BASS cancels 2019 west coast events

rico

BASS cancels 2019 west coast events

Post by rico »

BASS announced it has cancelled the two 2019 Elite Series events on the west coast, on the Ca Delta and Columbia river. It seems they were acting on the wishes of the majority of the pros.
Whoopbass

Re: BASS cancels 2019 west coast events

Post by Whoopbass »

Sucks for us but I wouldn't want to drive that far either. If B.A.S.S. wants them to come out here they should provide them with a $1500 gas card.
cdrake

Post by cdrake »

Not surprised.

Could this be the beginning of B.A.S.S. ignoring the west completely? With so many events out east, so many different circuits (MLF, Opens, FLW etc), and sponsor commitments, is there ever an opportune time to come west? Not saying it will happen but food for thought.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

MLF & Johnny Morris “ are about to change the world of professional bass fishing ! BASS & FLW are going to have to do some major restructuring “ to keep up !
kmah

Post by kmah »

rico wrote:BASS announced it has cancelled the two 2019 Elite Series events on the west coast, on the Ca Delta and Columbia river. It seems they were acting on the wishes of the majority of the pros.
Where do you see this? Curious as they still show them on the schedule and there wasn’t anything posted on their site.

https://www.bassmaster.com/2019-tournament-schedule

Thanks
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The events are cancelled Ken.
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

Boy that stinks I was hoping to marshal both events.
Bigfishadventures

Post by Bigfishadventures »

Sure hope there will be a west coast swing with the new mlf
scubaman

Post by scubaman »

Hummm I get it from the Pro's perspective but...maybe I should cancel my BASS membership and support companies that support the West Coast too....
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

In defense, BASS wanted to come out here. The anglers did not. I don't blame them either. It's a hell of a haul and the reason so many of our anglers have simply moved back East to fish BASS. It's just a suck situation all the way around. In the old days the guys would of simply loaded up and headed out but it's a different world we live in now.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

The big discussion ...

Tune in to hear it....

This week on the Ultimate Bass Radio Show every Saturday at 5am on Sports 1140 KHTK

B.A.S.S. has decided to cancel the 2019 Western Swing that included stops on the California Delta and Columbia River. They have told us that is was a decision based on the survey from the anglers that felt it was too far to travel to the West and it added expenses to the anglers. We will discuss it....
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Costs are just too much for them to justify coming out here.
M Pollard

Post by M Pollard »

I don’t think it’s right.. What about the West Coast Anglers? Skeet,Zaldain, Ish, etc? That is the job, I don’t get to chose we’re I go to work if they send me some were else.. Bass should make the Schedule and you go, Don’t like it, go work or fish some other circuit like FLW... One of the Best Bass waters in the world, Records could be broken and they chose not to travel.. Britt does it for FLW, I can be done.. I would if I had the opurtinity to be a Bass Pro.. Suck it up, It’s once every 4 years they come to the West Coast.. The Pro’s are hurting there profession by not coming and getting new people and Kids interested in Bass Fishing from the West Coast.. Big Mistake... disappointed...
Mike Boyles

Post by Mike Boyles »

$$$$$ seems to be a shake-up in the industry right now with some of the stuff going on.
When I fished on the tour a couple years I just got in my truck with my camper and boat and started driving to Florida and or New York. It was pretty freaking exciting. I know it's a long haul out to the West Coast but why so many guys are complaining about it because there are so many great Fisheries. Spending just a few hundred dollars more in gas over an entire season should not be a deal-breaker for BASS to cancel those two West Coast tournaments
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Even more of a reason to support what we CURRENTLY have out here................FLW Costa, WWBT, and Won Bass. Get the numbers up and we might get some attention nationally.............Maybe.
Rick G
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
erickennsdy73

Post by erickennsdy73 »

BASS was even indecisive with their college series on the west coast. They contemplated even coming back to the west coast when I was in college, and only did so, to my understanding, because they were able to pair it with the BASS Nation state qualifier. They obviously weren't happy with the numbers of teams at their events compared to their 200+ team fields back east, but what do you expect when you show such little support to the west coast, especially young, up and coming college anglers?
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

$250,000.00 up front from each venue might change there mined. If ca. and washington would pony up they would most likely show. I dont blame the pro's not wanting to come out here. Whats needed is the orgs.here based in ca need to get there numbers up and keeping them up and work on major sponsorships for each org. First thing is
Mom & pop tackle shops and small
Fishing manufactures here in ca cant support all the fishing orgs here in ca. But as long as the heads of these orgs cant get along with each other nothing will every change. Three orgs.that work and dont conflict with each other
B.A.S.S. FLW MLF three major league fishing orgs. And all with major sponsors. That why they dont want to come out here.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Karrissa

Post by Karrissa »

I get that they don’t want to drive, but they’re job isn’t just in the south or their fans! We watch, we spend our money, we follow, we purchase memberships, we are anglers, and we expect to see them just as much as the people down south. We want them to come up here. It’s kind of in their title of an angler. Go where the fish and fans are. Well we exist up here! We want to see you guys just as much as anyone else. Not going to lie, feels pretty shitty to be cold shoulder like that.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Why do you think some of these ca pro's left ca to go fish back east in B.A.S.S. FLW and MLF Opportunity to fish with these bigger fishing orgs. Getting major sponsors for themselves. What does ca have to offer other and one major fishing org. And lakes Shasta,Clear Lake,Delta thats it. No Opportunity. Back East its wide open.
Flw 38 sponsors
24 are major sponsors
B.A.S.S. 20 sponsors
11 major sponsors
MLF 15 sponsors
11 major sponsor
The old saying go west is long gone the real Opportunity is east.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I have fished in Texas & Ark. a few times “ & it’s like a whole different world ! the support these communities give to the sport is phenomenal!.... most of California could care less ! & don’t want to support us !
zethkinnettfishing

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

scubaman wrote:Hummm I get it from the Pro's perspective but...maybe I should cancel my BASS membership and support companies that support the West Coast too....
my thoughts exactly
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

I'm done with BASS and the fisherman that decided to ditch us.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

M Pollard wrote:I don’t think it’s right.. What about the West Coast Anglers? Skeet,Zaldain, Ish, etc? That is the job, I don’t get to chose we’re I go to work if they send me some were else.. Bass should make the Schedule and you go, Don’t like it, go work or fish some other circuit like FLW... One of the Best Bass waters in the world, Records could be broken and they chose not to travel.. Britt does it for FLW, I can be done.. I would if I had the opurtinity to be a Bass Pro.. Suck it up, It’s once every 4 years they come to the West Coast.. The Pro’s are hurting there profession by not coming and getting new people and Kids interested in Bass Fishing from the West Coast.. Big Mistake... disappointed...
Well that is exactly why the cancelled them, it was announced the day after MLF's announcement. One could speculate this was a defensive posture for BASS to signal to their anglers that they are listening to them. The days of orgs strong arming anglers may be changing and re-arranging now that there is a new contender shaking up the structure of power.

While this may look like a negative to the west coast anglers the long term it could open up even more opportunities if MLF and the Pros get to where they want to be.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Datguyrightder

Post by Datguyrightder »

Probly should of had that survey a few years ago with the pros i.m.o. an based it on that.
That way the schedule would still be a suprise when it was announced.
Im also disappointed after hearing they were swinging out to the northwest an to nor cal.
Unfortunately b.a.s.s. did not gain any fans after cancelling the events on the westside but may have lost a few...
scubaman

Post by scubaman »

AHHHH..maybe BASS should have done the survey before announcing their dates....just a big tease job!!!!
Darrell Lahman

Post by Darrell Lahman »

Tell the truth I prefer the MLF format anyway. Hella less stress on the fish and they stay in the area where they are caught vs being dragged around in a livewell all day.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Time are changing for professional bass fishing.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Remember in the 70's it was fishing with a few good ol boys getting and fishing as a sport. Now day with sponsors and these fishing orgs its a job for most pro's they go where there companys send them and where there sponsors want to get the most exposure. I would think good ol ca dont fit into there plans. Now with MLF throwing a big curve at FLW & B.A.S.S. there both going to work as close as they can to there home base. Might as well face it WWBT is here in ca be thankfull its still here. Im glad gary got and opportunity to move to texas i hope his business move to a next level in his new home. Why get upset because they dont show in the west. Its all about opportunity for companys and they well do best to make sure there pro's try to make sure they make the best living they can for there family's and take care of there sponsors. I would think giving the pro's a break is what i would do no matter where they fish.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Brad Leonard

Post by Brad Leonard »

Here’s something a lot of people do not realize. A lot of these decisions are not made by bass, including this one. There’s an anglers cousil and they made this decision, not Bass.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Here’s another perspective that the anglers of BASS probably considered...

Any monies won in California or Washington are subject to taxes in those respective states.

If you look at the BASS schedule, most if not all their events take place in states that have low or no state income taxes. Any monies won are only subject to federal taxes....this is another example of a business leaving California because of its anti-business climate
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Here's another perspective. New people to bass fishing is not hurting in California. High School clubs popping up everywhere. Boat ramps full in January. My opinion after fishing here for more than 30 years. We do not need BASS to help promote bass fishing here in already high pressured waters. I attended the Bassmaster in Sac a few years ago. Only because my son was weighing in from the college tournament. Was expecting much more out of BASS. Only a handful of booths and things to do. Frankly it was lame. Hardly enough to boost the economy. In 2018 there was a tournament on Don Pedro almost every weekend from February thru April. I can no more go to my home lake on a Thursday or Friday and have to myself. Instead it is Tuesday or Wednesday. I get it though from a business standpoint. But as Fisherman, I say good riddance. I'm not judging anybody opinion just trying to look at the positive side.
Dobyns Rods
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

I'm so done with watching guys boat flip and net fish. FLW television coverage sucks because of the boring nets. Bassmaster television coverage sucks because of guys, like Hackney, boat flipping everything, The guys on here that post their unnecessary boat flip videos are pathetic.
As already said, the beating that weigh-in fish take is not good for the fishery. Huge fish populations are being moved on many lakes. It's time to do as little of this as possible. I know some guys will still boat flip on MLF and BPT, but with a penalty. I hope MLF/PBT succeeds.
I respect most guys that love to put big money on the line in weigh-in tournaments, but it would be nice not to feel their wrath every time that I fish my favorite lakes (Clearlake and Havasu) in the West. Hopefully the catch and weigh formats will help limit the damage. I'll never stop spending large amounts of money on bass fishing, no matter what the tournament organizations do.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I say “to Hell with BASS” !... we need to support our local tourney orgs! just as Greg G said “ WWBT, FLW , WON Bass, ! show some love !.....
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Skippy wrote:Here’s another perspective that the anglers of BASS probably considered...

Any monies won in California or Washington are subject to taxes in those respective states.

If you look at the BASS schedule, most if not all their events take place in states that have low or no state income taxes. Any monies won are only subject to federal taxes....this is another example of a business leaving California because of its anti-business climate
That's true for California; however, Washington does not have a State income tax. Anyway they didn't when I lived there
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
boomernds

Post by boomernds »

I know they didn't "poll" all the anglers about this decision. There are a few West Coast anglers what were pretty upset about canceling the West Coast swing, and they knew nothing about the decision.

Instead it sounds like BASS was reacting to a group of complaining anglers... and the situation was compounded by the impending MLF announcement. The decision has a double-edge though... How many of the complaining anglers are going to take the MLF bid and ditch BASS next season anyways? And, what if the decision to cancel a west coast swing upsets a few "popular" west coast guys who might have stayed with BASS, had they not canceled the swing.

It's hard to criticize BASS right now though. The MLF move seems to have a destructive focus on BASS. They're inviting over 1/2 of their anglers, while only removing a few guys from the FLW (and leaving guys like Thrift, Morgan, and Martin.) It would seem like FLW will have the upper hand as it pertains to marketing talent, over BASS.

There are supposedly one million BASS members on the West side that aren't getting much attention. Maybe we should get FLW or WWBT to grab the permits for the Columbia River event...
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

Just thinking....an annual membership to BASS is $25...if there was one million members of BASS in the nine western states that didn't pay their membership($25 million), would they pay attention then? What if there is more than one million members that didn't pay? Since Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas is the major sponsor of BASS and MLF, if we didn't patronize them and shopped at our small local businesses, Sportsman Warehouse, Dick's Sporting Goods and others, would they pay attention then? If I was paying big sponsorship money to pro anglers, I would want my product demo'd across the USA, just not on the east coast. How do they expect the expansion of fishing & spectators to grow if they don't treat us all equal. All over gas money that the sponsors pay for.

I was just thinking..
Smallie83

Post by Smallie83 »

2019 is going to be a crazy year in professional bass fishing.
cedmondson96

Post by cedmondson96 »

Yet another slap in our faces! Bad enough Zona mostly gone from coverage. Bad enough they only come out west once or twice a decade. Bad enough BASS is loaded with top tier west coast pros. Bad enough driving from Florida to Great Lakes or New York. What’s so freakin bad about driving out west every 4-5 years?

Fact Is they come out here get there asses kicked and our west coast guys go back there and more than hold there own!

This is why they don’t want to “come out west”
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Are some of you anglers really that hurt that these org isnt coming out here to fish. Is this going disrupt your daily routine in life because they dont show out west. You'll need to brace yourself because if they the democrats get there way in northen ca. You wont need bass to come because there not going to help you. You'll need to focus on keeping the delta in tac and not let them tear that great fishery apart in sacramento. My focus would be staying here too try to save the delta. I wouldn't worry about B.A.S.S. there not going to help you. I dont live in northern ca but it ashame what there doing up and down this state.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

[quote="jiggin4bass"]Are some of you anglers really that hurt that this org isnt coming out here to fish. Is this going disrupt your daily routine in life because they dont show out west. You'll need to brace yourself because if they the democrats get there way in northen ca. You wont need bass to come because there not going to help you. You'll need to focus on keeping the delta in tac and not let them tear that great fishery apart in sacramento. My focus would be staying here too try to save the delta. I wouldn't worry about B.A.S.S. there not going to help you. I dont live in northern ca but it ashame what there doing up and down this state.[/quote]
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Are some of you anglers really that hurt that these org isnt coming out here to fish. Is this going disrupt your daily routine in life because they dont show out west. You'll need to brace yourself because if they the democrats get there way in northen ca. You wont need bass to come because there not going to help you. You'll need to focus on keeping the delta in tac and not let them tear that great fishery apart in sacramento. My focus would be staying here too try to save the delta. I wouldn't worry about B.A.S.S. there not going to help you. I dont live in northern ca but it ashame what there doing up and down this state.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

One more reason B.A.S.S. is a no show and they concluded that they come up with why it cost to much is. 106 anglers are from that region of the country and 3 are from Ca. 1 from Nev. 1 from Az.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jg

Post by jg »

Bret Hite, Josh Bertrand, Cliff Pirch, Dean Rojas and Roy Hawk all from Az.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

...First, the 2019 Elite Series field size will be based on 80 anglers, down from 110 last year. This reduction in the number of competitors will not only allow the pros to get more exposure through B.A.S.S. media platforms, but also will improve their odds of winning and qualifying for the Bassmaster Classic.

The new format features three no-entry fee events that will payout $1 million each: ....

Read the rest from B.A.S.S. announcement-elite-anglers-cut-reduced- ... 17390.html
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

jiggin4bass wrote:One more reason B.A.S.S. is a no show and they concluded that they come up with why it cost to much is. 106 anglers are from that region of the country and 3 are from Ca. 1 from Nev. 1 from Az.
Anglers originally from California (both those currently living in CA and those who were originally from CA but moved out of state to be more centrally located) include Skeet Reese, Ish Monroe, Mark Daniels Jr, Brent Ehrler, Aaron Martens, Chris Zaldain, and Justin Lucas. (If I left anyone out, I apologize) And Luke Clausen is from Washington state, I believe. So with those anglers, plus the AZ anglers listed by jg, plus John Murray (another former AZ angler) that brings the total for Western anglers to 14, which is over 10% of all anglers fishing the Elites
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

It like any other big sport Pro fisherman, Pro bowlers Race car drivers that want to drive nascar indy imsa your not going to make it here if your in ca. Its a fact the
Pba tour no ca stops Nascar twice a year and ca speedway may be going away so that leave sonoma. Everyone of these orgs. are based the east are there for a reason. As long as ca is the way they are in doing business these org will avoid coming here period.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jg

Post by jg »

Jared Lintner lives in Cal also.
DDG

Post by DDG »

I hope this puts into perspective the importance of us all supporting our sport, local organizations and circuits. Seeing guys that are capable of competing at the FLW Costa, WWBT, and WON Pro level still competing as Co anglers.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Im going to support them if they come out here or not. I support the PBA tour and the PBA50 tour. And PBA50 tour come to brentwood ca. Once a year.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley