halibut and salmon fishing

tinybass

halibut and salmon fishing

Post by tinybass »

Wondering if any Western Bass readers' been to Alaska or British Colombia for halibut and salmon fishing? Any tips and suggestions or outfit to contact?
Thanks in advance.
Robb R

Re: halibut and salmon fishing

Post by Robb R »

I have been twice . Kinda a bucket list thing I did with my kids .
I didn't do any river fishing , just ocean . I fished in South East Alaska . Chigacoff Island , Elfin Cove . Eagle Charters.
They have access to " inside" waters and open ocean ( both 20-50 minutes in a boat) . Difference being . Inside waters are almost exclusively halibut . Inside waters won't have the " swells " that Open ocean waters get. Being able to fish " Inside" waters is great if you tend to get seasick and/or if the weather makes the open ocean impossible to fish . Open Ocean , or what they called " outside " waters will have everything , Halibut , Lingcod , sea bass , Salmon , various other smaller fish . The outside waters your typically not dealing with tidal flows , but swells can be from 1-2 feet to 7-10 feet . Inside waters your dealing with big tidal flows between all the islands and that means 12-24 ounces to hold bottom . Eagle charters is remote , so it's a fly in lodge and nothing to really do except fish . We caught Halibut up to 130 lbs , Lingcod up to 55lbs , Bass ( 4-6 lbs on light tackle , as many as you want) . King Salmon up to 35 lbs and Silvers to 12 lbs . The KIngs run from late May to mid July , Silvers run from July to Sept. One day we slammed Ling Cod to 55 lbs and Halibut to 70 lbs using 12oz Jigs with Big Un Taiis @ 120 - 150 feet , after 3 or 4 of those fish , your plum worn out .
Back when I went , it was $4K for 4 days fishing per person , all inclusive , crazy good food . The only additional charges are plane flights and tipping the crew . Both times I came back with 200lbs of all types of fresh fish , flash frozen , sealed , packed and boxed .
You can probably find cheaper places , but for me , Eagle Charters was awesome . First class lodge , food , captains ,boats etc... Having good quality boats was really important to me , it's Alaska and it's no BS regarding weather and terrain . I would go back in a minute .
Robb
WRB

Post by WRB »

Halibut you think of ocean area around Seaward or Homer, King salmon could be ocean or rivers. Mid June was the King salmon month years ago, don't know anymore. If I was to go in 2019 for both halibut and salmon I would try a fly in island trip like Pelican to save boat travel time and be closer to where you stay if the weather isn't decent. There are some newer lodges with up to date boats so that would be another factor to consider. I no longer have any contacts in the area.
Should have a good trip regardless, just do your homework and check into Robb's suggestion, sounds good me.
Tom
Nevadabassin

Post by Nevadabassin »

I have been to Alaska 2 times. Both times I went to Craig AK. We went out of Catch A King Charters. AMAZING both times. Huge Halibut and King Salmon as well. Huge Ling Cod and different species of rock fish. The facilities are amazing. Crew was super helpful and they clean and package all the fish for you after every trip. Well worth looking into. Hope this helps. P.S They supply you with G-loomis rods to use. Nice quality equiptment