opion on smoke damage to fishing tackel

Sparky6

opion on smoke damage to fishing tackel

Post by Sparky6 »

2006 ranger boat with smoke damage from fire. do you think it effected the lures and worms that were in the boat. the boat is fine just needs to be cleaned just wondering about all the tackle in the boat . please let me know all your opinions thanks ...
Kanbass

Re: opion on smoke damage to fishing tackel

Post by Kanbass »

The most important thing is to carefully and thoughtfully read the instructions, in order to avoid problems, I always do so.
reginald

Post by reginald »

Sorry to hear your bad news.
But I don't think this affected your tackles.
Kinzun

Post by Kinzun »

I think that this is not quite true;)
JPFish

Post by JPFish »

Following this thread....
Post by Kinzun » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

I think that this is not quite true;)
Kinzun...why do think this is not true? Please explain. Thanks.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

How much smoke are you talking about ..... Was your garage on fire or is this residual smoke from a Cali wildfire ?Depending upon what your level of competitiveness is, Bass can surely smell and I would not use any plastics that were saturated in smoke. You can rinse off your hard baits. Your line is less of an issue, but I would also be looking forward to respooling sooner. This all depends of course on just what the level of exposure was.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Depending on how your tackle was stored would be the deciding factor. Sealed bags and new never opened bags of plastic should be ok, but loose plastic in plano boxes or open bags I would think there'd be some smoke smell in them. Hard plastics could probably be washed in non-oder dish soap and rinsed well. Also, exposed line may be a problem. Rods and Reels should be ok also. But, it all boils down to just how much smoke was involved. Good luck tho.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
WRB

Post by WRB »

Hard baits you clean in warm water mixed with baking soda, about a cup to a gallon and rinse with warm water, hang to dry. You can the same with soft plastics if they have a stronge smokey ordor, dry then add a little glycerin oil in zip lock bags to store.
The big issue to deodorize of smoke is the boat carpeted areas, rod and storage lockers.
Good luck,
Tom