motormate or old style trasom saver

GEORGE D.

motormate or old style trasom saver

Post by GEORGE D. »

hi looking to get a opion on trasom savers. i have a 150 otimax mercury around twenty years old and have the older style transom that you hook to trailer then to motor do you like that for protection or the new style motormate old transom needs to be replaced thanks george
WRB

Re: motormate or old style trasom saver

Post by WRB »

The Transom savers that support the engine with a bar extending from the trailer roller to the cavitation plate can create severe vibrations that loosen lower unit parts. The newer designs balance the engine so it doesn't rock back and forth flexing the boats transom.
If you haven't had a problem in 20 years what you have is working for you.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Moto Stop
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Bsapp206

Post by Bsapp206 »

Motor mate it won’t fall off ever. The old ones fall off.
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

WRB wrote:The Transom savers that support the engine with a bar extending from the trailer roller to the cavitation plate can create severe vibrations that loosen lower unit parts. The newer designs balance the engine so it doesn't rock back and forth flexing the boats transom.
Tom
Lol, be careful, 20 yrs doesn't mean it's not waterlogged and about to bust off! Just sayin'.

Moto Stop is the nicest mostest expensivist, however, in some applications, needs steering ram clips to keep the motor from turning.

Motor Mate is cheaper, cool powder coat colors, and usually doesn't need steering clips. Not indestructible like MotoStop.
Fish ON!--------------<')))><

Fishfreq at gmail.com
YouTube: FishFreq, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4mzl2QfT3AuE6aiUKA0Gw
https://www.instagram.com/fishfreq/
https://www.facebook.com/Fishfreq
WRB

Post by WRB »

Fishfreq wrote:
WRB wrote:The Transom savers that support the engine with a bar extending from the trailer roller to the cavitation plate can create severe vibrations that loosen lower unit parts. The newer designs balance the engine so it doesn't rock back and forth flexing the boats transom.
Tom
Lol, be careful, 20 yrs doesn't mean it's not waterlogged and about to bust off! Just sayin'.

Moto Stop is the nicest mostest expensivist, however, in some applications, needs steering ram clips to keep the motor from turning.

Motor Mate is cheaper, cool powder coat colors, and usually doesn't need steering clips. Not indestructible like MotoStop.
I said The OP could get a new Transom Saver like the old one he has, the rubber pads wear out, metal doesn't water log, it corrodes.
150 hp Merc a Wedge transom savor works OK and very reasonable.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

I ran the Trailer style on my old boat for years, no issue. Recently purchased a demo, came with Motormate and the Dealers recommendation of the same. Did some research and there are good arguments both ways; most common -
- Trailer style actually supports the assembly, relieving the transom of doing so over rough roads.
- Trailer style transfers rough road issues that the trailer experiences and transfers them right to the motor assembly, Motormate style does not.

Both good points! Finally opened the Owners manual ( LOL ), Ranger recommends the Trailer style! So I bought one and have been using it.

All that being said, and I also just called the Great people at Motor Mate to purchase some new inserts for mine. They will ship them at no charge, Great Service! When I recieve the new inserts, I will likely use it for a while! It's just easier! I think WRB has Great input -
"The Transom savers that support the engine with a bar extending from the trailer roller to the cavitation plate can create severe vibrations that loosen lower unit parts. The newer designs balance the engine so it doesn't rock back and forth flexing the boats transom.
Tom"
Has anyone ran a Motor Mate style for many years with no issues ?? How many years ?
~ Tony
hawkmandu

Post by hawkmandu »

I've been using a motor mate for 16 years without any issues.
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

TonyL wrote:I ran the Trailer style on my old boat for years, no issue. Recently purchased a demo, came with Motormate and the Dealers recommendation of the same. Did some research and there are good arguments both ways; most common -
- Trailer style actually supports the assembly, relieving the transom of doing so over rough roads.
- Trailer style transfers rough road issues that the trailer experiences and transfers them right to the motor assembly, Motormate style does not.

Both good points! Finally opened the Owners manual ( LOL ), Ranger recommends the Trailer style! So I bought one and have been using it.

All that being said, and I also just called the Great people at Motor Mate to purchase some new inserts for mine. They will ship them at no charge, Great Service! When I recieve the new inserts, I will likely use it for a while! It's just easier! I think WRB has Great input -
"The Transom savers that support the engine with a bar extending from the trailer roller to the cavitation plate can create severe vibrations that loosen lower unit parts. The newer designs balance the engine so it doesn't rock back and forth flexing the boats transom.
Tom"
Has anyone ran a Motor Mate style for many years with no issues ?? How many years ?
I've run the MM style MotoStop, 225 hp 3.0 L V6 out on the end of a 10" Bob's hydro jack for 11 years and that Ranger didn't have a single stress crack at the transom. Ran both styles on 2 other Rangers dating back 19 years, not one issue either way.

One is small, easy to store, the other is long, hard to store.

The old school long trailer style uses bungee cords to keep the vee on the lower unit, they snap, eventually the pads wear paint off your lower unit, but by then you're usually repainting it because your skeg paint is gone. These also will sometimes break because of stress at junction of the square alum tubing and the cast vee head. You'll need steering ram clips to keep the motor straight too.

Smart money: use the small MotoStop or Motor Mate if you can, especially if you have a Ranger or other modern strong hull design. For the OP or anyone with an older boat, including those with wood transoms (most boats over 20 yrs old) I'd definitely use the long trailer type support with the steering ram clips if you have hydraulic steering.

I just got a Motor Mate for my Triton in bright powder coated red, so I don't forget it before launching, Lol! Never done that, but it sure is a nice quality support for a good TW sale price. Works great.
Fish ON!--------------<')))><

Fishfreq at gmail.com
YouTube: FishFreq, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4mzl2QfT3AuE6aiUKA0Gw
https://www.instagram.com/fishfreq/
https://www.facebook.com/Fishfreq
GEORGE D.

Post by GEORGE D. »

thank you for your help george
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

Go to the Motor Mate website and check to see which one fits your motor before ordering. If you are unsure, give them a call and they will help you. Motor Mate works great on my 2007 Mercury 175hp Pro XS.