Ca Delta wacky vs texas rigged senko?

serina_mikaelson

Ca Delta wacky vs texas rigged senko?

Post by serina_mikaelson »

I was wondering, ill be starting off this spring with a wacky and texas rig senko, what do you delta rats seem to prefer and what set ups do you throw with your senkos, braid mono floro hooks rod power weighted or no weights ext any thing helps, thanks again delta rats
nate50

Re: Ca Delta wacky vs texas rigged senko?

Post by nate50 »

Short answer both lol if I’m pitching them in cover tullies/grass Texas rigged but if I’m pitching grass lines or sparse tullies wacky. I’d prefer to go wacky anytime i can. As for my gear, Texas rigged first. I use a heavy rod with a super line hook straight 30lb braid to get them out of the junk. unless the water is super clean which is hardly ever. My wacky rig set up is a med heavy and a gama weedless wicked wacky hook. Normally braid to a mono leader. Cause I’m not dealing with all the junk.

I’m sure you will get a million different set up options
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

I'm right there with you nate50, except I use braid on both 98% of the time.
If the wind is blowing at all I also nail weight.

I always use 6" Senko's on the Delta.

It's just about that time of year too!
Good Luck
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Weightless Texas rig, 6 inch Senko, any with red flake. Braid to 20lb Mono leader. Any meaty jig rod will work, fast gears. Toss it in the middle of the tullies where nobody else would dare to
dwong

Post by dwong »

I'm curious why you guys prefer a braid to mono versus fluoro for this application? Is it to slow the fall?
FlippinDbombs

Post by FlippinDbombs »

I throw Texas rigged 100 percent 20 pound segar flippin Fluoro straight no braid I feel like I can get a few more bites that way and feel them even when the bite is very subtle . Wacky rig might get you more bites on the weed line but time after time the T rig produces bigger bites IMO i use a jig rod or my frog rod right now when the frog bites off .6 inch most of the year and when their really hitting I’ll throw a 7 inch into the tulles.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

dwong wrote:I'm curious why you guys prefer a braid to mono versus fluoro for this application? Is it to slow the fall?
Slower rate of fall
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

I use the Braid because I do a lot of line watching, not waiting for the pressure bite.
I believe Braid allows me to see this easier since it's floating on the surface.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

nate50 wrote:Short answer both lol if I’m pitching them in cover tullies/grass Texas rigged but if I’m pitching grass lines or sparse tullies wacky. I’d prefer to go wacky anytime i can. As for my gear, Texas rigged first. I use a heavy rod with a super line hook straight 30lb braid to get them out of the junk. unless the water is super clean which is hardly ever. My wacky rig set up is a med heavy and a gama weedless wicked wacky hook. Normally braid to a mono leader. Cause I’m not dealing with all the junk.

I’m sure you will get a million different set up options
I think Nate damn well nailed it - I would say if you have not tried out the Berkley General in the 6.25", out on the river you may want to add this one to your arsenal - It has a great ROF, texture and a scent trail that is killer - now that it is in the larger sizes it is primed for the Delta. http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley- ... 47436.html
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

What type of rod do you use?

I use 16 lb fluro year round, 20 or 25 lb during the spring for casting reels on senko rods.

My GF Jill uses 8 lb Yozuri Hybrid line on her spinning tackle with a splitshot 5" senko and she does pretty well.
nate50

Post by nate50 »

My go to rod for the 6 or 7 inch is a Shimano expride jig rod. If I’m throwing a 5 inch in the north delta I use a Shimano expride spinning rod
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Hey guys...

Just wanted to share this link as this seems to come up every now and then ... maybe thoughts change, or maybe they stay the same?

wacky-tex-rig-senko-t68397.html
jscarbr1

Post by jscarbr1 »

6" Senko or the 6.25 General
7' + rod with a fast tip, MH rod.
30lb braid in yellow, pink, blue or orange. Basically anything bright.
17lb or 20lb fluro leader. Mono is fine, but there are too many pluses for fluro over mono to ignore.
If I'm throwing deep in the tullies or skipping, I Texas rig it with a 5/0 gamakatsu ewg superline hook.
If I'm throwing in the trough or outside the weed line, I'll wacky rig it with a weedless finesse wide gap hook. Not a big fan of weedguards that hook onto the barb. Prefer weedguards that are a straight double piece of fiber or plastic.