Braid to mono knot on a spinning reel

Bassfishman

Braid to mono knot on a spinning reel

Post by Bassfishman »

Ok this subject has been around for ever, but this is different. I tie a really good Albright knot - smooth uniform 6 wrap barrel when it’s all sinched up and tag lines cut very close. The knot goes through the eyes perfectly. The problem is on a spinning reel the knot catches the line as the line comes off the spool. On a baitcaster this is never a problem. I’m tying 12 lb mono to 30 lb braid. I only put about 10 to 15 yards of mono or flouro top shot on top of the braid. So the knot is kinda exposed on the spool and it catches the mono right at the beginning of the cast. This is my Senko set up by the way so the line is kinda loose on the reel.

What do you guys do for the knot on a spinning reel.
BigBassDaddy1190

Re: Braid to mono knot on a spinning reel

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Shorten your leader length and it will solve the problem of getting caught on itself in the spool.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

What he said. The knot should never be in the spool. I use a double uni for the connection and a San Diego Jamb knot for my hook. Same set up I use for tuna only you need to upgrade everything and dump the spinning equipment. :wink: ..but everything else is the same.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Yep, six-seven foot max will do the trick. I use an RP knot and never an issue.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

DanIsaac wrote:Yep, six-seven foot max will do the trick. I use an RP knot and never an issue.
The RP Knot and the Albright Knot seem to be the same knot. Did Frank put his name on an existing knot? :shock:
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

Kelly Ripa wrote:What he said. The knot should never be in the spool. I use a double uni for the connection and a San Diego Jamb knot for my hook. Same set up I use for tuna only you need to upgrade everything and dump the spinning equipment. :wink: ..but everything else is the same.
For long range fishing using conventional gear I always use the Albright Knot - for me its easier to tie than the double uni. For terminal connections I always use the San Diego or Double San Diego. I never have knot failures. Usually getting sawed off is a bigger problem. But that's long range fishing.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Ive been running the blood knot for years, never had problem with the knot - I did have a dumb user error where i nicked the line above the knot once but i was stupid and thought it was OK -

I will run a blood knot down into my spinning spool and through the guides no problem, on a bait caster i keep it out in front of the line pawl.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

Anybody using the Alberto knot, and how does it hold?
Fish ON!--------------<')))><

Fishfreq at gmail.com
YouTube: FishFreq, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb4mzl2QfT3AuE6aiUKA0Gw
https://www.instagram.com/fishfreq/
https://www.facebook.com/Fishfreq
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Fishfreq wrote:Anybody using the Alberto knot, and how does it hold?
some guys swear by them, personally i lost two good ones at the connection point years ago and went looking for a knot i could trust that i could tie right everytime with 100% confidence. I am sure i was the point of failure in the alberto but the thing I LOVE about the blood knot is when it is tied correctly it tells you by the cinch, the click, and the tag ends sticking out opposite of each other. Coupled that with not having a failure in the last three years, I stopped looking for other connection knots. Find one that works for ya and own it I mean to the point where you dont trust your buddies knots cause you know your stuff is spot on - that is my best advice
Links to Check Out -
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

Goggle Lefty Kreh knot. I've been using this knot for about a year now with no issues. Very fast and easy to tie.
Par

Post by Par »

Google "Berkley AC WRL & A Knot For You" and fast forward 16.52 minutes into the video. They show you how to tie this knot. This is the best braid to fluor knot I've found so far.
Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Par wrote:Google "Berkley AC WRL & A Knot For You" and fast forward 16.52 minutes into the video. They show you how to tie this knot. This is the best braid to fluor knot I've found so far.
Also Known as the Tony Pena Knot - https://www.westernbass.com/video/berkl ... ot-for-you Maybe I can talk Randy into shooting a new video with his BassCat as the Promo :D
Links to Check Out -
WAUTE

Post by WAUTE »

ash wrote:Ive been running the blood knot for years, never had problem with the knot - I did have a dumb user error where i nicked the line above the knot once but i was stupid and thought it was OK -

I will run a blood knot down into my spinning spool and through the guides no problem, on a bait caster i keep it out in front of the line pawl.
I agree, never have an issue with this setup even on the spool. Saying to never have the knot on the spool is untrue, there are times I use braid to a floro leader that is exactly double my rod length. To each there own but again no issues whatsoever with above mentioned setup.
Gerik M.

Post by Gerik M. »

I'm no expert, but I have almost always used the alberto knot. And contrary to what many on this forum say I Keep my leaders long. I make sure my knot is as tight as it will go and then cut the tag end of my flouro as close to the knot as possible. From there I reel on 18'-25' of leader and when I do it this way the knot does not get caught up in the guides because by the time the knot is passing through the reel/eyes there is plenty of momentum to keep it smooth. I'm no expert but that is what works for me.
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

Gerik M. wrote:I'm no expert, but I have almost always used the alberto knot. And contrary to what many on this forum say I Keep my leaders long. I make sure my knot is as tight as it will go and then cut the tag end of my flouro as close to the knot as possible. From there I reel on 18'-25' of leader and when I do it this way the knot does not get caught up in the guides because by the time the knot is passing through the reel/eyes there is plenty of momentum to keep it smooth. I'm no expert but that is what works for me.
Good word Gerik!

Fishfreq at gmail.com
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Straight braid... I know it's not an answer but I'm really surprised that isn't used more frequently. Especially, at places like Delta that is never crystal clear...
Fishfreq

Post by Fishfreq »

nivanov30 wrote:Straight braid... I know it's not an answer but I'm really surprised that isn't used more frequently. Especially, at places like Delta that is never crystal clear...
I use straight braid in the delta and CL for all punching and frog work, AND in clear water, they don't care. Done it pitching senko's too. It's in the weeds is why it doesn't matter so much. But I do take a dark green sharpie, slice a cut in it with a razor, and darken the last 2 ft or so...

Fishfreq at gmail.com
Gerik M.

Post by Gerik M. »

Straight braid is good to me when using the higher pound tests like 40-65 but when tying knots with 15lb-20lb if you are not careful you will cut your hands up when you pull your knot together.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gerik M. wrote:Straight braid is good to me when using the higher pound tests like 40-65 but when tying knots with 15lb-20lb if you are not careful you will cut your hands up when you pull your knot together.
I have found that straight braid will get fouled in treble hooks much more often than braid with short mono or fluoro leader.
Also, straight braid will find it's way into split rings and loops on spinnerbaits, so, again, I use a short 20# fluoro leader, and just retie after a couple of fish, or when it feels rough.
The time I spend retying is a lot less than I used to spend getting the braid out of trebles and split rings.
One year, at the Anglers Marine Bass A Thon, Brent Ehrler said he makes sure the braid to leader knot never gets into his spinning reel's spool, and that prevents problems when casting. It works for me.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Wind on leaders using conventional ocean reels isn't any problem, no level wind.
Why bass anglers think they need tuna strength terminal tackle for LMB is another topic, LMB aren't powerful fish. I my opinion braid is over kill unless it's needed to cut through heavy aquatic vegetation or using braid to reduce line twist, otherwise use straight mono or FC line.
Any braid to leader requires 2 knots that is twice as likely to fail then 1 knot. Whatever knot you choose for a braid to leader you should be able to tie it under fishing conditions.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

mark poulson wrote:
Gerik M. wrote:Straight braid is good to me when using the higher pound tests like 40-65 but when tying knots with 15lb-20lb if you are not careful you will cut your hands up when you pull your knot together.
I have found that straight braid will get fouled in treble hooks much more often than braid with short mono or fluoro leader.
Also, straight braid will find it's way into split rings and loops on spinnerbaits, so, again, I use a short 20# fluoro leader, and just retie after a couple of fish, or when it feels rough.
The time I spend retying is a lot less than I used to spend getting the braid out of trebles and split rings.
One year, at the Anglers Marine Bass A Thon, Brent Ehrler said he makes sure the braid to leader knot never gets into his spinning reel's spool, and that prevents problems when casting. It works for me.
Truth, I use a 3-4' leader of Mono or Fluro for cranks gives a lil bit of stretch and IMHO helps keeps em pinned and allows the bait to load up a bit in the grass getting more of that sling shot affect.

If you do run strait braid on baits with treble hooks a trick i was shown (that works GREAT) is to take really small shrink tube or a stir straw and put it up the line in front of the knot and a bobber stop to keep it from sliding all the way up. I was shown this fishing Top Water on Shasta where you are making LOOOOONG bomb casts with a walking bait and dont want the stretch - the plastic keeps the braid from fouling into the hooks :D

As with everything in this sport trial and error to see what works for you and hopefully it doesnt cost you a big bite like it has me on several occasions.
Links to Check Out -
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Truth, I use a 3-4' leader of Mono or Fluro for cranks gives a lil bit of stretch and IMHO helps keeps em pinned and allows the bait to load up a bit in the grass getting more of that sling shot affect.

If you do run strait braid on baits with treble hooks a trick i was shown (that works GREAT) is to take really small shrink tube or a stir straw and put it up the line in front of the knot and a bobber stop to keep it from sliding all the way up. I was shown this fishing Top Water on Shasta where you are making LOOOOONG bomb casts with a walking bait and dont want the stretch - the plastic keeps the braid from fouling into the hooks :D

As with everything in this sport trial and error to see what works for you and hopefully it doesnt cost you a big bite like it has me on several occasions.
That is a clever idea! Thanks.
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Wind on leaders using conventional ocean reels isn't any problem, no level wind.
Why bass anglers think they need tuna strength terminal tackle for LMB is another topic, LMB aren't powerful fish. I my opinion braid is over kill unless it's needed to cut through heavy aquatic vegetation or using braid to reduce line twist, otherwise use straight mono or FC line.
Any braid to leader requires 2 knots that is twice as likely to fail then 1 knot. Whatever knot you choose for a braid to leader you should be able to tie it under fishing conditions.
Tom
Tom,
Fishing the Delta, with all the tules and grass, totally changed the way I fish, and the line I use.
Down in SoCal, I fished straight mono and fluoro. I did go to light braid on my drop shot setup, with a fluoro leader, to combat line twist.
Now that I live up here and fish the Delta, I fish heavy braid and a short leader with everything.
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

mark poulson wrote:
WRB wrote:Wind on leaders using conventional ocean reels isn't any problem, no level wind.
Tom
Tom,
Fishing the Delta, with all the tules and grass, totally changed the way I fish, and the line I use.
Down in SoCal, I fished straight mono and fluoro. I did go to light braid on my drop shot setup, with a fluoro leader, to combat line twist.
Now that I live up here and fish the Delta, I fish heavy braid and a short leader with everything.
I would make about 2 trips a year to the Delta,my daughter lives in San Jose and son was going to Berkley and freinds in Stockton area. Spooled 60 lb FINNS braid from my salt water reels and fished the heavy cover. No reason to add ax leader unless you want it to break, bass are not line shy up there!
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Tom
Tom,
I would make about 2 trips a year to the Delta,my daughter lives in San Jose and son was going to Berkley and freinds in Stockton area. Spooled 60 lb FINNS braid from my salt water reels and fished the heavy cover. No reason to add ax leader unless you want it to break, bass are not line shy up there!
Tom
I agree. I only add a short leader to keep the braid from fouling my treble hooks, and to keep it out of the split rings and wire loops on my spinnerbaits. Otherwise, I prefer to use straight braid.
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

When I fish the Delta it's the only chance to use braid for heavy cover so for me it's jigs and frogs.
Everything else I used my standard SoCal mono or FC outfits.
Don't fish off shore big game tuna or Marlin anymore where braid for line capacity with 100' long top shot mono or FC, not really a leader. When the fish weigh more then I do and run several hundred yards line capacity is essential and smaller dia braid is a advantage.
Hope everything up north is going well.
Tom
PS, Finns WindTamer braid works good on bait casting, not soft like PP braid.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:When I fish the Delta it's the only chance to use braid for heavy cover so for me it's jigs and frogs.
Everything else I used my standard SoCal mono or FC outfits.
Don't fish off shore big game tuna or Marlin anymore where braid for line capacity with 100' long top shot mono or FC, not really a leader. When the fish weigh more then I do and run several hundred yards line capacity is essential and smaller dia braid is a advantage.
Hope everything up north is going well.
Tom
PS, Finns WindTamer braid works good on bait casting, not soft like PP braid.
Thanks.
Wasn't Stren's Super Braid made from Spectra? Their claim at that time was that it kept it's round shape much better.
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Spectra is a trade name of Honeywell who supplies nearly everyone making braid today.
Finns uses a polyuerathane coating that helps to keep it round. 8 carriers vs 4 carriers also helps but tends to increase diameter.
I don't know if you remember the late Val White at Action Tackle, he introduced me to Finns PRT braid back in 90's, I like it because color is permanent and it's quite going through the guides.
I think we have gotten away from topic question.
Happy Easter,
Tom