12 month license, FINALLY!

Bassinlee

12 month license, FINALLY!

Post by Bassinlee »

It’s about time. Been bugging me for some time.

https://boatingindustry.com/news/2019/0 ... 1207356J6C

Now let’s see if it actually gets through various committees and gets signed.
WB Staff

Re: 12 month license, FINALLY!

Post by WB Staff »

California’s 12-month fishing license receives unanimous support

The California Assembly’s Appropriations Committee voted unanimously this week to support fishing licenses that expire 12 months after the date of purchase, a change that will provide greater value to anglers. Currently, licenses expire on Dec. 31, regardless of when they are purchased. With the support of NMMA, the California Sportfishing League, American Sportfishing Association, and 20 additional organizations, the new fee structure would be a step toward reversing the precipitous decline in fishing participation in the state.

California has the lowest fishing participation in the country per capita, and its license is the second most expensive in the country. Fishing license sales have increased nationally by 4.3 percent since 2009, yet sales in California have declined 55 percent over that same period. The continual decline in license sales occurred despite a nearly 60 percent population growth in California since 1980, one of the longest coastlines in the country, and thousands upon thousands of freshwater lakes, rivers and streams.

The legislation must pass several additional hurdles before it reaches newly-elected Governor Gavin Newsom’s desk, but this week’s vote is a welcome sign of strong support in one of the legislature’s most powerful and influential committees.
Attachments
download.jpg
sdisturber

Post by sdisturber »

That’s great but a bunch of tree hugger lawyers have infiltrated state government and just about killed trout planting in California and that’s where most kids start they’re love of fishing and the outdoors.Sad, I remember this time of year being truly excited about the trout stream opener every year but without trout plants it’s tough for a family to justify spending the recreational dollar on a weekend in the sierras
Pat

Post by Pat »

This truly is great news. Hope it continues on its path to implementation. Call your legislator!
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I hope it passes, but my understanding is it has not passed the last couple of years. I have very little confidence in our state government doing the right thing. The states that have gone to the 12 month licenses have shown an increase in revenue from more being sold.
Gerik M.

Post by Gerik M. »

Lets pray this passes!