Re-carpeting Trailer Bunks

dogfish2

Re-carpeting Trailer Bunks

Post by dogfish2 »

Looking for recommendations for a place to re-carpet trailer bunks in the Bay Area. Also, any idea of cost to do job on a Rangertrailer for a Z520 bass boat. Thanks.
MichaelB

Re: Re-carpeting Trailer Bunks

Post by MichaelB »

Try the Ranger Forum at BBC ..... there will be DIY advice as well as part costs
You may also investigate Gator Back Bunks ..... a different surface that lessens the chance of developing hull blisters

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Thanks. I read DIYpost on BBC. The Gatorbak looks interesting, however their website states that it is not recommended for drive-on trailers.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

I don't have Gatorbaks .... I know there is a lot of chatter about them.
My bunks are in good shape so I have not had to replace. Obvious problem is your boat needs to be off the trailer.
Have you called Ranger and checked on replacements ?
BassPro also sells them for $40 to $50 a pair.
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Good idea but shipping costs from Ranger Factory to California would be astronomical. Probably best to find a shop that can lift the boat and work on the bunks.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

dogfish2 wrote:Good idea but shipping costs from Ranger Factory to California would be astronomical. Probably best to find a shop that can lift the boat and work on the bunks.
Shipping on all bunks and sidewall set to bay area is $145.... Total for everything 4 bunks 2 sidewalls and shipping and tax. $650.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You can replace the bunks yourself.
First, make sure you can remove the mounting hardware. You can do that in your driveway, with the boat on the trailer, as long as you do one at a time, and reinstall one before you remove the next.
Buy true pressure treated lumber the same size as your bunk boards, cut it to the proper length.
Wrap the new boards on the top and sides with boat bunk/outdoor carpet. Use 3M spray adhesive to attach the carpet, fold the carpet over so it laps onto the bottom an inch and a half, and use staples to finish the attachment on the bottom. Be sure to leave some of the bottom face uncovered, so the bunks can dry between trips.
Predrill mounting holes in the new bunks, using the old bunks as a pattern.
Launch your boat, tie it off to a dock, and then go back to the parking lot and swap out your bunks.
Be sure to take your mounting tools with you, including a drill and bits, in case you holes don't line up.
I did it, using galvanized carriage bolts, nuts, and washers, because I couldn't find SST carriage bolts at the time, or I'd have used SST.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Basscat1972

Post by Basscat1972 »

Bass Cat had them for $250, not bad right, but the kicker was 200 shipping and four weeks out. All said and done for just under a hundred bucks I did it myself. Got carpet from camping world and used a 3M spray adhesive. Seems to be working good thus far.
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Appreciate all the input and ideas. Still deciding on the best option.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I did mine a fews years ago . easy job . Buy the wood , cut to length . Take penetrating Epoxy and coat the wood twice .
Marine carpet adhesive , tack the carpet , staple down . Take to the lake ( on a slow day ) bring your tools , swap out the bunks and done --cost , less than $100 .
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Sounds good. Does the $100.00 include cost of bunk carpet? What weight carpet did you use? Thanks
MasterBassinator

Post by MasterBassinator »

You can buy carpeted bunks on Amazon
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Wow, thanks. Will check it out. Amazon has everything, just not good for small retailers.
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Couldn't find any 12" carpeted bunk to fit Rangertrailer
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

dogfish2 wrote:Couldn't find any 12" carpeted bunk to fit Rangertrailer
The problem with buying bunks from an unknown source online is you may not be able to find out what kind of wood they used. If it's not good pressure treated lumber you're just throwing your money out the window.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Agree. Very good point.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Actually, boat bunks are rarely pressured treated lumber, rarely. Ranger uses a pine/fir that is not pressure treated.
I cant remember the exact term but I believe it was yellow fir, and they said it was not pressure treated. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Trail Rite Trailers one time told me to use Douglas fir, straight with no knots, and don't cover the bottom so it can dry out. They claimed that this wood would take the shape of the boat over time.
There She Is!!!
drew

Post by drew »

Do not recover. Replace the whole bunk. Pressure treated is for pests and not needed for this application. As mentioned you can easily R&R them in the parking lot at your favorite lake after you launch your boat. Pacific trailers is located in Socal and has all of the materials. I recommend stainless steel staples.
dogfish2 wrote:Looking for recommendations for a place to re-carpet trailer bunks in the Bay Area. Also, any idea of cost to do job on a Rangertrailer for a Z520 bass boat. Thanks.
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Makes sense to get new boards and carpet.

Thanks for all the good input and ideas, guys.
Par

Post by Par »

Like Drew said, be sure to use stainless steel staples!
Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn