The shocking scene for anglers who waited for the striped bass blitz

WB Staff

The shocking scene for anglers who waited for the striped bass blitz

Post by WB Staff »

The shocking scene for anglers who waited for the striped bass blitz.png
The scene that shocked East Coast anglers who waited all year to cruise up to striped bass blitzing on an embattled forage fish

I look forward to fall fishing all year long. It is a little cooler, the days a little shorter, and the convergence of baitfish and predators feeds the fabled fall blitz and takes over my imagination. A few weeks ago, I headed out ready to fish the fall migration with coolers full, sandwiches made, and strong reports of striped bass, false albacore, and bluefish in the area. A Long Island Grand Slam was on our agenda.

We couldn’t get out there fast enough when we saw what every angler wants to see: birds dive-bombing the water above a huge pod of bunker. These Atlantic menhaden support pretty much every sportfish we care about. And they’re so critical to the ecosystem that anglers up and down the East Coast would like to see them managed with their value as a forage fish in mind.

Through binoculars, we saw an even larger flock of birds indicating some action in the distance, so we got the boat up on plane and gunned it to see what was going on. But we were not prepared to see a 200-foot purse seining boat vacuuming up millions of bunker.

I knew this was happening down in Virginia—where a single company represents the last holdout in the commercial harvest of menhaden—but what the heck were these boats doing up in New York waters? Hearing about it is bad, but seeing the scale of this type of fishing in person is shocking and demoralizing. There was a spotter plane flying above to find the fish and two smaller boats dispatched by the mother ship to surround the school with a huge net.

They were removing millions of pounds of bait that make our best days on the water possible. And, quite simply, if you remove the bait, the predators will leave, too. Imagine a fresh chill in the air and no birds on the horizon.

Read the rest of the story at Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership here: http://www.trcp.org/2018/10/18/dreams-f ... nightmare/
mark poulson

Re: The shocking scene for anglers who waited for the striped bass blitz

Post by mark poulson »

That's just not right.
Catching those fish for export to Canada, is like using Delta water to raise nuts for export to China!
If Canada can't feed it's farmed salmon from Canadian waters, maybe they shouldn't farm salmon.
If San Joaquin farmers can't raise it's nuts without water from the Delta, maybe they shouldn't raise nuts.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY