Clear Lake 3/19/19

On The Water Guide Service

Clear Lake 3/19/19

Post by On The Water Guide Service »

fishing report clear lake march 19.jpg
The bite is really starting to heat up on Clear Lake. Spring has Sprung and the results of last weekends tournament is testament to that. I had a chance to get out today and do a little fun fishing with a friend of mine and we absolutely crushed them on the A-rig. Conditions were just perfect for the rig. We had a cloudy sky with a slight breeze coming out of the northwest and the water temps were 55* to 59* with slightly stained water and about a foot and a half visibility. Granted we didn't catch any real giants but we stumbled on a mega school of 2 to 4 pounders and the action was just phenomenal. I had intentions of going out and mixing it up between a swimbait, glide bait and the rig but for the life of me I just couldn't put that A-rig rod down. Hell I even caught a crappie on the darn thing. Lot's of Fun.

It appears we have a couple storms supposed to come through later this week but I suspect it wont hurt the bite any. The lake level is on a slow downward trend and was at 8.91 on the Rumsey scale this afternoon. We are only going to get a little over an inch so hopefully there won't be any flooding issues.
The Hitch have been swimming up the creeks and inlets on the first part of their spawning run and that means it is time to break out the big rods and get to work. The 7" and 8" top hook Tallon's have been working well in the light hitch and chartreuse shad colors. The locally made Trash Fish swimbait has also been working well in the LC hitch and light hitch colors. If throwing big baits is not your thing, try a 4.8 or 5.8 Keitech swimbait on a weighted EWG hook. Should be an epic flipping bite this summer with the high water conditions also.

The crappie bite is turning on and they are heading towards shore to set up for their spawn. Deep water docks, flooded bushes, and creek mouths have been good areas to catch them. Some of the more successful crappie fisherman have been using a sliding bobber technique with a chartreuse or white jig. The key is to find out the depth they are suspending at and set your bobber stop accordingly.

Tight Lines and good fishing,

Troy Bellah
Last edited by On The Water Guide Service on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devon8604

Re: Clear Lake 3/19/19

Post by Devon8604 »

Great post! Looking forward to a killer year on CL!
Jesse Vang

Post by Jesse Vang »

Awesome. Question, where did you launch from since some boat launches are closed due to flooding ?
Bsapp206

Post by Bsapp206 »

And thanks for keeping your face covered!! :) who is that masked man?? I’ll see ya out there....
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

From Lakeport Bait & Tackle Yesterday (on the ramps)

UPDATE: Library Park boat ramps remain open! (The play structure and grass areas around the gazebo are closed)
County Park is now open!!

The no wake zone is still being enforced and debris is still a hazard. Be safe out there!!
drdetroit3

Post by drdetroit3 »

Thanks for the update, anyone know if the launch in Nice is open?
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Great post Troy !..... what glide baits would you recommend ‘ for this time of year ?..
ILW

Post by ILW »

Thanks for the Clear Lake reports. Was thinking about a trip.
Sam K

Post by Sam K »

Glads to see these reports. I'll be down next month, so keep it up!!