How does the MLF changes affect California Bass fisherman?

Rich hamilton

How does the MLF changes affect California Bass fisherman?

Post by Rich hamilton »

Was just wondering what changes will happen to us here in California with the addition of the MLF tour? It is hard to look into a crystal ball but my instinct is that there will be more opportunities/funds for western anglers in the future.

I was thinking the domino affect with 80 angler's leaving BASS/FLW there has to be a new qualifying feeder system in place. I understand the fields have been cut down for each organization but I still believe it leaves a gap of 40 anglers. Maybe college fishing will fill those spots?

Maybe fishing here in California will remain as it is?
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
JL

Re: How does the MLF changes affect California Bass fisherman?

Post by JL »

Looking like its time to do what Gary Dobyns and Bobby Barrack did, head to Texas where fishing is a way of life! Calif only has the weather to offer. My 2 cents.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Rich hamilton wrote:Maybe fishing here in California will remain as it is?
I get it that BASS, MLF and FLW are reorganizing their programs and to some degree leaving California. Since the weekend/Club/low-level tournament angler has got to out number these elite level professionals by 2000 to 1, how is there concern about bass fishing in California ? Perhaps I am missing the point of the post.
WRB

Post by WRB »

MLF doesn't rely on event support by the community where the event is held, no weigh in, no event sales promotion.
California offers excellent bass fishing venues and no reason for MLF not include western events.
Tom
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Michael,

I agree that the entry level anglers outnumber the elite anglers that is a very true fact. In my heart I am hoping this increase in competition from MLF benefits California anglers and that we have some new format to fish at the next level with BASS or FLW. The dream for many entry level angler's is to keep on moving up the chain of competition and someday compete at the highest level. Skeet's recent announcement/video stated that very eloquently.

Specifically here in California the only way for anyone to "dream" of doing that is to fish the Costa FLW, qualify for the tour and begin to pursue a person's goals.

For B.A.S.S. you can fish the Opens which the qualifying events have been greatly reduced and the odds of qualifying for the elite's is pretty tough to say the least.

For MLF, not sure what is in store for anyone.

The current organizations see the future of the sport as High school and College anglers. The removal of the Co-Angler as the future of the sport makes this very evident.

I believe the future of the sport in California is Kayak Bass fishing competitions as very few folks can afford boats as noted in recent Bass boat sales nationwide.

Like I said in the post, I wish I had a crystal ball because the future will look a lot different for our sport.
Last edited by Rich hamilton on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Tom,

Great point! It is all about TV air time.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Rich,
Thank you for the explanation. I did not understand the substance of your original post, your clarification is well stated.
As a 60+ year old Club fisherman, who is lucky to bring a 10 lb sack to the scales, the concept of moving "up the ladder" to higher levels did not enter into my thought process.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Michael,

Sorry for the rambling response and lack of clarification of what I was trying to say, a ten pound sack sounds good to me :)
WRB

Re: How does the MLF changes affect California Bass fisherme

Post by WRB »

[quote][/quote]MLF eliminates weigh in sacks! :wink:
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The biggest barrier in getting BASS and BPT come to the west coast is distance, and the Rocky Mountains.
It is just too expensive for the competing anglers to make the trek, unless they are subsidized by their respective tours, and I don't see that happening.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote:The biggest barrier in getting BASS and BPT come to the west coast is distance, and the Rocky Mountains.
It is just too expensive for the competing anglers to make the trek, unless they are subsidized by their respective tours, and I don't see that happening.

So MLF supplies the boats and there is no prefishing.

An angler hops on an airplane, lands in California, fishes MLF and then goes home.

Sounds like that could really be good for western fishing.

Someone just needs to show MLF the Delta and Clear lake, or since they are driven to the lake without knowing where put them up in Modesto and drive them to any of the lakes near by

Don Pedro !!!!!!!!!! :D
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I figured you still had nightmares about missing Pedro :)
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Rich hamilton wrote:I figured you still had nightmares about missing Pedro :)

Florida is nice and all the guys in my club are great.

BUT

Pedros big fish ( my 2 largest fish came from there) and my friend Rick Hoover will always be a bright memory in my life.

I am thinking of driving out in march to do some fishing :D

What makes MLF great. I watched MLF on Blue Cypress and saw world class fishermen fishing the same water that I had fished and having the same results as my club had in our tournament there.

That is what makes MLF so interesting to me.
jg

Post by jg »

I don't see MLF coming out west anytime soon. It is the same anglers that just got BASS to change the schedule from having 2 tournaments scheduled out west next year. I doubt you see them anywhere past Texas.
M Pollard

Post by M Pollard »

Rod Martin-
I fished a Anglers Coice Pro Am and drawed Rick Hoover. He had 1 fish by 230, and weigh in was at 3.We pull up on a Mudline in Mid Lake Across from Hatch and Grave Yard and he Boated 4 Fish on a Brown with a Red uncle Josh Porkrin in 10 mins. I would net one, he would cast out and get another, i could not tie a jig on fast enough. he ended up in 3rd..Weighed 16. something, Never forget that... Never give up..... :) :) :)
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

M Pollard wrote:Rod Martin-
I fished a Anglers Coice Pro Am and drawed Rick Hoover. He had 1 fish by 230, and weigh in was at 3.We pull up on a Mudline in Mid Lake Across from Hatch and Grave Yard and he Boated 4 Fish on a Brown with a Red uncle Josh Porkrin in 10 mins. I would net one, he would cast out and get another, i could not tie a jig on fast enough. he ended up in 3rd..Weighed 16. something, Never forget that... Never give up..... :) :) :)
A lot of memories , all good . Fishing with Rick Hoover
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

jg wrote:I don't see MLF coming out west anytime soon. It is the same anglers that just got BASS to change the schedule from having 2 tournaments scheduled out west next year. I doubt you see them anywhere past Texas.

Since their stuff is mostly for TV. I can see them come out west spend a month filming then moving bast east.
I know the series I watch the most was filmed in Florida on Blue Cypress Lake at the time it was filmed MLF also filmed on several other lakes. I think it ended up being 3 or 4 shows for them

Bass and FLW don't have the ability to do this with their format.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

An angler hops on an airplane, lands in California, fishes MLF and then goes home.

Someone just needs to show MLF the Delta and Clear lake, or since they are driven to the lake without knowing where put them up in Modesto and drive them to any of the lakes near by

Just had this conversation this weekend. House the MLF guys in Modesto, 1 hour to McClure, Pedro, Melones, Camanche, the delta. Tons of fishing spots around close and I would also like to see these guys show up at lakes we fish with no practice and see how well they do.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Rod Martin wrote:
mark poulson wrote:The biggest barrier in getting BASS and BPT come to the west coast is distance, and the Rocky Mountains.

I just got done watching the Brandon Palaniuk announcement video. He stated that they would be able to keep their own trucks, boats and wraps. So I'm guessing that they will only be using the MLF Catch-Weigh-Release format. Maybe a short-notice lake announcement to cut down/eliminate pre-fishing, but again that's just a guess. We'll just have to wait and see what shakes out in the weeks ahead.

Here's the link:
brandon-palaniuk-video-announcement-t117584.html
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I don't see them coming out west. Even an airplane ride is out of their pockets and that is what they were sniveling about. Since they all 'own' it, traveling, film crews, boat transport, etc cuts into their purse as well as any other costs. Let's face it, chase the dollars.....
Morgan
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I don't see them coming out west. Even an airplane ride is out of their pockets and that is what they were sniveling about. Since they all 'own' it, traveling, film crews, boat transport, etc cuts into their purse as well as any other costs. Let's face it, chase the dollars.....
Morgan
milehi

Post by milehi »

Way I read it there's 80 guys doing the BPT using their boats, 8 tournys I think, but MLf stays the same with the same guys for now. Love the show but the long term byproduct is more people on the water