Rod and Reel Setup for a 8oz Swimbait...???

ITO_ZILLION

Rod and Reel Setup for a 8oz Swimbait...???

Post by ITO_ZILLION »

1. Anyone know of a rod that can handle a 8oz swimbait 'comfortably'...?

I have been browsing Tacklewarehouse and the only rods that jump out at me as probably being able to handle a 8oz swimbait 'comfortably' is the...

A. Dobyns Champion 807/867
B. Okuma Guide Select A XXH
C. Okuma SBX XXH
D. Daiwa DX Swimbait XXH
E. Savage Gear Browser XXH

Anyone have experience with any of these rods...?

2. Would I need to go to a 'musky' or saltwater type rod in order to throw a 8oz swimbait...?

I have been looking at some musky rods too like the Shimano Compre Musky, Okuma EVX Musky, St Croix Mojo Musky and Cabelas Predator Musky and they seem to have line and lure ratings (60-100 lbs, 6-12oz) that can probably handle a 8oz swimbait no problem. I am also looking at some saltwater rods rated 60-80 lbs like the Phenix Axis and Phenix Black Diamond Hybrids.

3. Should I go with a custom swimbait rod instead like a MOAM's or Low Down Customs...? Anyone know if the Low Down Customs XH can handle a 8oz swimbait...?

4. Is a Shimano Tranx 400 sufficient enough in throwing a 8oz swimbait...?

I don't like round reels like the Calcuttas. I have small-ish hands and therefore prefer the low profile baitcasters in 300-400 sizes like the Shimano Tranx, Daiwa Lexa and Okuma Komodo.

5. Is 50 lb braid 'ok' for a Shimano Tranx 400 throwing a 8oz swimbait...?

I like 50 vs 65/80 lb braid since it allows more line capacity. But since 50 is a little thin...I suspect it might 'dig in' too much and could cause a backlash. I may have to go up to a thicker 65 lb braid since I am expecting to throw a pretty heavy 8oz swimbait...yes...?
Delta_fisher

Re: Rod and Reel Setup for a 8oz Swimbait...???

Post by Delta_fisher »

Okuma guide select xxh
Power pro max cuattro 80lb
Calcutta 200 or 300

All you need. Don't over think it.
Delta_fisher

Post by Delta_fisher »

I can palm my 200 series calcutta just as well as my 300 series tranx. You don't need a 400 series reel. You'll never ever ever need that much line. Especially if you have smaller hands.

I fish for big stripers and have never spooled a 200 series reel filled with braid.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

My advice for an 8oz swimbait is indeed a 400 size reel. Its not about line capacity its about
being able to withstand the stresses an 8oz swimbait puts on a reel. Frames, gears, anti-reverses etc etc etc. Remember, everything starts and stops at the reel! Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
ITO_ZILLION

Post by ITO_ZILLION »

Im thinking about getting a 3:16 Armageddon and I believe its pretty close to 8oz. I am hoping that the rod and reel combo I end up choosing can cast and retrieve a 3:16 Armageddon no problem.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We sell a lot of 807 and 867 rods. It's become a shipping issue with our 867 and 908 rods. So many dealers won't stock these. We can still help if needed. THX!!!!
Morph808

Post by Morph808 »

I fish a Dobyns 867 with a Calcutta 300 TE. A Deps 250ss (around 6oz) is probably the heaviest bait I would throw on that rod comfortably on 20lb fluorocarbon. For 8oz baits and larger, the 908 would be your safer bet for a production Dobyns rod. Otherwise, get yourself an XXH LDC, MOAM, F5, or Leviathan Rod. As far as reel goes, 300 size reel in the very least but 400 would be ideal especially since I would imagine you will be throwing it on 25lb or larger mono/copoly/fluoro or 80lb and larger braid. Sure you will not likely get to the arbor of a 200 sized reel spooled to the top. However, larger reels will hold sufficient line without affecting the cadence of the bait when you retrieve it and, as Dan mentioned, it can handle the abuse of endless casts with lures that big.
ITO_ZILLION

Post by ITO_ZILLION »

Morph808 wrote:...Otherwise, get yourself an XXH LDC, MOAM, F5, or Leviathan Rod...
The Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan rod is rated 2-8oz 20-40lb. I have never fished a Megabass Orochi Leviathan rod but do you think it can actually handle a 8oz bait...?

8oz is rated as its maximum and from my little experience in bass fishing and swimbait fishing in general...I know that the 'sweet spot' for most bass rods usually falls somewhere in the 'middle' of the manufacturers 'suggested/claimed' lure weight range.

Are you claiming that the Megabass Orochi Leviathan is rated 'true' and therefore can comfortably cast a 8oz bait no problem...?
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I have owned and/or used dozens of swimbait sticks so I can tell you without reservation that the rod you are looking for is the Dobyns 908...paired with a Shimano Calcutta 401 TE or the Calcutta 401 D I throw baits up to 11 ounces "comfortably".
Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss specific baits and details that I might be able to help you with.
Tree
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Can't speak to the rod, I own a Cousins 7119 (discontinued), but I do not recommend buying the Calcutta for a 8+ oz bait. I wore one out and switched to the Toro Rocket by Abu Garcia. I have no complaints after over a year of Deps 250's and 10" Huddlestons.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
GreenPig

Post by GreenPig »

Revo Toro Beast 60 and the Daiwa Dx xxh should handle your 8 oz bait easily. I own one power of each of the Daiwa Swimbait rods and weight/durability/power is very good for $110. The 50 lb braid is a very bad idea. It's so thin it digs into the spool and you will snap off heavy baits. I spool with 20-30 P-line CXX copolymer. I would definitely throw 8oz on 30 lb CXX. 65 and 80 lb braid is thick enough it doesn't dig in as bad. Heart breaking watching an expensive/favorite swimbait sailing away for the last time. Trust me I've donated a couple to the lake before finding the optimum setup.
Donbrazos

Post by Donbrazos »

I have a 13 Fishing Rod Defy extra heavy and throws 8oz baits . Also a Garcia Ambassador Reel 5.1.1 ratio . It was all under $150
Morph808

Post by Morph808 »

ITO_ZILLION wrote:
Morph808 wrote:...Otherwise, get yourself an XXH LDC, MOAM, F5, or Leviathan Rod...
The Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan rod is rated 2-8oz 20-40lb. I have never fished a Megabass Orochi Leviathan rod but do you think it can actually handle a 8oz bait...?

8oz is rated as its maximum and from my little experience in bass fishing and swimbait fishing in general...I know that the 'sweet spot' for most bass rods usually falls somewhere in the 'middle' of the manufacturers 'suggested/claimed' lure weight range.

Are you claiming that the Megabass Orochi Leviathan is rated 'true' and therefore can comfortably cast a 8oz bait no problem...?
Not Megabass Leviathan, but a Texas company called Leviathan Rods. They make custom sticks from North Fork Composite Blanks, but they also have their own Swimbait rod production line.
tbass858

Post by tbass858 »

300 size reel, no braid and dont waste your money on a custom built rod. They are all just chopped phenix blanks with pretty wrapping
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doddhWpoI54
Check out Matt In case you don't know what wahoo blank the guys are talking about. He talks reels and line also.
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

DOBYNS 908
Jace D

Post by Jace D »

DanIsaac wrote:My advice for an 8oz swimbait is indeed a 400 size reel. Its not about line capacity its about
being able to withstand the stresses an 8oz swimbait puts on a reel. Frames, gears, anti-reverses etc etc etc. Remember, everything starts and stops at the reel! Dan
This.
I’ve been a little disappointed with the Calcutta 400b reels I’ve had but the Daiwa Luna 300 (it’s 400 size reel) is bulletproof and cheaper than an equivalent shimano of the same size.
And straight braid is not what I would recommend unless you’re fishing super dirty water. Braid to fluoro or braid to mono would be better or better yet just straight fluoro. It’s preference though. 807 will have a hard time with an 8 oz bait. 867 might work but the 908 will probably be more suited. The Okuma guide select xxh or the DX xxh and any of the custom builds will do the trick.
JohnMarino

Post by JohnMarino »

iRod XH Swimbait rod or the iRod Bailey Mag Swim will do the job! Great rods.
[url]http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/JohnMarino[/url]