Help Wanted: Striper Casting Reel

reddragon

Help Wanted: Striper Casting Reel

Post by reddragon »

Hey guys I want to finally get a dedicated striper set up. I have the rod already and was wondering if you all had any suggestions in the reel. This is going to be a casting reel, for duties such as jerkbaits, top-water, swimbaits, all moving baits, etc. Price is not an issue. I was thinking about a 300 sized Calcutta, but I've never fished round reels with moving baits before. I especially love using jerkbaits and wanted to ask if a 300 sized round reel is comfortable when using jerk twitch baits?
WB Staff

Re: Help Wanted: Striper Casting Reel

Post by WB Staff »

Alan Fong (from Fisherman's Warehouse Sacramento) passed on this info

The Calcutta 300 is used for bigger swimbaits and glide baits like 4-8oz. For throwing ripbaits just use Curado 200k - any of the low profile reels.

This is some of what Alan's been catching this year, if you missed it
alan-big-stripers-the-california-delta-t119447.html
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

I use the Daiwa Costal 200hs. It's basically a beefed up 200 size Tatula with corrosion resistant parts. it also has a 100 mm handle and comes in 7.3:1 with a heavier drag stack. I use it to throw big glides when bass fishing! But I really like it for big stripers. The T wing system minimizes backlashes and I think that has saved many cast-offs of windy days. Check it out.
reddragon

Post by reddragon »

Thanks, I have a lot of 200 sized reels maybe I can just use that then if I dont plan on throwing big swim baits. However, since I usually shore fish when fishing for stripers im just thinking the line capacity on a 200 reel is too little if I hook up something big...
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

I've caught stripers from shore up to 18 lbs using curado 200 sized reels and 12-15 lb line with out much difficulty. never been close to being spooled.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Shimano Tranx 300 or 400.
Tom
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

Look at the new Lew's Super duty 300 wide spool. Holds 190 yards of 14lb test and has 24 lbs of drag. Great reel for $200
MBfishing151

Post by MBfishing151 »

Tranx 300 or like mentioned above the Daiwa coastal. ive fished both and can cast any bait with ease. Also they can fight stripers of any size. I will say the daiwa coastal can throw your smaller baits with ease too. I dont normally throw small baits on my tranx but i did just order a tranx 200 so we will see how that goes.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Reddragon,
I sent you a pm.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DeltaK

Post by DeltaK »

I have a Calcutta 300te for sale
THE DR

Post by THE DR »

SacRtrain wrote:I use the Daiwa Costal 200hs. It's basically a beefed up 200 size Tatula with corrosion resistant parts. it also has a 100 mm handle and comes in 7.3:1 with a heavier drag stack. I use it to throw big glides when bass fishing! But I really like it for big stripers. The T wing system minimizes backlashes and I think that has saved many cast-offs of windy days. Check it out.

This is one of the best options for Delta stripers. The over sized handle and big drag area perfect match for hard pulling striper. It's best suited for larger topwater plugs, glides and swimmers. Fill it with 65lb braid and a short 25-30lb leader.

I'd stick to a smaller 100-200 sized reel for jerkbaits. A standard Tatula reel is what I use.
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

THE DR wrote:
SacRtrain wrote:I use the Daiwa Costal 200hs. It's basically a beefed up 200 size Tatula with corrosion resistant parts. it also has a 100 mm handle and comes in 7.3:1 with a heavier drag stack. I use it to throw big glides when bass fishing! But I really like it for big stripers. The T wing system minimizes backlashes and I think that has saved many cast-offs of windy days. Check it out.

This is one of the best options for Delta stripers. The over sized handle and big drag area perfect match for hard pulling striper. It's best suited for larger topwater plugs, glides and swimmers. Fill it with 65lb braid and a short 25-30lb leader.

I'd stick to a smaller 100-200 sized reel for jerkbaits. A standard Tatula reel is what I use.
Agreed. 1st gen Tatula 100 is money for striper jerkbaits.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I picked up a Tranx 200 at Coyote during their last sale a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had it out on the boat, but it cast the 168 S-waver just fine from shore at the local pond. Might be a good fit for your application. Has the corrosion resistance like the 300 and 400.
Gerik M.

Post by Gerik M. »

It might not be perfect for fishing Jerkbaits, but as an all around striper setup a ton of guys go with the Diawa Lexa 300 w/ 40lb Braid. That's what I'd go with but thats just me.
ING

Post by ING »

For shore or pier fishing - Abu Garcia STX
For boat - Penn 320i