World record spotted bass

Lennybb

World record spotted bass

Post by Lennybb »

A few years ago there was a world record spot caught but the guy who caught it didn’t weigh it on lake so he didn’t get the record. No one is telling anyone what lake? They are calling it Lake X. I’m from Sac and I’ve fished most of the northern lakes but I can’t seem to find the lake. I’ve been to every lake I can think of looking for the boat ramp in the video but I just can’t find it. I will link the video and if any of you know this lake please let me know. I’m going to go catch that fish and get that record. I’ve spent 300 days on
Bullards in the last 2 years so I’m going to try s new spot to catch the record spot. Anyone know ? In the video they mention the last guy in that area had to go to Truckee to get a scale.

jakeauc

Re: World record spotted bass

Post by jakeauc »

Really?
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

you mentioned lake X in your post "I’ve spent 300 days on
Bullards in the last 2 years so I’m going to try s new spot to catch the record spot." :roll: The guy you are referring to is Paul Bailey, right after him was Wes Roberson (twice i believe) both are great stories but Paul had his on video. :D
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

One would think that Bullards would be the X for the next record..
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

We have a lake X in central ca. also big bass in it.
Big limits have been catch on this lake.
Along with pictures.
:roll: info tuff to get
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

jiggin4bass wrote:We have a lake X in central ca. also big bass in it.
Big limits have been catch on this lake.
Along with pictures.
:roll: info tuff to get
Dont you worry jigs no one is going to mention EASTMAN LAKE on this thread.... your secret is safe with us. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Links to Check Out -
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

:shock: somebody found out OH NO not again.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I would argue that any warm enough lake with Kokanee can have a DD spotted bass, I recommend picking one and learning it. I've seen more DD's on my home lake than at Bullards because I know what they want and where they are instead of trying to learn a new lake far from home.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
kmurphy

Post by kmurphy »

Check the State Inland Freshwater Record rules. I had them changed to more align with IGFA. This also makes submitting for a record simplified - i.e. you no longer need to have the fish observed by a CDFG official, just clear pictures for positive ID. AND you have thirty days from date of catch to have scale certified.

No more excuses! Do your homework and go prepared!
><((((º>`·.̧.·́̄`·...̧><((((º>̧. ·́̄`·...̧><((((º> ·́̄`·.̧. , .. ><((((º>`·.̧̧.·́̄`·...̧><((((º>
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kmurphy wrote:Check the State Inland Freshwater Record rules. I had them changed to more align with IGFA. This also makes submitting for a record simplified - i.e. you no longer need to have the fish observed by a CDFG official, just clear pictures for positive ID. AND you have thirty days from date of catch to have scale certified.

No more excuses! Do your homework and go prepared!
Nice to hear from you again Kyle.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Steve

Post by Steve »

Too bad none of those fish caught in Bullards were actually spotted bass :shock:
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

Lake X, AKA Scott's Flat
CG

Post by CG »

HAR. No spots at Scotts
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Steve wrote:Too bad none of those fish caught in Bullards were actually spotted bass :shock:
Can’t let you off the hook with this drive by comment. Please explain yourself and provide facts to backup your claim.
Links to Check Out -
biteme

Post by biteme »

ash wrote:you mentioned lake X in your post "I’ve spent 300 days on
Bullards in the last 2 years so I’m going to try s new spot to catch the record spot." :roll: The guy you are referring to is Paul Bailey, right after him was Wes Roberson (twice i believe) both are great stories but Paul had his on video. :D
Wes only got em once.
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

[quote="ash"][quote="Steve"]Too bad none of those fish caught in Bullards were actually spotted bass :shock:[/quote]

Can’t let you off the hook with this drive by comment. Please explain yourself and provide facts to backup your claim.[/quote]

The Alabama Bass in Bullards are not Spotted Bass. They are now recognized as 2 distinct species.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

So what alegged special mutant species is the bullards bass? I mean iFGA has recognized three fish from bullards as spotted Bass world records so I’m really curious what the scientific species distinction is that you speak of
Links to Check Out -
biteme

Post by biteme »

ash wrote:So what alegged special mutant species is the bullards bass? I mean iFGA has recognized three fish from bullards as spotted Bass world records so I’m really curious what the scientific species distinction is that you speak of
Not only that why aren't these fish getting this big in Alabama?
I'm not buying it.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

biteme wrote:
ash wrote:So what alegged special mutant species is the bullards bass? I mean iFGA has recognized three fish from bullards as spotted Bass world records so I’m really curious what the scientific species distinction is that you speak of
Not only that why aren't these fish getting this big in Alabama?
I'm not buying it.
They don't have the right habitat in Alabama. No kokanee. . . No DDs
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Kennortonjr

Post by Kennortonjr »

An interesting article on Alabama bass:

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/ ... ***/156198
Steve

Post by Steve »

I would take the information in that article with a grain of salt, some of what they said just isnt true. For example, Dullecks fish was released so there is no way that Steve Sammons from Auburn University could confirm that Dullecks fish was indeed an Alabama Bass based on a lateral-line scale count (i.e., number of pored scales along the lateral line). Now, maybe somebody sent Auburn Univ. some other fish out of Bullards and they confirmed that those were Alabama Bass, I dont know. Only way to know for sure is through genetics and finding somebody that can actually do genetics with Alabama Bass is the problem. Its such a new species that, as best I can tell, nobody in this country has the "pure Alabama genetic baseline" to compare samples to, or if they do they dont have confidence in the purity of their baseline Alabama sample.

Ash, you still want a summary and scientific support associated with this whole issue?

Regardless, one way or another these anglers caught world/state records, I dont care if you call it a Spotted Bass or an Alabama Bass. Personally, Id rather have the Alabama Bass world record (which IGFA did make the change, he does have the Alabama Bass world record) because Id be the first to hold the record of a newly established species. That just sound cool!
biteme

Post by biteme »

Steve wrote:I would take the information in that article with a grain of salt, some of what they said just isnt true. For example, Dullecks fish was released so there is no way that Steve Sammons from Auburn University could confirm that Dullecks fish was indeed an Alabama Bass based on a lateral-line scale count (i.e., number of pored scales along the lateral line). Now, maybe somebody sent Auburn Univ. some other fish out of Bullards and they confirmed that those were Alabama Bass, I dont know. Only way to know for sure is through genetics and finding somebody that can actually do genetics with Alabama Bass is the problem. Its such a new species that, as best I can tell, nobody in this country has the "pure Alabama genetic baseline" to compare samples to, or if they do they dont have confidence in the purity of their baseline Alabama sample.

Ash, you still want a summary and scientific support associated with this whole issue?

Regardless, one way or another these anglers caught world/state records, I dont care if you call it a Spotted Bass or an Alabama Bass. Personally, Id rather have the Alabama Bass world record (which IGFA did make the change, he does have the Alabama Bass world record) because Id be the first to hold the record of a newly established species. That just sound cool!
Yes we should discredit Florida stain as well because they eat trout. Pretty much any fish that comes from CA doesnt count. :lol: :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

Biteme, you are looking at this all wrong. This issue has nothing to do with how these non-native bass are treated in CA or what they are eating in CA. Has to do with genetics, the lumpers and splitters in the world (you wont understand that statement ha), and the American Fisheries Society.

And since you brought it up, Florida strain Largemouth will be consider its own species very soon by the American Fisheries Society (its currently a subspecies of Largemouth Bass). Most authors are currently treating Florida strain Largemouth as a separate species, and not surprisingly they are calling it Florida Bass. Should be interesting to see how the people that oversee the record books will deal with that change!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

so your argument is to split the records from Alabama spotted bass vs Kentucky spotted bass? But that’s not what you originally said you said that they aren’t truly spotted bass. So the Alabama spotted bass have genetics like the Florida strain LMB but no one says hey that don’t count. Come on man it’s too beautiful to have cabin fever arguments that take away great accomplishments of others. I’m gonna go fishin now
Links to Check Out -
Steve

Post by Steve »

Several things here Ash. Please read what was written carefully, your interpretation is very off. First, this is not an argument, its simply conveying to this website what decisions fisheries professionals and organizations have made since 2013 as it relates to Spotted Bass and its former subspecies. I did say that the bass in Bullards arent Spotted Bass, in my opinion and apparently that of IGFA they are Alabama Bass as of 2013. Please refer to Baker et al. 2008 in Zootaxa 1861:57-67 for an explanation that you definitely will not understand. You can also refer to American Fisheries Society 2013 Common and Scientific Names of Fishes from the United States, Canada, and Mexico (7th edition) pages 135 and 221.

I did not take away from any of the accomplishments of others, in fact I commended them. I have no idea how you brought Kentucky bass into this thread, that isnt even a species or a subspecies. I think you spend too much time near the natural gas operations in the Delta. Im still trying to figure out how you came up with this statement "So the Alabama spotted bass have genetics like the Florida strain LMB but no one says hey that don’t count" :shock:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Your right steve working side by side professionally supporting biologists and geneticists it must have dumbed me down at least the professionals that i work with have the common courtesy to either explain or provide references to areas that i am not well learned. Condescension to me and biteme is always an interesting tactic i'm sure it has served you well. Instead of just referencing what your drive by statement was in regard to you played it up - congratulations D.B. you win you're the smartasst guy in the room :roll: - again congrats to the current and previous record holders and Ill be fishing for the next three days :lol:
Links to Check Out -
WRB

Post by WRB »

Alambama Spotted bass, micropterus punctulatus henshalli or Alabama Spotted has been recognized for decades, I believe introduced in lake Perris 1971. In-Fisherman article claiming Northern and Alabama Spotted bass are 2 different strains however both have the same sceintific name henshalli.
Nothern Spotted bass, micropterus punctulatus punc or Kentucy Spotted bass I recall were the 1st introduced in Ca 1939 at Fraint Dam location.
After the FLMB introduction in 1959 San Diego City lakes transplanting various bass became popular across the state.
IGFA doesn't recognize largemouth bass or spotted bass records as sperate strains or intergrades.
The debate of what is a pure strain only gets more clouded with modern DNA. We call Florida LMB as pure and intergrades as F1 etc.
There is a debate regarding what is a pure Florida strain and apparently is being applied to Spotted bass records or Spotted bass hybrids.
Authenticating a IGFA bass all tackle world record requires examination by a fishery biologist, certified scale, photo on a measure,witness statements making C & R nearly impossible. Line class records are not as difficult and also requires 100' of line used to catch the fish. Imagine all the record foot notes when DNA is included.
Tom
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Check the State Inland Freshwater Record rules. I had them changed to more align with IGFA. This also makes submitting for a record simplified - i.e. you no longer need to have the fish observed by a CDFG official, just clear pictures for positive ID. AND you have thirty days from date of catch to have scale certified.
Thanks for the work you did on this Kyle!