A-rig rod question

nate50

A-rig rod question

Post by nate50 »

Hey everyone,

I broke my a-rig rod last week so I’m in the market for a new one. I was using a Shimano Crucial a-rig specific rod. I wish I could still get that rod it was perfect. I was looking at the Zodias line have anyone used this line for a-rigs? I’m normally a Shimano or Phenix rod fan, but I’m open to expanding my horizons. What rod are people using to throw rigs?
ash
SpeedBump

Re: A-rig rod question

Post by ash »

I picked up a Phenix Feather at the show in the XH 703 for jigs and I think the 8' version would make a great A-Rig rod. Give Vince a shout and see what he recommends.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

I think it depends on what and how heavy an A-Rig. For big heavy A-Rig (2-3oz), I use a MH swimbait rod (Daiwa DXSB 8' MH) and for everyday A-Rig like the G-Funk, I use a MH or H 7'6" Daiwa Tatula Elite series rod (7'4" Searchbait rod). Try rods that have similar action to a crankbait (moderate, not fast) rod for better hookups. Here is the link http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Lots of options for an A-Rig rod. It depends on how much weight you're chucking. Most of us are using 3/16 or 1/4 oz heads. So even a big XD 10 rod will throw these weights. Many guys are using 795 SB rod but I fell it's too much rod. We have a light swim bait rod call 794 SB with a 12" handle that works awesome. Feel free to call our office for rod recommendations anytime. We do this many times every single day. THX!!!

Dobyns Rods
903-919-8028
nate50

Post by nate50 »

Thanks for the input guys, I throw the flash mob jr with 1/4oz heads the most I will throw a frenzy rig as well but with the same heads. I have always thought of moderate action rods as crankbait rods or treble hook baits, the a rig having a jig style hook I assumed I wanted a faster action rod. Is my thinking all wrong? Lol treble hook baits/techniques moderate actions and jig style hooks (jigs, spinnerbaits buzzbaits) faster action
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You'll do better with a slightly slower rod for an A-Rig. Most of us are throwing braid anyway so there's no line stretch. The main reason for a slightly slower rod is it's much easier to "load and cast" these than a really fast action rod. It will be a lot less work on the angler. Plus if have really fast rod and you try to "drive cast" it you can overload the tip and break the rod. Even an A-Rig with all 1/4 oz weights, the baits and the rig itself , makes for a pretty heavy "bait". This is why many guys use Swimbait rods or bigger crankbait rods. My 2 cents. THX!!!
deltabass

Post by deltabass »

I've been throwing an A-rig a lot this new year using 3/16 and 1/4 ounce heads. My main rig has been the Yum flash mob junior and a Dobyns Champ 794sb Rod. I used to throw the 795sb Rod and have found that the 794 has an over all better feel for this set up. Casts a mile to and drives the hook. I also throw Basstrix type baits and smaller glide baits on it. Hope this helps.
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Lots of options for an A-Rig rod. It depends on how much weight you're chucking. Most of us are using 3/16 or 1/4 oz heads. So even a big XD 10 rod will throw these weights. Many guys are using 795 SB rod but I fell it's too much rod. We have a light swim bait rod call 794 SB with a 12" handle that works awesome. Feel free to call our office for rod recommendations anytime. We do this many times every single day. THX!!!

Dobyns Rods
903-919-8028

Would anything in the Fury line handle it? Say a 795SB ?
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
jdub

Post by jdub »

Dobyns 794SB.
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

deltabass wrote:I've been throwing an A-rig a lot this new year using 3/16 and 1/4 ounce heads. My main rig has been the Yum flash mob junior and a Dobyns Champ 794sb Rod. I used to throw the 795sb Rod and have found that the 794 has an over all better feel for this set up. Casts a mile to and drives the hook. I also throw Basstrix type baits and smaller glide baits on it. Hope this helps.
Ditto! I love mine.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Freefall"][quote="Gary Dobyns"]Lots of options for an A-Rig rod. It depends on how much weight you're chucking. Most of us are using 3/16 or 1/4 oz heads. So even a big XD 10 rod will throw these weights. Many guys are using 795 SB rod but I fell it's too much rod. We have a light swim bait rod call 794 SB with a 12" handle that works awesome. Feel free to call our office for rod recommendations anytime. We do this many times every single day. THX!!!

Dobyns Rods
903-919-8028[/quote]

Would anything in the Fury line handle it? Say a 795SB ?[/quote]

The best would be the FR 795 SB or FR 735C in the Fury line. Many guys throw the 795 SB, the Champ 794 SB is just a light rod and really fits the bill here. But's it's twice the price too. THX!!!
HrdHookSets

Post by HrdHookSets »

Dobyns Champion Series 806 with Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast that’s what I sling around
“Hooked Up On The Stern”
Tymelostent@icloud.com