President Trump has officially moved to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) gasoline sales year-round

WB Staff

President Trump has officially moved to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) gasoline sales year-round

Post by WB Staff »

President Trump has officially moved to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) gasoline sales year-round.jpg
Ethanol Misfueling Danger Laid Bare: Gas Pump Photos

“The ethanol industry doesn’t want you to see these photos”

SPRINGFIELD, Va., -- President Trump has officially moved to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) gasoline sales year-round – a fuel prohibited for use in recreational boats and a decision that recreational boating groups say will needlessly put 142 million American boaters at risk. Protecting Boaters at the Gas Pump is a new website with a series of photos of gas station pumps in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin that clearly shows the challenges boaters face with poor ethanol warning labels at the pump, resulting in a greater risk of misfueling.

The effort is from the National Marine Manufacturers Association’s (NMMA), which was recently shared in “Boating United” campaign that urges recreational boat owners to tweet their members of Congress to stop the expansion of the government-mandated fuel. Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) supports the effort and is urging recreational boaters to share the website with friends:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/dYPx7SjouAr2k/

“The ethanol industry doesn’t want you to see these photos of gas pumps,” said BoatUS Manager of Government Affairs David Kennedy. “The confusion presented to consumers at the pump today is real. Putting the wrong fuel in your boat will likely void your engine’s warranty. We applaud NMMA for clearly showing the misfueling problem.”

E15 is currently banned for sale in many states by the Environmental Protection Agency during summer months over concerns that it contributes to smog on hot days. The push for more ethanol into the nation’s fuel supply is a result of the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS). When it was passed in 2005, RFS assumed that America’s use of gasoline would continue to grow. Since then, however, gasoline usage has not increased as forecast, which today forces more ethanol into each gallon of gas.

BoatUS has long had concerns over potential consumer misfueling with E15. Most recreational boaters refuel their vessels at roadside gas stations where pump-labeling requirements are minimal with just a small E15 orange warning label. The advocacy, services and safety group for recreational boaters is a member of Smarter Fuel Future, a coalition that aims to reform the RFS.
monte300

Re: President Trump has officially moved to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) gasoline sales year-round

Post by monte300 »

are E85 and E15 one in the same?
65mph Bayliner

Re: President Trump has officially moved to allow E15 (15 percent ethanol) gasoline sales year-round

Post by 65mph Bayliner »

monte300 wrote:are E85 and E15 one in the same?
E85 and E15 are exact opposites,

E85 stands for Ethanol 85% (85% ethanol content, 15% gas) and E15 is 15% ethanol content, and 85% gas.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Where on the picture provided is E15 shown?
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

At the photo link in the post... it says this...

Action is needed to ensure consumers are aware of the types of gasoline that are available at the pump and what is safe for their engine. Why? Labeling is inconsistent at stations across the country that are offering E-15, and new legislation would help ensure boaters are protected while fueling up.

Labels are not really clear?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

This sucks!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote:This sucks!

Do you guys have none ethanol gas in California ? Here (Florida) it cost a little more but is worth it to put in my boat.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
WRB

Post by WRB »

To the best of my knowledge Califonia still has E10 blended gasoline for 85 and 89 octane gasoline, CARB rejected E15 blends in Oct 2018 do to cost, supply and demand. Don't know how Trumps E15 move will affect our gasoline? We can still get 91 octane without E10 from retailers ie, Standard and Shell at specific stations.
Tom
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Rod Martin wrote:

Do you guys have non ethanol gas in California ? Here (Florida) it cost a little more but is worth it to put in my boat.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:

Do you guys have non ethanol gas in California ? Here (Florida) it cost a little more but is worth it to put in my boat.

Rod, I don't know.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

So I guess I bring enough gas for my boat if I come to fish Pedro next year. :D

I have a 2009 Mercury that has never had anything but non-ethanol run in it.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:So I guess I bring enough gas for my boat if I come to fish Pedro next year. :D

I have a 2009 Mercury that has never had anything but non-ethanol run in it.
I run whatever blend that's sold here 91 octane in mine, and it's fine.
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

It's looking like the 91 octane now has E10 requirements meaning it may have up to 10% ethanol.
It appears the Ethanol free E0 gasoline is available for aviation gasoline.
I have always used 91 octane except when I was racing, then used 140 octane aviation gasoline.
Tom
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Just buy a new boat with a warranty and you won’t have to worry about it
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Jboutfishn wrote:California may catch a break.
https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Ho ... -for-years
That article was written in 2012
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

JoeLanghans wrote:Just buy a new boat with a warranty and you won’t have to worry about it
I just got this one fixed up the way I want, besides this is my retirement boat. After all its a Ranger, it should last me until I cannot climb in the boat and fish any more. :D

I will be upgrading my motor next year to last forever :shock:
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Easy fix is 4 stroke motors thats what ca. wants you to go too.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jiggin4bass wrote:Easy fix is 4 stroke motors thats what ca. wants you to go too.
Do you mean that 4 strokes don't have a problem with 15% ethanol gas?
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Merc recommends 87 oct ethanol free or 90 octane E10 for thier 4 strokes. E15 is an unknown fuel as to impact on OB's fuel lines or filters. California it's 91 octane.
Tom
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Don’t know why there is worry. It’s just gonna be another hose at the pump. Nobody is forcing you to put E15 in your tank. I don’t think any of the outboard manufacturers have even done tests because there are no requirements to use such a fuel.
zmyers
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

zdbm2004 wrote:Don’t know why there is worry. It’s just gonna be another hose at the pump. Nobody is forcing you to put E15 in your tank. I don’t think any of the outboard manufacturers have even done tests because there are no requirements to use such a fuel.
For now. :evil:
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

zdbm2004 wrote:Don’t know why there is worry. It’s just gonna be another hose at the pump. Nobody is forcing you to put E15 in your tank. I don’t think any of the outboard manufacturers have even done tests because there are no requirements to use such a fuel.
What part of California do live in where gasoline is offered EO today?
Tom
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

WRB wrote:
What part of California do live in where gasoline is offered EO today?
Tom
Didn’t say anything about E0. All fuels in my area (SF Bay Area) can contain “up to” 10% ethanol. I read the stickers at the pump.
zmyers
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I put BioBor EB in my gas. I'm in California and I know that the premium at the local shell most likely is 10 % . I had all fuel lines changed out on my 2001 200 merc optimax a while back and using the additive I'm covering all the bases. It certainly cannot hurt your engine to lubricate it and keep your octane steady any time of year.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!