Ultrex question

Grncrestliner

Ultrex question

Post by Grncrestliner »

Has anyone who purchased a new Ultrex been disappointed or thought it turned out to be a waste of money? As I get older my knees are giving me more problems and on some days fighting to hold position is becoming a pain. I was thinking a cable steer with spot lock might be the ticket for me. But at around $3000 it is a big investment for an old retired guy.
Devon8604

Re: Ultrex question

Post by Devon8604 »

i love my Ultrex! It's awesome be able to control the boat and direction from a controller around my neck. I felt the same way you did until the wind picked up on my first trip with it. I was fishing shallow rock piles and hooked into a fish. Instead of having to worry about drifting into the rocks I was able to press spot lock on my remote and only worry about fighting the fish. Previously, i would have had to control my Fortrex, worry about the wind, not crash into the rocks all while fighting a fish. I will never go back. Also the motor isn't as loud as other people have said. I jumped in the lake and listened to both the Ultrex and my old Fortrex and they are very close in noise. i think its worth the money.
bustout

Post by bustout »

I bought it for same reasons but no matter your age or experience you won’t be disappointed it’s a great trolling motor
Paul Matthews

Post by Paul Matthews »

Best investment I ever made. You can get them for $2300. Go to Scott Bird in F/B. He can hook you up.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Ultrex is the absolute best. On top of the spot lock, can be set to maintain a set straight course along a canal or rock wall..... cruise control. The foot control amounts to power steering and is about 20% the effort to run as a Fortrex.
All holes also match up exactly if you are coming out of a Fortrex.

I got mine from Russell Marine, 112 I-Pilot (non-link) for $2100 delivered.
Need to be a BBC member and request a price at this link:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=947806
wgallaher

Post by wgallaher »

I would agree with everything already being said about the Ultrex. The spot lock makes it hard to imagine not having it once you get in the habit of using it regularly.
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

Don’t know how I fished without one!
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

I just sold my old boat that I had just picked up a Foretrex for (Brand new, not used, but great price). I said I've fished that way for 18 years on that boat why do I need the extra gadgets. Well out of the blue I go and buy a new boat/used boat with the Ultrex on it. One day fishing it on the Delta and I'm totally sold on it. Catch a fish, hit the lock, change lures, hit the lock, take a pee hit the lock, help your back seater with a fish, hit the lock. Get tired of working the trolling motor with tides and wind, hit the lock. I couldn't believe how useful that simple feature is.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Absolutely love mine !.... it will reduce the fatigue of standing with one foot on the pedal all day ! only problem I’ve had so far” the prop was vibrating badly!....one call to minn Kota support ....new prop shipped’ free of charge!.... problem solved !...
Bsapp206

Post by Bsapp206 »

Game changer.....quick and effortless, my 4 year old can drive the boat with it. No more twisting around in the wind to fish your spot.
th365thli

Post by th365thli »

I don't think I've seen a single person say they regret the Ultrex. I certainly don't regret mine. The spot lock makes it worth it just by itself but the other features that integrate with Humminbird are very cool too. I particularly like follow the contour.
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

I talked to Minn Kota at the ISE show but still have questions.
If I do not intend to purchase Humminbird products is the built in transducer even worth getting? I have been told the Lowrance units don't perform well on Minn Kota's built in transducers.
I do not intend to purchase one with a link but I might get one with the built in transducer.

Side note the ISE show gets so crowded you cannot get all of your questions answered in one trip.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Grncrestliner wrote:I talked to Minn Kota at the ISE show but still have questions.
If I do not intend to purchase Humminbird products is the built in transducer even worth getting? I have been told the Lowrance units don't perform well on Minn Kota's built in transducers.
I do not intend to purchase one with a link but I might get one with the built in transducer.

Side note the ISE show gets so crowded you cannot get all of your questions answered in one trip.
The "non-link" US2 (universal sonar) transducer works fine with my Lowrance HDS Gen 2 on my bow.
Need to of course select the right transducer option on the Lowrance. The US2 is also pre-wired internally so you don't have the external cable running down your shaft with a bunch of cable ties. The US2 is sonar only ..... does not have Structure Scan.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

The built in universal transducer works great with lowrance units “ all you need is the lowrance adaptor cable ! about $25 on eBay !....
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

Grncrestliner wrote:I talked to Minn Kota at the ISE show but still have questions.

Just like others said, the Universal Sonar 2 built into MK t/m's works real well with Lowrance's, and yes you need to buy the specific adapter yourself. The first built-in sonar many eons ago was a turd for sure but they've got it worked out.
Fish ON!--------------<')))><

Fishfreq at gmail.com
YouTube: FishFreq, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4mzl2QfT3AuE6aiUKA0Gw
https://www.instagram.com/fishfreq/
https://www.facebook.com/Fishfreq
slkric

Post by slkric »

What batteries are people using with the 112? (3) group 27's or 31's?
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

slkric wrote:What batteries are people using with the 112? (3) group 27's or 31's?
I use the biggest battery my compartment will accommodate, which in my case are (3) Duracell 31M
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

Does anybody have any reviews on the ulterra,was thinking about the ease of stow and deploy, would appreciate any feedback
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Give me a call anytime to chat more. I am sponsored by them and have been using the product for many years. I was at the show, but only on Friday. 818-448-3366.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

MichaelB wrote:
slkric wrote:What batteries are people using with the 112? (3) group 27's or 31's?
I use the biggest battery my compartment will accommodate, which in my case are (3) Duracell 31M
I would use 31s unless you are truly a weekend warrior.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

My partner has a 36v Ultrex on a Z520 (heavy) Ranger with 3 group 27 Northstar TPPL AGM's, and we've run the snot outta it all day, we do not avoid wind and waves, and have NEVER come close to getting low batteries. The key is using pure lead tech batteries, Northstar, X2's, Odyssey, Fullriver Full throttle series, etc.

Just because a battery says 'AGM' does NOT mean it's a good battery.

Fishfreq at gmail.com
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Ben520 wrote:Does anybody have any reviews on the ulterra,was thinking about the ease of stow and deploy, would appreciate any feedback
Ben, I have the Ulterra on my deck boat. It was the original model with all the amazing GPS i-pilot features (spot lock, autopilot, ability to follow a contour on some maps). However, the main difference from what I understand between it and the Ultrex is that the Ulterra doesn't have cable type steering feedback of the Ultrex. It has the full electric steering that bass fisherman generally do not like. It does have stow and deploy at a push of a button, which is really cool though. I think the electric steering is not as good if you do a lot of close cover fishing, like flipping in the delta. I rarely use the pedal and just use the handheld remote for steering, which isn't good in close cover.
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

Ben520 wrote:Does anybody have any reviews on the ulterra,was thinking about the ease of stow and deploy, would appreciate any feedback
Ben,

They're very different motors. Although the power stow and deploy is a nice feature with the Ulterra, it pales in comparison to the foot controlled cable power steering tech of the Ultrex. Apples and oranges though. Think of it this way:

If you're a shallow water bass fisherman that's always got your foot on the steering pedal, even stand up bass fishing, running weed lines and fishing docks, etc., the Ultrex is your motor.

If you're a recreational lake bass fisherman that mostly uses spot lock and steer with the wireless remote around your neck, the Ulterra is your motor.

The difference between the Ultrex power cable steering is it always keeps its relationship to the steering, like traditional bass fishing trolling motors. So, after you've used the Ultrex a few times you don't have to look down at the trolling motor direction arrow to see what way you're about to thrust, your foot will 'just know'. That makes it more agile in tight quarters.

The Ulterra's foot pedal is just a steer left, steer right toggle, so your foot can't 'learn' where it's steering, the t/m head can be pointed anywhere. You have to look down to see where you're about to thrust. A little, no, a LOT more awkward for the hard core shallow bass fisherman. Make sense?

Remember, the Ultrex has the 'lift ASSIST' system that HELPS you stow and deploy your t/m. To me, it clearly feels like it assists better than the old Fortrex, BUT if you've got some injury or disability that makes tugging the cable and lifting a t/m, then stick with the Ulterra.

Fishfreq at gmail.com