Govenor Newsom Rejects Current Calif WaterFix | WE WON Twin Tunnels End

MichaelB

Govenor Newsom Rejects Current Calif WaterFix | WE WON Twin Tunnels End

Post by MichaelB »

For Immediate Release: 2/12/19

Contact: Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, Restore the Delta, barbara@restorethedelta.org

Governor Newsom Ends Twin Tunnels, Restore the Delta Responds

Stockton, CA – At the State Capitol in Sacramento, Governor Gavin Newsom gave his first State of the State Address today. In a highly-anticipated decision, Governor Newsom pulled the plug on the decade-long proposal known as the California Water Fix (Twin Tunnels.)

On water issues, Governor Newsom said: “There are no easy answers. But let me be as clear as I can be. I do not support, the WaterFix as currently configured, meaning I don’t support the Twin Tunnels.”

Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, executive director of Restore the Delta responds:

“We are grateful to Governor Newsom for listening to the people of the Delta, and California, and putting an end to the boondoggle WaterFix, twin tunnels project.

"We look forward to working with his administration and the State Water Resources Control Board to create and enforce policies that will restore Delta water quality and quantity, lessen water dependence on the Delta, and promote clean drinking programs and regional self-sufficiency for the benefit of all Californians.

"As we testified under oath at the State Water Resources Control Board, we will re-evaluate any proposed new conveyance projects for their merits and weaknesses and share our findings with Californians.”
monte300

Re: Govenor Newsom Rejects Current Calif WaterFix

Post by monte300 »

Music to my ears!
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

:D :D :D
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Yes !!!! This is great news ..... but I don't want to throw shade on my own post:
It does say he rejects the project, Twin Tunnels, as "currently configured".....

You can bet the multitude of sleazebags who support the project will be looking to submit a "revised configuration"
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

we won twin tunnels end.jpg
At the State Capitol in Sacramento, Governor Gavin Newsom gave his first State of the State Address today. In a highly-anticipated decision, Governor Newsom pulled the plug on the decade-long proposal known as the California Water Fix (Twin Tunnels.)

On water issues, Governor Newsom said: “There are no easy answers. But let me be as clear as I can be. I do not support, the WaterFix as currently configured, meaning I don’t support the Twin Tunnels.”

Barbara Barrigan-Parrilla, executive director of Restore the Delta responds:

“We are grateful to Governor Newsom for listening to the people of the Delta, and California, and putting an end to the boondoggle WaterFix, twin tunnels project.

"We look forward to working with his administration and the State Water Resources Control Board to create and enforce policies that will restore Delta water quality and quantity, lessen water dependence on the Delta, and promote clean drinking programs and regional self-sufficiency for the benefit of all Californians.

"As we testified under oath at the State Water Resources Control Board, we will re-evaluate any proposed new conveyance projects for their merits and weaknesses and share our findings with Californians.”

Read on our site: http://bit.ly/2X0XNHd
WB Staff

Re: Govenor Newsom Rejects Current Calif WaterFix | WE WON Twin Tunnels End

Post by WB Staff »

More info... California Gov. Gavin Newsom says he wants to downsize the Delta water project and build one tunnel instead of two.

More info and video from Newsom: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/calif ... 44155.html
Attachments
gavin newson twin tunnels.png
monte300

Post by monte300 »

We don’t even want one tunnel
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

What does it mean we won and they are moving forward on a tunnel and the infrastructure. This is Symantec’s I think we should be very cautious of this administration
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

We were kind of confused... we say the WE WON post and we saw the other post both. So we put them both up for the readers to decide.
DDG

Post by DDG »

ash wrote:What does it mean we won and they are moving forward on a tunnel and the infrastructure. This is Symantec’s I think we should be very cautious of this administration
He dropped the Water fix and the high speed rail, but now where is this money spent already going :?:
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

Dont hold your breath. He will build one tunnel or come up with another way to ruin the delta.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You gotta wonder who is going to make money off of this?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

I think "We Won - Twin Tunnels End" is a shallow victory.
The construction of one "smaller" tunnel is going to have the same catastrophic impact on the Delta during construction. The reduced water flow from the Sacramento River for a single tunnel is still a problem.
The good news is the design phase has got to start over. New "environmental impact" reports have to be developed and supposedly approved. New building permits have to be approved. New studies to determine the cost feasibility of construction+return vs the still colossal cost of building one tunnel have to be vetted out. All of these tasks will provide opponents of any tunnels new opportunities to defeat the new scheme ..... in the same fashion they defeated the Twin Tunnels/Waterfix plan. This buys us several more years of delay before anything happens..... which is good. What is not good is sleazy utilities like MWD are still around and even sleazier billionaires like the Resnicks are still around to push for a downsized single tunnel plan.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

MichaelB wrote:I think "We Won - Twin Tunnels End" is a shallow victory.
The construction of one "smaller" tunnel is going to have the same catastrophic impact on the Delta during construction. The reduced water flow from the Sacramento River for a single tunnel is still a problem.
The good news is the design phase has got to start over. New "environmental impact" reports have to be developed and supposedly approved. New building permits have to be approved. New studies to determine the cost feasibility of construction+return vs the still colossal cost of building one tunnel have to be vetted out. All of these tasks will provide opponents of any tunnels new opportunities to defeat the new scheme ..... in the same fashion they defeated the Twin Tunnels/Waterfix plan. This buys us several more years of delay before anything happens..... which is good. What is not good is sleazy utilities like MWD are still around and even sleazier billionaires like the Resnicks are still around to push for a downsized single tunnel plan.
I agree completely.
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

In a nutshell the battle continues
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I didn't know John Garamendi was against the tunnels as well. My sense is there is not higher ranking public official so well aligned.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/so ... 11584.html
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Didn't one or a couple of islands end up in SoCal water districts hands over the last 5 years or so?
Mark?

I had to laugh at the Gov. of Calif. The top guy in Calif. cut'n the cord on the maglev train. 77 billion and way over deadline. We couldn't could make the train go from S.F. to San Diego in 25 frikin years and the new plan is to rebuild every building in the us reconfigure the power grid of the United States while eliminate flying with the greener maglev train everywhere all while carrying those who are unwilling to work along with us to the end in 12 years :wink: . Pretty much gut shot every loonie backing the newest flavor of politics.Need proof the Green Deal is going to go swimmingly..Just look at California :lol:

Makes that 5 billion look like change
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Kelly Ripa wrote:Didn't one or a couple of islands end up in SoCal water districts hands over the last 5 years or so?
You are correct. MWD, the primary villain in the destruction of the Delta owns multiple islands/tracts in the Delta, several of which are conveniently in the path of the proposed Tunnel.
Webb Tract
Bouldin Island
Bacon Island
Holland Tract
How does a So Cal Utility manage to buy up half the Delta ?

http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_About_Your_Wa ... curity.pdf
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

The Bigger Picture with MWD buying those islands are just to develop that is a small if any significance. Buy purchasing the land it entitles them to water rights - thats the $$$

Ill make a bigger prediction that they end up declaring some of those islands as "restored habitat" and market the **** out of how much "good" they are doing for restoring Riprian habitat - as they get a bigger say in water rights.... but i quite a sinyc these days.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:The Bigger Picture with MWD buying those islands are just to develop that is a small if any significance. Buy purchasing the land it entitles them to water rights - thats the $$$

Ill make a bigger prediction that they end up declaring some of those islands as "restored habitat" and market the **** out of how much "good" they are doing for restoring Riprian habitat - as they get a bigger say in water rights.... but i quite a sinyc these days.
I don't think you're a cynic, I think you just know how big money gets it's way, one way or another.
CLEAN AND DRY