Drop shot questions

nate50

Drop shot questions

Post by nate50 »

I have question about drop shot weights. Which style weight (tear drop, cylinder, etc.) do you use for the different bottoms (rock, sand/mud, grass). Thanks for the help
WB Staff

Re: Drop shot questions

Post by WB Staff »

@Nate

I am sure some guys will chime in on this one with their own preference, but just wanted to give you a link to this, because we just did this article with Aaron Martens on the dropshot. On the last page, at the last section... he goes over his weight shape preferences for the conditions.

The article starts on page 34; but the weight info is on page 36 so that is the link below, if you're interested.

https://storage.westernbass.com/mag_wb/ ... index.html
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

For me, cylinder or tear drop are the best for avoiding weight snags. I wouldn’t waste your money on tungsten as well.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

If you want too cover two ways to improve your catch use a bass jig and 4" twin tail grub trailer as your drop shot weight i like to use a finesse jig Arkie head or ( Erie ) Standup head jigs. It does work well.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

Im not a huge drop shot guy but out here I only cylindrical weights and i typically use lead.
I only use tungsten when I head up to the lakes, its a night and day difference when feeling the bottom.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I use the lead cylinders for 90% of my drop shot fishing. Typically run 1/8th oz and then just trim lead off if i want less.

I will go to tungsten if it is a big $$ event and the I feel the fish are keyed on the transitions to feel the subtle changes between pea gravel and clay or pea gravel and chunk rock etc... but this is my exception not the rule.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Nate - PM sent
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Marc

Post by Marc »

QuickDrops dropshot weights are the best balanced teardrop weights, with the best swiveled line clip on the market. And they come in 8 sizes. All you need...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/West_Co ... -WCQD.html
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Cylinder for me..
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
th365thli

Post by th365thli »

A lot of people recommend using the lightest weight you can with a dropshot but can someone explain why? I actually like using heavier weights. 3/8 ounce and even 1/2 ounce for really deep water. Better in the wind, sinks faster, feel the bottom better. Much better for fishing deeper water. Am I crazy or do other people feel the same? To me because of the afore mentioned reasons it puts more fish in the boat, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.
JL

Post by JL »

I fully concur!
Marc

Post by Marc »

I sell more 1/4 ounce QuickDrops than any other size by far. 3/16 oz. Is the next most popular size.

That being said, I have personally won far more money in tournaments using 3/8 ounce, and the 1/16 oz sizes.

People tend to stick with something that worked, and fail to try other sizes. They are missing opportunities. There are times and places for 3/4 and 1 ounce QuickDrops. You just have to be willing to try something you have not done.

So to your question, people use the lightest they can because that is what they have been told, and it worked. Just realize you are then doing exactly what everyone else is doing, and competing for the same fish.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
WRB

Post by WRB »

To me drop shot is a vertical soft plastic finesse worm presentation for numbers of bass under 3 lbs. Wind and depth to be able to feel the bottom without being snagged is the only consideration and weight shape that prevents snagging a primary concern, usually a round weight.
I use black brass 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 weights finesse spinning tackle for drop shot presentations after I am convinced there isn't another presentation that works better.
Tom
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

WRB wrote:To me drop shot is a vertical soft plastic finesse worm presentation for numbers of bass under 3 lbs. Wind and depth to be able to feel the bottom without being snagged is the only consideration and weight shape that prevents snagging a primary concern, usually a round weight.
I use black brass 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 weights finesse spinning tackle for drop shot presentations after I am convinced there isn't another presentation that works better.
Tom
The Lake Berryessa largemouth record was caught on a dropshot. 17+
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

WRB wrote:To me drop shot is a vertical soft plastic finesse worm presentation for numbers of bass under 3 lbs. Wind and depth to be able to feel the bottom without being snagged is the only consideration and weight shape that prevents snagging a primary concern, usually a round weight.
Tom
Fish under 3 lbs???? :lol:
I’ve caught hundreds of fish over 5 pounds on a drop shot including two 8 pounders back to back one day last summer at Berryessa. Two 6 pounders a couple weeks ago on the Delta... drop shot.
kam

Post by kam »

Use the lightest split shot you can get away with based on depth and wind conditions. Check out the tacticalbassin vids on YouTube with Ross England. The master of droppshotting!
Attachments
1E153E1A-0BBE-4520-8095-076D1ACCDE5A.jpeg
Marc

Post by Marc »

I have caught many big bass dropshotting; including a 9 pounder during a tournament dropshotting a wacky rig 6" Senko with a 3/4 oz QuickDrop. Big lures equal big bass; dropshotting to me is a presentation, your lure is limited to your imagination.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
WRB

Post by WRB »

For me drop shot is a finesse presentation using light line with spinning tackle it's not a presentation I consider to use for big bass. This doesn't mean big bass can't be caught using drop shot, they are often caught off beds using a drop shot rig. I caught a 13.2 lb LMB at Casitas several years ago using 6 lb FC line on spinning tackle, pure luck and some skill, but wasn't the right tackle to control a big bass.
We all have different opinions, me I rather catch big bass using tackle to effectively put them in the boat. I have managed to catch a lot giant bass on both small 3" jigs and big 8" swimbaits, none of my top 5 on a drop shot or a swimbait.
Peace,
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

I use the cylinders almost always and I prefer 3/16 oz unless its windy and cant get to the bottom then move to 1/4 and I so keep 1/2's in the boat.

So Cal is line shy and finesse waters.

good luck.

Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

I'll still use a split shot and crimp it tight enough to hold on but loose enough to slide through.