Plain Arkie Head Jigs-Not Skirted

5/0

Plain Arkie Head Jigs-Not Skirted

Post by 5/0 »

I have a selection of Arkie skirted jigs. Do I need to have a selection of these heads without skirts?
I'm trying to reorganized my tackle bag to make room for things I haven't fished in the past like underspins and swim baits.
I'm planning to keep plain football heads in sizes 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 for Hula, DT, and ST grubs. Are there times when I would need an unskirted Arkie over a skirted one?

Thanks....Joe
WRB

Re: Plain Arkie Head Jigs-Not Skirted

Post by WRB »

I use Arkie type jigs in heavier cover, football jigs cast and retrieved in areas with sparsh cover.
Having plain and plain painted jigs allows you the option to add skirts as needed to save space, unless you use wire tied skirts.
Tom
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Joe, I'm not sure there's a right answer here. I used to throw 99% Arkie Heads but since have moved over to all football heads except when using a swim jig or Flippin jig. If I was you I'd consider a few heavier 3/4 and 1 ounce football heads. These work great when fishing deep they're the real deal.

I personally would not carry any unskirted Arkie heads.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I like both arkie head jigs and football head jigs
Arkie heads i like to tie up finesse light wire hook jigs 1/4oz. 3/16oz. 3/8oz. i have the molds too make 1/2oz and 3/4oz all light wire molds. But i dont use 1/2oz. and 3/4oz.
I like football head lite fiberguard jigs double collar in 1/4oz. 3/8oz. 1/2oz throwing in a few 3/4oz. also if you can get a few 1/4oz bullet head jigs there akso good too have iuse alott of yamamoto products there my go to trailers for my jigs. I use 4,6,8,10 lbs maxima ultragreen on all my spinning and casting setups i specialize in deep water jigging with jigs from 1/4 to 3/8 oz. I would carry a few 1/2oz. 3/4oz.football head jigs i perfer the lighter jigs and jig heads. Im not a big fish hunter so the lighter stuff works well for me cover doesn't slow me down.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
5/0

Post by 5/0 »

Thank you all for the help! It'll save me a lot of space.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I agree with Gary Dobyns on this one, I think i may have a few Arkie heads (naked) in my terminal tackle box that haven't been touched since i put them in. I use Arkie heads on my jigs but if im not flippin my canopy grenades jig I am typically flipping tungsten with a bobber stop and a hook. The versatility of the bobber stop has helped me reduce the clutter and maybe I can lighten the load as well.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
MT

Post by MT »

Feel free to send me all your useless jig heads for proper disposal.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I have a endless supply of jig heads i know the guy that makes mine.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley