogs, flipping grass or light punching, swimbaits, jigs, Buzzbaits
766-heavy flipping

Those 3 are always on my deck.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Great question... This time of year, lets talk baits to go with the rods. Punch a creature bait, pitch the Senko, and chuck a vibrating jig. Punch rod 8' Heavy action, Senko the 7'4" Ish Monroe Frog rod (awesome Senko rod) and vibrating jig the 7'4" MH Brent Ehler Bladed Jig rod. http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
scooterb

Post by scooterb »

My first time out on the Delta last week and I'd say my 3 main go to were:

Dobyns 702 HP spinning
Dobyns 735c
Powel Max 7105

I do plan to order a Dobyns 746 HP that could be versatile for frogging or pitching.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Punch Rod
Flippin Rod
Chatterbait Rod

In a couple years, switch your punch rod to a drop shot rod :wink:
FlippinDbombs

Post by FlippinDbombs »

A punch rod is a must all year long as long as you know how to tie a snell knot
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

FlippinDbombs wrote:A punch rod is a must all year long as long as you know how to tie a snell knot
:lol: