Co- boater and money.

Derrick

Co- boater and money.

Post by Derrick »

How much money should a co- boater pay when fishing from the back of the boat. Some people I have taking out fishing are to generous yet others offer nothing. This is fun fishing not a tournament. Just curious what you guys have experienced?
monte300

Re: Co- boater and money.

Post by monte300 »

My feelings are the guest should pay at least half the gas and half the launch fee. I can tell you two cycle oil aint cheap and guess who get's to pay when things break?

When I fish with my big brother he brings lunch, I bring drinks and sometimes he helps with gas. To me time spent with family is far more important than keeping score on expenses. With these direct injected outboards, if you don't make long runs fuel consumption isn't that much.
Last edited by monte300 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

When a boater, I have been offered everything from nothing to , ice and drinks to paying on the fuel. Most of the time I don't take it because I was going anyway and my wife likes it when I have someone on the boat (I have a bad heart).

As a non-boater I have offered to pay money, bought breakfast, bought gas and split cost of snacks.

But one thing is if you expect it, bring it up when you or he make the offer to fish.

As in (Hey want to split the gas and fish Thursday ) Or (If you get drinks and sandwiches ,I"ll get the Ramp fee, Lets go fishing.)

If not let it ride and learn from it.

When I was young I had a friend who paid my way to a lot of places I could not afford to go. He knew and did anyway.

Now its my turn to pay it forward. Best part is now a lot of times I would sit at home but because I have the boat and people to take I spend a lot more time on the water than I would by myself.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

I fish a lot (2 to 3 times a week) when I ask someone to go fishing, I tell them up front what their half is for the gas (depending on which lake I go to) I care less about the other expenses, I'm happy to have someone to go with. :D :D I have had guys say I forgot to bring any money, and never get paid, :( :( then I chock that guy of my list
fastfiat

Post by fastfiat »

For me its the thought that counts. Ive taken friends that offer to help with expenses and usually wont take anything but it pisses me off when they don't offer. As strange as it sounds i would rather them help with cleaning the boat at the end of the day than anything else.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

To me, this is Real easy !!
If I INVITE YOU, then I expect nothing but may accept you offer.
If YOU ask me to take or go along, then I EXPECT you to pay a fair share of the cost.
IF it's a tournament, then DEFINITELY a contribution should be given. At least half of the fuel, launch, and any other costs !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Jay,

I would pay to go fishing with you!

Hope you and your family are safe after all those nasty Redding fires! Great to see you post. Rich
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Mitch wrote:To me, this is Real easy !!
If I INVITE YOU, then I expect nothing but may accept you offer.
If YOU ask me to take or go along, then I EXPECT you to pay a fair share of the cost.
IF it's a tournament, then DEFINITELY a contribution should be given. At least half of the fuel, launch, and any other costs !!
I agree with Mitch, especially if they are a true friend and or outside of the fishing scene ie they like to fish sometimes twice a year guy. Such as in life if I invite you to my house for dinner i dont expect you to leave me cash for the steak. I invited you and want your company and good time.

Now MANNERS comes in and says if I am invited it is courteous of me to ask what I may bring to share or just bring something complimentary.... in fishing the same is true what do i need to bring? hey a life jacket, your lunch and a couple of bucks for gas would be great or Just bring your goofy self bro I got this. that is just common courtesy right?

Where it gets sticky to me and if you have a boat we all have a story or three of a co-angler that stiffed us. The distinction is this person is a CO-ANGLER not a friend you invited but someone you were paired with or someone who reached out to YOU to take them out. This guy is in the scene and should know better, my expectation is that they offer a reasonable amount for the day or split the gas 50/50. An average trip for me to the delta is 100$ easy between the boat and truck so anticipate 50$ if i run less itll be less but come one dude. If im at shasta, prefished for two days, fished with you for two days and you done forgot your wallet (and you know who you are) then say ill take care of you at the next meeting, then say well it wasnt that much cause i drove my own vehicle to the launch - your not going to be invited back and im gonna put ya on blast.

The easiest way to avoid my bad beat story is to have the conversation before the trip, when ya make that call of hey meet me at my house at 3am, dont forget your life jacket, sun screen, flip rod and a few bucks for gas I plan on making a long run.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Smallie83

Post by Smallie83 »

Im going fishing regardless. If they give me anything I just consider it a bonus. To me it's more convenient launching the boat with somebody there so I really don't sweat the money.
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

very good points. if I say im going and ask you if you would like to come I don't expect anything nor will I ask for anything. the courteous fisherman would still offer or at least get lunch when done. in a tournament situation I would think 50-100 bucks a day depending on the tournament would be fair. its funny that a guy would spend all week prepping for a tournament and forget his wallet though lol
Last edited by Bass boy dave on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I used to fish 25-30 tournaments a year and I've heard some real unbelievable excuses from "Ill be right back, gotta go to an ATM to get you some cash" !! Well, that was in 1992, so it must have been a long way to the ATM and I'm still waiting, lol !! Forgotten wallet, I'll catch at the next tourney, Give me your address so I can send you a check, Here's $5 I'm a little short on cash right now, etc, etc, ect !!!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
dvkawboy

Post by dvkawboy »

Taking someone out is totally circumstantial as well is the amount they should chip in . But as a responsible adult you should factor in the the cost of a day on the water and not burden someone else with the expense . If you chip in accordingly you’ll alway have a seat , if you don’t you’ll miss out on a lot of cool experiences. You wouldn’t go out on a party boat and not tip the deck hand .
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:When a boater, I have been offered everything from nothing to , ice and drinks to paying on the fuel. Most of the time I don't take it because I was going anyway and my wife likes it when I have someone on the boat (I have a bad heart).

As a non-boater I have offered to pay money, bought breakfast, bought gas and split cost of snacks.

But one thing is if you expect it, bring it up when you or he make the offer to fish.

As in (Hey want to split the gas and fish Thursday ) Or (If you get drinks and sandwiches ,I"ll get the Ramp fee, Lets go fishing.)

When I was young I had a friend who paid my way to a lot of places I could not afford to go. He knew and did anyway.

Now its my turn to pay it forward. Best part is now a lot of times I would sit at home but because I have the boat and people to take I spend a lot more time on the water than I would by myself.
This!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

:shock:
mark poulson wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:When a boater, I have been offered everything from nothing to , ice and drinks to paying on the fuel. Most of the time I don't take it because I was going anyway and my wife likes it when I have someone on the boat (I have a bad heart).

This!
Mark next time I’m in Calif. I’m hitting you up to go.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I can’t count the times I’ve seen a thread or heard this discussed over the years. Years ago our club actually had something in the bylaws regarding this. If I remember it was $25 plus half the launch fee. I know it was brought up several times about raising it, honestly not sure if it ever was. I guess for me it’s pretty simple, if your fishing a tournament you should be prepared to pony up some cash. If I invite you to go fishing, then odds are I am not going to take it even if you offer it. I will say, it amazes me how many “new” tournament fisherman can read forums and scour the internet on new technics, gear, you name it.....but have never read a thread on this subject.....just my .02
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

The way my buddies and I do it is, whoever takes their boat, the other guy pays the gate fee. Then it switches if we take their boat. It seems to even out.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I use to fish 2 to 3 days a week during my time when i was in my lure business my wife worked for the county for 33 years and for a retirement present i bought her a nice little 17' monark bass boat. Now that she retired im wondering if she going to ask for me to pay for half the gas and the gate fees and lunch and drinks. First i need too ask if i can go.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote::shock:
mark poulson wrote:

This!
Mark next time I’m in Calif. I’m hitting you up to go.
Anytime. You have my number.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Bottom line for a fun day on the water with no tournament involved, if you're a guest offer to bring something like lunch and/or drinks or share the cost of expenses if you want to be invited back again. If you're a boater and have any expectations make sure they are known prior to going out.