Stories of fishing with your kids

Devon8604

Stories of fishing with your kids

Post by Devon8604 »

My wife and I are expecting our first child in late July, we just found out yesterday it is a boy! I couldn't be more excited. Everyone has been asking what is something i'm looking forward to? I honestly can't wait to take him fishing and see him catch his first fish. It's something i've dreamed about for years.

I want to know, what are some of your favorite memories fishing with your kids?
Larry Hemphill

Re: Stories of fishing with your kids

Post by Larry Hemphill »

My kids both followed the music part of my life (I was a public school music teacher) but not the fishing part. About five year ago I guided a mom and dad with their 5 yr old son in June at Berryessa. He brought his trusty Snoopy rod and reel with who knows what kind of line on it. He could actually cast that outfit and made a pretty good cast with the attached Robo worm. I heard the famous words from him soon - "I GOT A BITE!" Yea, right kid (I only thought that!). Immediately this big smallie jumps near the boat - and I panic. The boy and the fish are connected!!!! He reeled it in by himself for what seemed like an hour! Three pound smallie on the button! I went over that scene in my mind for the next week - "That couldn't have happened!!" It did - one of the highlight of my guiding career! Mom decided to top him in the afternoon with her 5 1/2 lb largemouth - her first big bass! The photos were on my website for years, but I have some more recent ones now, including a 6 yr old girl who caught a 3 1/2 lb largemouth at Berryessa 2 year ago, topping her dad and uncle. That photo is still up on my website. Lots of great kid guide stories, but these are some of my favorites!!
fishmanj

Post by fishmanj »

I love taking my kids fishing. My youngest boy has the fishing fever like I did when I was a kid and still do. He would go out with me sitting on my lap in a float tube since he was three. He is a little too big for us both to fit in the same tube now but we recently got an aluminum boat and are looking forward to getting on the water in it.
Attachments
7E464D98-76E8-41A5-8739-3A0E4D64A18C.jpeg
C68FB97A-DE52-44E7-8B14-65FBBE3C6241.jpeg
014AA6F8-F3C5-4915-9BB9-BCA5DFF51BAC.jpeg
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

2 things that I remember that were great. When he was 4 years old going to a small lake and catching large bluegills. He loved it.
When he was about 8 years old we water skied a lot and had for years. He would try to ski or ride an innertube and then ask to go bass fishing instead. He would always rather fish than play with water toys. We sold the ski boat and bought a boat that was better for fishing. Never looked back. He is now 40 and fishes a lot. My best days ever on Oroville were with him.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

The first time I took my son bass fishing , he was 4 1/2 years old . I waited until then because I didn't want to take him too early ( interest level , distractions etc..) and I wanted to make sure he was going to catch something . I will never forget that first day , he caught two nice bass on Crigs , reeled them in on his own etc... Ever since , he's been hooked on fishing , now lives in Texas and is fishing Lake Texoma today .
My advise to dads/moms when taking a kid fishing ---- take them when the fishing is really good , that way they don't get bored and they actually catch something . make the trip a short one 2-3 hours max and bring good snacks .
Lastly , make it all about them and having fun .
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I have two stories first one when my son was 7 or 8 years old about 15 years ago I hooked my PB of 8-12 in Mildred on a spinner bait. I fought the fish forever and should have lost it at least once or twice as the line was draped over the outboard while I fought it from the front deck. I wore it down so good so that junior could net my biggest fish. I made a big deal out of him netting my PB, we took pictures and released it. Great memory.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

The second story is one of the most scared moments of my life. Back around 2002 my 9 year old daughter and I were at Holland Riverside to launch our 2000 Triton for a day of fishing. It was super early in the morning and still dark. Instead of loosening the strap I undid the hook as if I had a buddy in the boat, started the engine and put it in reverse. Not sure hat I was thinking? When I backed into the water the boat backed about 20 yards from the dock and started going in circles. Needless to say my girl was panicking and I’m standing on the dock figuring I’m going to have to quickly strip down to my drawers and swim out to get her. Luckily there were two guys in a bass boat idling around who launched just before I did. The driver got his boat next to mine and the other guy jumped into my boat and got it under control. He brought my daughter and boat to the dock and even parked my truck for me! Those guys saved us that day!
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

So many memories. The tough part for me now is getting my kids out of bed in the morning or away from video games to get out on the water. The older they get the harder it seems. Here are a few of my favorites from recent memory.
Attachments
December 2017 save 079.JPG
December 2017 save 017.JPG
December 2017 save 008.JPG
Dave A

Post by Dave A »

Oh, and one other memory that was special. My youngest caught this one a few years back when he was 6 or 7. I was hooking fish on a dropshot then passing them off to my kids. We were on a bunch of 13 inchers then this one appeared. Still my youngest sons PB.
Attachments
December 2017 save 001.JPG
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

Taking my daughter to a farm pond when she was about 4 and smashing some giant crappies that I didn't know were in there. My son when he was about 7 catching a 6.5lb catfish, and last summer (now 22) him catching a 9 lb bass in a tournament for big fish and the win.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Congratulations and hope you son has your desire to be outdoors and fish.
When I asked my son and daughter what they remember about early fishing outings it wasn't about the fish they caught, they both enjoyed being out with dad. Getting ready to go and stopping for early breakfast at the local lake coffee shop where the other anglers hang out and the pancakes with hot chocolate.
Catching fish was more important to me then my kids and they caught lots if fish.
The tackle you set up is important. Childs hands are small so made up a 5' light action spinning rod with Zebco Omega small size Triggerspin reel that allowed a 2 handed cast with good balance. My advice is let them learn and use what they want. I found a split shot rig works good for kids but they want to use what you do.
Make the outings enjoyable and cherish the time, it goes faster then you think!
Tom
MBfishing151

Post by MBfishing151 »

Congrats on your new family addition. I am a new dad as well. 2 boys; 2 years old and 2 months old. I remember my grandpa bringing me to the piers, beaches and lakes as a very young kid. Though i don't have specific stories, i do remember learning so much from all the old timers. I would learn how to tie knots, set up leaders, organize tackle, catch live bait(when i got old enough) and obviously fish etc. But the best thing i remember was the old timers teaching me mannerism, how to be a young man, respect etc etc. These old timers were like grandpas to me since they were my grandpas long time fishing buddies. Til this day they tell the same old jokes and act like young kids when they get together. My hopes as a new dad is to surround my kids with good men like them. It took an army to raise me.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

You said it WRB it’s much more about time spent together than fish caught. I force fed my kids blues music in the truck and in the boat. It’s not their favorite genre but they both have an appreciation for the blues.
Devon8604

Post by Devon8604 »

All of these are great stories. I appreciate all the advice too. Thanks fellas! Tight lines.