New Vexus Boats

Wiplash

New Vexus Boats

Post by Wiplash »

Is anyone running the new Vexus? Got to see the new Vexus at the ISE in Sacramento. The 1980 and the 2080 is a nice hull. Thank you Ken Mah for giving me all the details on the boat.
WB Staff

Re: New Vexus Boats

Post by WB Staff »

Some of the Vexus Boats Available at C&C on Display at the ISE Show... Incase you didn't make it.
Attachments
IMG_6603.JPG
IMG_6604.JPG
IMG_6605.JPG
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

IMG_6602.JPG
IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

IMG_6597.JPG
IMG_6596.JPG
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I talked to someone (Ken Mah I think) who had a Vexus on Shasta last weekend. Sweet looking boats.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Good looking aluminum boats, very well laid out ..... when are they going to introduce glass boats ?
Out of curiosity, I priced the 2080 on their site. 20'-2 boat (200 ProXS V8 4s) with Ultrex + PP + Lowrance is over $51k
Popper

Post by Popper »

Very nice boats displayed at the Vexus booth. Awesome finish, and appears to be a well built hull.
However, IMHO
For the price, I go with used fiberglass bass boat in good condition.

Ed
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Popper wrote:Very nice boats displayed at the Vexus booth. Awesome finish, and appears to be a well built hull.
However, IMHO

Ed
Why?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
gang cop

Post by gang cop »

I have the Vexus 1980 and I can assure you this is no ordinary aluminum boat. I had the G3 HP200 before this boat and the difference is night and day. The ride in rough water is as good as a glass boat at half the price and you can build the boat with any option you like. If you are in the market I would definitely give Vexus a look. And I get nothing from Vexus for this post.
Popper

Post by Popper »

mark poulson wrote:
Popper wrote:Very nice boats displayed at the Vexus booth. Awesome finish, and appears to be a well built hull.
However, IMHO

Ed
Why?
My opnion is based on materials and experience with aluminum over fiberglass. I've not rode on a Vexus,
but I am sure the Engineers design and constucted a damn good riding hull.
Vexus aluminum boats appears to look superior to any aluminum boat I've seen in the market. Compare to brands/price, It would be my 1st choice if I was in the market for an aluminum hull.

With that said, it's still constructed out of aluminum and subject to the same issues (welds, rivets, dents) as in any metal hull.
This is based on owning (3) aluminum and (3) fiberglass hulls which is why I always prefer a glass boat.

Aluminum is subject to dents as Fiberglass can crack or be gouge. FiberGlass can be re-glass/and gel coated. Not sure what the maintenance repairs would be for aluminum along with that beautiful finish on the Vexus boat.

It's hard enough locating a good fiberglass/Gel coat repair shop yet alone a finish aluminum boat/paint shop.
All boats are subject to battle scars and wear as in any materials.
I am one that keeps my boats in prestine condition over the lifetime of the boat. So any damage would be immediately repair.

Ed
Last edited by Popper on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
WRB

Post by WRB »

The Xpress Pro is a similar aluminum bass boat with a plane pad, fast dry running hull that's .10 thick and solid. These aren't your Typical bass tin boats, 50K they shouldn't be!
good looking well engineered boats the Ranger and other boat folks who put this company together.
Tom
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Never been in the new Vexus , but they look solid .
I have owned a " tin" can for 16 years . The biggest disadvantage is dealing with wind . Very difficult to keep it still when fishing finesse baits . But , with that said , an Aluminum boat also has it's advantages , lighter to tow , easy to maintain , lower horse power moves them quick .
There is a company in Lousiana , called Gator Trax . They make an aluminum bass boat with a really thick hull . They can customize the layout , HP , trailer etc..... These boats are popular in lakes with lots of tree's and stumps . Basically the bottom of the boat in super tough .
If an aluminum boat company could build a boat that looks like the Vexus , with a .25 thick hull and all the goodies and keep it under $50K --- it would last 20 + years and easily cost less to maintain than a glass boat .
I am certain the tooling to build .25 thick hulls in mass production is difficult , but the company that figures it out will take market share from the glass folks .
kmah

Post by kmah »

Hello all, I am going to try to answer as many of the questions as I can in this thread.

1) I am running a AXV2080 W/Mercury 200 ProXS 4-Stroke, dual powerpoles, and HDS 12 Lives.

2) Vexus is going to release Glass models on day 1 of the Bass Masters Classic in Knoxville TN on March 15 (51 days).

3) there are no rivets used in the construction of a Vexus glass-infused aluminum boat.

4) If anyone would like to ride in this boat, please let me know. I’m currently at lake Shasta and will accommodate you. I am planning on being on the Delta Sunday if I don’t end up making the cut here.

It’s exciting to hear everyone’s views and opinions. These men and women have been building boats, taking care of customers, and revolutionizing the boat building industry for the past 50 years.

Respectfully
K. Mah
jg

Post by jg »

Ken, what speeds are you seeing with a full tournament load?
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Hi Ken ,
Regarding your comment " glass-infused " , can you provide more detail --IE , process steps , why it's used , inner hull /outer hull ? Both ? I assume it's add's some weight ? How much extra weight compared to a similar sized competitors aluminum ? Added weight = more stability and less " wind control " issues ?
Does the glass infused help the boat handle better than regular aluminum and closer to a glass boat ?
Sorry for all the questions --- your comment was intriguing and seems to answer some of the downfalls to aluminum.
Robb
WRB

Post by WRB »

Molded console, storage compartments and livewel parts, welded aluminum hull, the only fushion is confusion.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Molded console, storage compartments and livewel parts, welded aluminum hull, the only fushion is confusion.
Tom
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
Wiplash

Post by Wiplash »

gang cop wrote:I have the Vexus 1980 and I can assure you this is no ordinary aluminum boat. I had the G3 HP200 before this boat and the difference is night and day. The ride in rough water is as good as a glass boat at half the price and you can build the boat with any option you like. If you are in the market I would definitely give Vexus a look. And I get nothing from Vexus for this post.
What kind of motor are you running? What kind of speed do you get out of you boat with the 1980? I am trying to see and compare the difference. i am not much of a Tournament fisherman. I just need to be able to get somewhere, get on plain through the shallows and be able to get on pad in the rough water. I fish the delta a lot.
gang cop

Post by gang cop »

I’m running the Evinrude 150 Etec HO and reach speeds between 52-54 depending on weight...Handles rough water great, very stable, and would be an absolute great boat at the Delta..or any other body of water for that matter..
gang cop

Post by gang cop »

C163729F-F76C-41D8-8989-B6F0DFB734E6.jpeg
kmah

Post by kmah »

jg wrote:Ken, what speeds are you seeing with a full tournament load?
At the Wildwest lake Shasta event 1100 ft elevation, full tank, dual poles, full live wells, 2 persons, and their gear. Right at 60-60.5.

I’m notorious for running a heavy load, I have a back up for pretty much anything that can happen on the water.

This is what it will do everyday I assume that at sea level it will do 62-63MPH. If you lighten the load, half a tank etc. it could do 65-66 I figure.
kmah

Post by kmah »

Robb R wrote:Hi Ken ,
Regarding your comment " glass-infused " , can you provide more detail --IE , process steps , why it's used , inner hull /outer hull ? Both ? I assume it's add's some weight ? How much extra weight compared to a similar sized competitors aluminum ? Added weight = more stability and less " wind control " issues ?
Does the glass infused help the boat handle better than regular aluminum and closer to a glass boat ?
Sorry for all the questions --- your comment was intriguing and seems to answer some of the downfalls to aluminum.
Robb
Please ask away it’s better to get your questions answered if your going to spend any amount of money on any boat.

There are many glass features in the new Vexus boats. This is not to be misconstrued as there is any fiberglass in the hull material. It is completely welded aluminum.

The Livewells, rear storage compartments, fully insulated ice chest, consoles, and the recessed foot pedal and front graph mount are all molded from glass.

I’ll start with the rear area of the boat, the reason glass is better in these areas instead of the industry standard “molded drop in compartments”
1) they are noticeably larger compartments
2) compartments can be molded to custom specifications
3) an aggressive gutter system to steer water away from entering these compartments
4) heat reduction for glass livewells.
5) the pay hold their shape allowing Vexus to inject foam flotation in to and around these cavities.

Next is the consoles, fairly self-explanatory here.
Ice chest is fully insulated and holds ice throughout the day.
Recessed foot pedal and front graph mount. Glass allows for a more aesthetically, precise, and integrated area.

Added weight- yes
How much weight? I don’t know the exact difference between the two materials
Yes by adding flotation foam=additional weight and the advantages are noticeable.
1) the hull is very quiet
2) there is no “hollow” sound as you are driving across the lake
3) it dampens the echoing from walking around the the boat.

If your in Nor-cal and want to drive it, let me know and we will make that happen. This will answer nearly all of your questions. I’ll say this, if I blindfolded you and we went for a ride, you wouldn’t be able to tell it’s not glass.
kmah

Post by kmah »

MichaelB wrote:Good looking aluminum boats, very well laid out ..... when are they going to introduce glass boats ?
Out of curiosity, I priced the 2080 on their site. 20'-2 boat (200 ProXS V8 4s) with Ultrex + PP + Lowrance is over $51k
Glass models will be unveiled on day 1 of the Bassmaster Classic. Roughly 47 days away but who is counting.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

I’d go with a Ranger 198. Proven brand you can service almost everywhere, holds its value, and may actually be less expensive.
jg

Post by jg »

kmah wrote:
jg wrote:Ken, what speeds are you seeing with a full tournament load?
At the Wildwest lake Shasta event 1100 ft elevation, full tank, dual poles, full live wells, 2 persons, and their gear. Right at 60-60.5.

I’m notorious for running a heavy load, I have a back up for pretty much anything that can happen on the water.

This is what it will do everyday I assume that at sea level it will do 62-63MPH. If you lighten the load, half a tank etc. it could do 65-66 I figure.
Thank You.
Wiplash

Post by Wiplash »

JoeLanghans wrote:I’d go with a Ranger 198. Proven brand you can service almost everywhere, holds its value, and may actually be less expensive.
I don't think your gonna get the performance in that boat or the speed as you would on the 1980 Vexus.
Last edited by Wiplash on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kmah wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Good looking aluminum boats, very well laid out ..... when are they going to introduce glass boats ?
Glass models will be unveiled on day 1 of the Bassmaster Classic. Roughly 47 days away but who is counting.
Ken,
What makes the Vexus hull design different from other aluminum boats?
CLEAN AND DRY
kmah

Post by kmah »

Easy answer here. The Vexus hull have a true pad running surface. Vexus has designed a process to bend the aluminum used at the bottom of the hull to create that pad.

What may not be noticeable at first is the Vexus has “stretched-formed gunnels” which allows them to stretch the hull and gunnels all the way to the front tip of the boat creating a “V” as the pad turns into the front of the boat.

Many aluminum boats use a “mod V” type hull which is essentially put together and then welded in the front in 3 places/segments. Some of the advantages to the stretched formed tunnels allows for my “headspace” towards the front of the boat. This allows installation of larger graphs to be flush mounted, trolling motors to be mounted similar to fiberglass models and you end up netting more storage space in the front of the Vexus due to these design elements. Just open the front compartments and compare.

Ken
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Wiplash wrote:
JoeLanghans wrote:I’d go with a Ranger 198. Proven brand you can service almost everywhere, holds its value, and may actually be less expensive.
I don't think your gonna get the performance in that boat or the speed as you would on the 1980 Vexus.
Same length and motor size, why would it be different?? It’s an aluminum boat, the performance will probably be the same. This space is too crowded, Vexus needs to lower their prices to stay above water.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Bass pro Shops tried to build a " stretched form " aluminum hull back in the late 90's or early 2000's . It was called the Tundra model . They had problems with cracking in the hull ( at seams ) after a few years of use and ended up discontinuing that model . They never presented the " advantages " of a stretched form hull .
As I stated earlier , if some company can figure out how to make an aluminum hull that is .25 thick , with all the bells and whistles of a top end glass boat ( fishability , performance , ride etc..) -- they would take large amounts of market share .
As a material , Aluminum outlast fiberglass , it's just harder to work with and cost more from a tooling and labor perspective ( IMO ) .
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kmah wrote:Easy answer here. The Vexus hull have a true pad running surface. Vexus has designed a process to bend the aluminum used at the bottom of the hull to create that pad.

What may not be noticeable at first is the Vexus has “stretched-formed gunnels” which allows them to stretch the hull and gunnels all the way to the front tip of the boat creating a “V” as the pad turns into the front of the boat.

Many aluminum boats use a “mod V” type hull which is essentially put together and then welded in the front in 3 places/segments. Some of the advantages to the stretched formed tunnels allows for my “headspace” towards the front of the boat. This allows installation of larger graphs to be flush mounted, trolling motors to be mounted similar to fiberglass models and you end up netting more storage space in the front of the Vexus due to these design elements. Just open the front compartments and compare.

Ken
Thanks Ken.
CLEAN AND DRY
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Robb R wrote: As I stated earlier , if some company can figure out how to make an aluminum hull that is .25 thick , with all the bells and whistles of a top end glass boat ( fishability , performance , ride etc..) -- they would take large amounts of market share .
An aluminum boat with a 1/4" thick hull ? You would need a Saturn Rocket to get it up on plane !
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I think vexus boats well do just fine here in ca both with there aluminum hull and fiberglass hull boats i hope they build a 21" ft aluminum that will support a 225 or 250 hp motor. The have alot of storage from what ive seen of them in person if was in the market for another boat vexus aluminum would be it. Again it not how fast your boat is but its how many fish you bring to the scale that counts.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

MichaelB wrote:
Robb R wrote: As I stated earlier , if some company can figure out how to make an aluminum hull that is .25 thick , with all the bells and whistles of a top end glass boat ( fishability , performance , ride etc..) -- they would take large amounts of market share .
An aluminum boat with a 1/4" thick hull ? You would need a Saturn Rocket to get it up on plane !
GatorTrax has a .190 thick hull and they seem to be quick and fast ( as reported on Texas Fishing Forum , Strike Series model ) .
With the thicker hull , it's likely they will outlast thinner aluminum hulls and glass boats.