Need boat mechanic for electrical issues

rturnr

Need boat mechanic for electrical issues

Post by rturnr »

Hello. I've got a 1998 Ranger Cherokee and I've lost power to the switch panel on the console. I contacted Ranger who sent me a wiring diagram and I've changed out all the fuses I can find which is the extent of my electrical abilities and still nothing. Anyone have a recommendation where I should take my boat? I live in Vacaville and while Gone Fishin Marine is nearby, I'm not sure they're my best option. Thanks.
WRB

Re: Need boat mechanic for electrical issues

Post by WRB »

Any good electrician can solve your problem. You have a wiring diagram so it's a mater of starting at the power source and checking voltage at each connection. Could be a switch,circuit breaker, fuse, poor connection or broken wire.
Good luck,
Tom
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Are you somewhat mechanically knowledgeable?
Gotch

Post by Gotch »

Recommend taking it to Jeremy at C&C Marine in Citrus Heights. They do excellent work and its only about 45 minutes from Vacaville. And yes, I would NOT recommend taking it to Gone Fishin Marine for any work.
JL

Post by JL »

You most likely are getting power to your dash from your starting battery. Would be a red (hot) and a black (ground) wire. It then should either be fused or go thru a circuit breaker. Most likely these will be located in your battery compartment. You said you checked all the fuses already. Make sure if you have a circuit breaker, that it isn't popped. If in doubt try to reset it. Go get yourself a 12 volt test light and find where the power wires are coming into the dash. Check there to see if you have power. If no power, you will need to determine if you have a loose or broken wire between the battery and dash. You will need a voltmeter for this check. Also, sometimes ground wires can cause electrical nightmares as well. Check and clean all suspected connections. Hope you can get it figured out.
sy

Post by sy »

Check your ignition
R73guide

Post by R73guide »

Did you ever figure it out?