PB Smallie

ttb31183

PB Smallie

Post by ttb31183 »

This year I've had pretty good luck with getting people on their best smallie ever and it happened again Wednesday. I went out with my wife and her co-worker for a half day trip to Newman Lake. They are both in real estate and short on time so we spent four hours in the morning. That was all they needed to catch some big smallmouth.

My wife fishes all the time, so her 4.32lb was a nice fish but still over a pound less than her personal best. The 4.79 that her co-worker caught was his pb smallie and pb bass of either species. It was fun to see the excitement from him as he was fighting that fish on light line.

We caught several more fish including a few two and three pounders, but these were the ones that made the trip a success. This is the start of what I consider the best time of year to fish around here and I am sure I'll have several more trips like this over the next month or two.

This particular lake is pretty small and the smallmouths have really gotten bigger over the past few years. You used to catch 12" all the time and now it is not uncommon to have days like this with two over four pounds. We were targeting some of the main points on the lake, fishing rocks with a Ned Rig. No secret there. Typical smallie stuff!
Tyler Brinks