Common Decency Where Did It Go

mrheuby

Common Decency Where Did It Go

Post by mrheuby »

Had a crazy day trying to launch my boat Friday at Berryessa. I put my boat in the water and my son is holding it while I park the truck. As I'm walking back down there is another boat waiting to launch and as I'm passing behind, it starts to back up I let out a "hay" to let them know I'm there. I get down to my boat load the dog and my son. Then this one guy from the group comes down and starts screaming at me at first I try to ignore him but then he turns on my 14 year old son. So now I have to get in between him and my son, Yes this gown *** man wants to go after a 14 year old kid. I'm glad it did not become any more physical that me getting in his face and keeping him away from my son but come on IT'S JUST FISHING it is supposed to be fun. I have seen the common decency really fall off over the years both on and off the water. It's just sad, hopefully the rest of the new year goes better. Good luck out there and lets be nice to each other
RMANZO

Re: Common Decency Where Did It Go

Post by RMANZO »

That’s horrible.. there is no courtesy anywhere,anymore... This world has come 2 chit
“BOOK IT”
offthehookbassadventures.com
Facebook OFF THE HOOK BASS ADVENTURES
Instagram Robert Mansor
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

sorry to hear this , especially since it involved your son .
It comes down to bad parenting , somehow , we have become a Nation that doesn't parent anymore . We let our children do whatever they want when they are young without consequences ---- then they become adults and do the same thing . Today , kids are not taught respect , responsibility , discipline , hard work ethics . Then they become azzholes at the boat ramp and everywhere else .
Go watch Ben Shapiro on Youtube , he tells it like it is .
Hopefully your son learned how NOT to treat people ---EVER .
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Robb R wrote:sorry to hear this , especially since it involved your son .
It comes down to bad parenting , somehow , we have become a Nation that doesn't parent anymore . We let our children do whatever they want when they are young without consequences ---- then they become adults and do the same thing . Today , kids are not taught respect , responsibility , discipline , hard work ethics . Then they become azzholes at the boat ramp and everywhere else .
Wow. Read the post he said grown man. I frequent Capell cove launch all the time and see many “grown” men act this way. Patience is much needed for most people on the road and especially on the ramp.
zmyers
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

It caught the last train out with Common Sense!
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

What an idiot, must have been Capell. Your friends here on WB will give him a hard time if we see him, what kind of truck and boat?
Fishin fool 53

Post by Fishin fool 53 »

Not to hijack this thread,I was at berry on Thursday,set up on a point near the lower end.
A boat was trolling towards me,I’m thinking he’ll go out around,nope goes right through between me and the bank.
Never even looked my way
I decided to just put up my rods
You can’t fix stupid
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

zdbm2004 wrote:
Robb R wrote:sorry to hear this , especially since it involved your son .
Wow. Read the post he said grown man. I frequent Capell cove launch all the time and see many “grown” men act this way. Patience is much needed for most people on the road and especially on the ramp.
I wasn't referring to the original poster , I was referring to the man that got in his face and confronted him and his son .
I am sure the OP was correct in how he addressed the situation and hopefully his son learned how to handle the issue when confronted by an azzhole
mrheuby

Post by mrheuby »

I understood what you ment no need to explain and thanks for the reply. It was a very unfortunate situation but when a person threatens your family you have to take action. Once we got away from all the stupid at the dock I sat down with my son and turned it into a life lesson.
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

I had a guy yesterday cast between my trolling motor and me on my front seat! And yes it was at Berryessa. I asked the guy to think if he was fishing a little too close and his reply was F off. Jeez unbelievable.
Fryle

Post by Fryle »

I’m relatively new to hardcore fishing, I’ve been running a boat the last year and a half and something I’ve noticed, maybe true, maybe not, was there’s an influx of people getting into fishing specifically for the tournament, make something of myself, get attention reasons. Its weird but it seems like these people don’t actually just fish cause it’s fun they want to make it into something so they get this weird ego wrapped around their head that they are the next KVD, but I’ve noticed these are the majority of the people who hold 0 respect for other fishermen on the water. Like I said I’m relatively new to boating but I give a ton of respect to other fishermen. I don’t cut anybody off on a bank line. I simply go by whichever way their boat is heading don’t cut him off in that direction. You want to come in behind and fish the bank line he just did, well that’s fine in my opinion just don’t get right up on the guys backside. Some people aren’t as exerienced at the dock and so no problem if someone needs help or I gotta wait 5-10mins to launch I’m not gonna lose my mind over something so trivial.
Javelin Jim

Post by Javelin Jim »

Fryle wrote:I’m relatively new to hardcore fishing, I’ve been running a boat the last year and a half and something I’ve noticed, maybe true, maybe not, was there’s an influx of people getting into fishing specifically for the tournament, make something of myself, get attention reasons. Its weird but it seems like these people don’t actually just fish cause it’s fun they want to make it into something so they get this weird ego wrapped around their head that they are the next KVD, but I’ve noticed these are the majority of the people who hold 0 respect for other fishermen on the water. Like I said I’m relatively new to boating but I give a ton of respect to other fishermen. I don’t cut anybody off on a bank line. I simply go by whichever way their boat is heading don’t cut him off in that direction. You want to come in behind and fish the bank line he just did, well that’s fine in my opinion just don’t get right up on the guys backside. Some people aren’t as exerienced at the dock and so no problem if someone needs help or I gotta wait 5-10mins to launch I’m not gonna lose my mind over something so trivial.
Great post! Hit it right on the nose.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Wow, I cant imagine having that happen especially with my son in tow. Hell typically i ask other solo guys if they need help launching etc, even when im solo its just about respect.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Larry Hemphill

Modern media removed it

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I am older than a lot of you and well remember the family shows on TV that my generation grew up on. Ozzie and Harriet, The Danny Thomas show, etc, etc. The plots were often weak or silly, but the teaching of good values was almost always included in the subject of the show. Today - watch Modern Family or other recent sitcoms. Respect is almost nowhere - just be stupid! School teachers (I was one for 35 years) used to dress properly for their position of authority and leadership. Some still do. I was happy, however, when we didn't have to wear a tie everyday!!! Today - you can't tell some of the teachers from the students. Ask students at the end of a school year which teachers they liked the most. Always - the teachers that required the most work from them and were dressed like a teacher should dress
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

I park my boat the other side of the dock or out of the way of any potential boat launchers to avoid this issue.
th365thli

Post by th365thli »

Here's the thing I don't understand. Berryessa is a pretty sizable lake. It's a great fishing lake. How is there any need to crowd or cut off people fishing? You can't find ONE other spot?

As a fairly new boater, one of the biggest downsides of owning a boat is dealing with other boaters. I luckily haven't had to deal with some of the truly horrible people.......yet
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

th365thli wrote:Here's the thing I don't understand. Berryessa is a pretty sizable lake. It's a great fishing lake. How is there any need to crowd or cut off people fishing? You can't find ONE other spot?

As a fairly new boater, one of the biggest downsides of owning a boat is dealing with other boaters. I luckily haven't had to deal with some of the truly horrible people.......yet
Lol, you haven’t fished the Delta yet... :lol:
th365thli

Post by th365thli »

JoeLanghans wrote:
th365thli wrote:Here's the thing I don't understand. Berryessa is a pretty sizable lake. It's a great fishing lake. How is there any need to crowd or cut off people fishing? You can't find ONE other spot?

Haha there's some truth to your statement. I don't favor the Delta because during spring I feel like I'm competing against other fishermen instead of just fishing and trying to catch fish. If I want to "fun fish" I want to be able to not worry about a crowd.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

I fish Shasta twice a week unless the weather really sucks. In the last 20 years I have been really pissed twice. Once two kayaks went between me and the shore as if I was not there. :x I told them thank you and left.

The second time I was launching alone and there was another boat launching and the guy said "hey old timer, let me help you". I am an old guy, my back is a little messed up, no rotator cuff on either shoulder, and may limp a little, but OLD TIMER? Really? :x

Jim
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Jboutfishn wrote:I fish Shasta twice a week unless the weather really sucks. In the last 20 years I have been really pissed twice. Once two kayaks went between me and the shore as if I was not there. :x I told them thank you and left.

The second time I was launching alone and there was another boat launching and the guy said "hey old timer, let me help you". I am an old guy, my back is a little messed up, no rotator cuff on either shoulder, and may limp a little, but OLD TIMER? Really? :x

Jim
When they start calling you young man you'll know you're old. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

th365thli wrote:
JoeLanghans wrote:

Haha there's some truth to your statement. I don't favor the Delta because during spring I feel like I'm competing against other fishermen instead of just fishing and trying to catch fish. If I want to "fun fish" I want to be able to not worry about a crowd.
The Delta has over 1000 miles of waterways. If you’re competing against other fisherman on the delta, you’re not fishing the full potential of the delta and not moving around enough. I understand how you feel though, especially in Franks, Mildred and Mandeville.
th365thli

Post by th365thli »

JoeLanghans wrote:
th365thli wrote:
JoeLanghans wrote:
The Delta has over 1000 miles of waterways. If you’re competing against other fisherman on the delta, you’re not fishing the full potential of the delta and not moving around enough. I understand how you feel though, especially in Franks, Mildred and Mandeville.
Very true, I guess I prefer fishing lakes I guess. Rather burn gas driving to a lake than burn gas running around on the Delta. I mainly fish those places you described and all the way down to Lazy M, which is already a huge area. Frank's is especially crowded but south is a little better.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Whenever you fish a community hole, expect to have company. Berryessa is vast however there are also key areas that serve as funnels for transition fish and can fish VERY SMALL and very crowded at certain points during the year. Boat pressure and how guys approach this interaction can make it or break it for everyone fishing that community hole. The same is true of Clear Lake during the Hitch run.

The Delta well again if ya fish community spots expect lots of pressure, you have to really branch out and get a bit weird out there from time to time. Lots of boat and fishing pressure getting condensed into smaller areas.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
drew

Post by drew »

Yelling at your young son sounds bad. What was this individuals complaint?

mrheuby wrote:Had a crazy day trying to launch my boat Friday at Berryessa. I put my boat in the water and my son is holding it while I park the truck. As I'm walking back down there is another boat waiting to launch and as I'm passing behind, it starts to back up I let out a "hay" to let them know I'm there. I get down to my boat load the dog and my son. Then this one guy from the group comes down and starts screaming at me at first I try to ignore him but then he turns on my 14 year old son. So now I have to get in between him and my son, Yes this gown *** man wants to go after a 14 year old kid. I'm glad it did not become any more physical that me getting in his face and keeping him away from my son but come on IT'S JUST FISHING it is supposed to be fun. I have seen the common decency really fall off over the years both on and off the water. It's just sad, hopefully the rest of the new year goes better. Good luck out there and lets be nice to each other
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

[quote="drew"]Yelling at your young son sounds bad. What was this individuals complaint?"

Clearly he was upset about being delayed in launching his boat, but that is no excuse to go after someone else, or his kid.
These are public ramps, and everyone has a right to use them, even if they have to have their kid hold the boat while they park the truck. I've done the same thing, and it's all just a part of going fishing with kids.
Maybe that guy should buy his own lake, so he can launch whenever and however he likes.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

I'm not condoning yelling at someones kids for their actions.

Could have been a case of unnecessarily held up at the ramp? I see it all the time at my local ramps people drop their boat in and do not move it to the end or outside of the dock. A little courtesy can prevent many of these issues.

Not saying two wrongs make a right and I have no idea if the OP made any mistake. Just a question as to why he was upset.

mark poulson wrote:
drew wrote:Yelling at your young son sounds bad. What was this individuals complaint?"

Clearly he was upset about being delayed in launching his boat, but that is no excuse to go after someone else, or his kid.
These are public ramps, and everyone has a right to use them, even if they have to have their kid hold the boat while they park the truck. I've done the same thing, and it's all just a part of going fishing with kids.
Maybe that guy should buy his own lake, so he can launch whenever and however he likes.
mrheuby

Post by mrheuby »

Let me clarify what bought up the issue. It was at Markly Cove which is capable of launching 3 boats at a time if you need to. No other boats were there at the time other than the two boats. What the issue was that when I got to the boat my son said dad that guy almost ran you over. At that point I said lets go it's time to go fishing. The this guy comes down accusing my son of talking crap about him. He then pointed at him and walked toward him screaming at him, mind you this is a 14 year old. So your damm right I'm going to get after him and protect my son
drew

Post by drew »

That sounds like a sick person. I have had a few encounters with people like that and it used to leave me scratching my head, but now I know its just mental illness.
mrheuby wrote:Let me clarify what bought up the issue. It was at Markly Cove which is capable of launching 3 boats at a time if you need to. No other boats were there at the time other than the two boats. What the issue was that when I got to the boat my son said dad that guy almost ran you over. At that point I said lets go it's time to go fishing. The this guy comes down accusing my son of talking crap about him. He then pointed at him and walked toward him screaming at him, mind you this is a 14 year old. So your damm right I'm going to get after him and protect my son
serina_mikaelson

Post by serina_mikaelson »

A fishey man got a ticket at new melones for expired tags as he was cussing at himself walking back down to the ramp for the ticket another boater said something to the affect no one wants to hear that well long story short the guy who made the comment went strait to sleep at the ramp got knocked out as i stood their taking in every thing i couldn't help but think people really need to mind their own business.
Last edited by serina_mikaelson on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

If that's your "good buddy" You might want to find a different one!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mike:

Somehow I think theres more to this story. Hard to tell exactly what the problem was based on your description. Not saying you did this, but at no point should any boat prevent another boat from launching, theres always something you can do with your launched boat to get it out of the way of others launching. Ive always felt that it is extremely disrespectful and inconsiderate of boaters to do this, its as if they think our free time means nothing. I know you have been around for a long time and know proper etiquette inside out and backwards, so who knows what triggered the issue. I will also say that at no time should somebody approach a child in anger, or even show anger towards another boater when children are present. Im not very shy, but when other boaters have children present I just bite my tongue and deal with it.