Quick Report 9/22/18

THE DR

Quick Report 9/22/18

Post by THE DR »

We made a couple exploratory trips this weekend to try and find some of the larger models. Focusing mainly on the Sac river side, we burned a ton of gas and made hundreds of casts for small bursts of action. When targeting the big girls we only throw 6-9" topwater plugs and 10-13" glidebaits. This does limit how many bites we actually get, but produces some heart pounding moments, when you do get one of the big fish show itself, by rolling on or bumping the bait. Over all it was pretty slow for us. We did manage a couple fish per trip to 10lbs on DeltaWoodBommber wood plugs. And, had a few 20-30lb fish follow the Deps 250 and TripleTrout, but none committed. It's still early for the fall run, so our hopes remain high for the coming months.

For more Striper action follow me on IG at @Fishstix024 or on FB at The BombSquad DeltaWoodBombers

jcbassin

Re: Quick Report 9/22/18

Post by jcbassin »

Great post and pic. Are you primary targeting Stripers in the incoming? High tides? Thanks
ILW

Post by ILW »

Thanks for the striper report! good one there!
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

jcbassin wrote:Great post and pic. Are you primary targeting Stripers in the incoming? High tides? Thanks
Both tides... But, most of my favorite spots only fish well on the high tide. That's when the bigger fish move up shallow and feed.
FeatherRivGuy

Post by FeatherRivGuy »

Nice fish, I’ll be checking out the plugs you used. I’m just learning Swimbaits for striper and was looking at the depps 250, can you recommend a starter color? I was looking at the flash carp and rice carp.
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

FeatherRivGuy wrote:Nice fish, I’ll be checking out the plugs you used. I’m just learning Swimbaits for striper and was looking at the depps 250, can you recommend a starter color? I was looking at the flash carp and rice carp.
Unless you're fishing ultra clear water, I don't believe color is that big a factor for stripers. Bone, which isn't a natural pattern at all, seems to always produce. Basically if you can put it in their face at the right time, they're gonna eat it.

For the Deps 250 we have had success on Flash Carp, Wild Carp, Keta Bass, trout and Chartruese. All have got bit, none really out shine the other.
FeatherRivGuy

Post by FeatherRivGuy »

Thanks for the help! Can you recommend some of the plugs you use? The Sac is pretty dirty, the feather has 3-5’ visibility. I’m thinking it’s more about the action and getting it in front of them but confidence helps.
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

FeatherRivGuy wrote:Thanks for the help! Can you recommend some of the plugs you use? The Sac is pretty dirty, the feather has 3-5’ visibility. I’m thinking it’s more about the action and getting it in front of them but confidence helps.
Again I'll say color is secondary for striper with the top water plugs. I'll consider clarity and surface conditions when selecting what kind of plug I use.

Clear-stained water and under 10mph wind, I'll always throw a wood plug.

Dirty water or wind over 10mph I'll switch to a plastic pencil popper or walking bait with rattles.

Delta Wood Bombers is a local made wood plug and has always been my go to. Standard colors are babybass, pearl, bone and rainbow trout.