Knots

Kelly Ripa

Knots

Post by Kelly Ripa »

With all the posts on knots...What knot do you use on your dropshot hook? I have changed my ways and am wondering what say you on this subject.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
zdbm2004

Re: Knots

Post by zdbm2004 »

Kelly I tie a palomar or a single trilene with the tag passed back thru to get the hook to stand out. A palomar on 6# Sunline FC to 20# Power pro and 1/0 gammie rebarb hook yielded a 9lb12oz bed fish for me last year in and out of brush so that makes me a believer. I used the trilene (single and double) knot since I was a kid for all the species in the SF Bay Area salt to fresh water and it’s a phenomenal knot with lots of strength for all types of line. The trilene knot you don’t use a lot of line to tie where the palomar sometimes you have to use a bunch but is useful for the drop shot. I think lots will say their knot is better but I tie what has worked for me.
zmyers
WRB

Post by WRB »

Drop shoot to me is a finesse rig using 5# Maxima Ultra Green or 7# Sunline Sniper FC.
Hooks are Owner #5133 down shot for weedless rig, Owner mosquito or Gamakatsu Martens Drop shoot for nose or wacky hooked.
Knots; Palomar is the knot I use with drop shoot with the above hooks and line. The important factor with a Palomar knot is don't twist the loop putting it over the hook, it crosses the line over, then wet snug up the over hand knot then clinch tight using the tag end.
If you hold the hook point facing away from the eye when inserting the line into hook eye, it should hang point upright without putting the tag end back through the hook eye.
Tom
twocold

Post by twocold »

used to use a palomar found this knot and have never looked back and it has never failed me

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Sl8B9v1YIZs[/youtube]
WRB

Post by WRB »

^^^^looks good^^^^ thanks for sharing.
Tom
fastfiat

Post by fastfiat »

[quote="twocold"]used to use a palomar found this knot and have never looked back and it has never failed me

Also been using this knot for a while now.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Ha! I use that knot for double dropper surf rigs. Never thought about using it for dropshot. Thanks!
BillyFletch

Post by BillyFletch »

zdbm2004 wrote:a single trilene with the tag passed back thru to get the hook to stand out.

Please explain for my simple brain. The trilene is my favorite knot.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

My go to is the Palomar Knot especially when nose hooking, when I bubba shot i go to the san diego jam knot, in both instances i pass the tag end through the eye hook to get that bait to stick straight out. A-Mart showed me how to use the San Diego Jam knot on a drop shot years ago at an Anglers Marine seminar and i have stuck with these two knots as they just havnt failed me.

Ok Rippa - your turn what sexiness did you discover?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

And I'm right there with you ASH. Now that I am fishing Casitas "the Jungle" I have been using the San Diego Jamb knot and a zone loc hook. The knot keeps the hook out where I want it and perpendicular. This zone loc hook is made straight like a spinnerbait trailer hook so I can get through some of the more nasty stuff without getting hung up near as much and the loc is a bonus. Thanks to all
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
mudman

Post by mudman »

used to use a palomar found this knot and have never looked back and it has never failed me

Really good knot.