Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record?

WB Staff

Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record?

Post by WB Staff »

From SDFish...
Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record
Earlier this month, Mike Long, who claims to hold largemouth bass lake records at six of the local reservoirs admitted on his facebook account that he used a photo of a bass not caught by him to substantiate his claim of catching an 18 pound bass at Lake Poway in 2002.
Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record
Upon recent public scrutiny, including photos that surfaced a few years ago of another angler holding the same bass in the same boat, Long now admits that the bass in the photo was not caught by him. The angler who caught the fish, a former friend of his, has said the fish in the photo was 16 pounds, which would have fallen just short of the lake record at the time, 16 pounds 4 ounces.

"For the record many years ago I caught a 18 at Lake Poway and my 35mm film did not capture the bass, and Bill Rice who was the editor at Western Outdoors wanted a picture and I sent him one of me holding my friends bass, and yes that was wrong," Long said on a May 9th post to his Facebook account.

A screenshot of his entire post is posted in the photo gallery below, accompanied by the photo that previously represented the Lake Poway lake record, as well as a photo of the actual angler who caught the bass. That angler has expressed that he did not want to be associated any further with Long or any stories involving him, so his face has been blurred...

http://sdfish.com/freshwater-fishing-ne ... ***-record
mark poulson

Re: Mike Long admits deceit behind bass record?

Post by mark poulson »

A dumb mistake by a younger Mike Long, but it doesn't take away from his overall fishing credibility for me.
If anything, it shows he's man enough to admit to it, and take responsibility for his actions.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
M3AN Bass

Post by M3AN Bass »

mark poulson wrote:A dumb mistake by a younger Mike Long, but it doesn't take away from his overall fishing credibility for me.
If anything, it shows he's man enough to admit to it, and take responsibility for his actions.
Agreed, still a monster bass catching legend.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

What about dropping out of tourneys all together because he refused to take a lie detector test after winning a TOC. Thats pretty standard protocal these days. If his credibility is so good why not just take the test? Integrity is all you can really judge a man on, younger or not he was a grown man. Lying about one thing... a lake record at that, puts a question mark on everything else.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Taking a pic and not have it come out, then using another for a mag. cover. Didn't a lot of names pass fish around for photos awhile back. Is that something thats still going on?

My biggest question would be did he catch the bigger fish. If so and it was just photo for a mag. Thats just bad judgement ,something we all are guilty of at one time or another.

Unless you have more than that. Give the man a pass. He has still caught a lot more big bass than I will ever catch.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

His credibility has gone way down for me. He didn't openly/willingly admit to it(like a man). He was called out on it caught red handed and had no choice but to fess up and deal with the consequence of being caught.

This is NOT the kid who stole the candy bar and felt guilty and returned it. This is a grown man who lied to better his professional fishing career$$$$$$$$.

Makes me wonder where he draws the line when it comes to honesty and integrity.....oh wait, no it dosen't

Too bad.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Rod Martin wrote:Taking a pic and not have it come out, then using another for a mag. cover. Didn't a lot of names pass fish around for photos awhile back. Is that something thats still going on?

My biggest question would be did he catch the bigger fish. If so and it was just photo for a mag. Thats just bad judgement ,something we all are guilty of at one time or another.

Unless you have more than that. Give the man a pass. He has still caught a lot more big bass than I will ever catch.
How bout being called out for mulitple questionable fish or weights? How bout rumors of tanks and storing fish. Or catching fish on one bait then hanging another bait off a fish's face to promote the lure. Oh and why not take the lie detector to stop the rumors and dock talk. Mr. Longs fish catching ability was never called into question by me. But just because he "caught alot more big bass than I ever will", then its all good, a person can do no wrong? I dont know, but there have been many times that his fish have been called into question yet he does nothing or says nothing about it till now. and when he does he admits to lying, but then trys to down play it saying he just took the pic for the magazine. Its all just really fishy when you look at the WHOLE picture, not just todays snapshot
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

..... and then there is the Lake Mission Viejo record fish that "caught" by him? Or, was it more photoshop magic? :?:
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I know my stance on this entire ML deal... and respect is GONE no matter fessing up or not. There is PLENTY of other crap that hasn't been admitted to. I have my bag of popcorn in hand. :lol:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Ceaser wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:Taking a pic and not have it come out, then using another for a mag. cover. Didn't a lot of names pass fish around for photos awhile back. Is that something thats still going on?

1How bout being called out for mulitple questionable fish or weights? How bout rumors of tanks and storing fish. Or2 catching fish on one bait then hanging another bait off a fish's face to promote the lure. Oh and why not take the lie detector to stop the rumors and dock talk. Mr. Longs fish catching ability was never called into question by me. But just because he "caught alot more big bass than I ever will", then its all good,3 a person can do no wrong? I dont know, but there have been many times that his fish have been called into question yet he does nothing or says nothing about it till now. and when he does he admits to lying, but then trys to down play it saying he just took the pic for the magazine. Its all just really fishy when you look at the WHOLE picture, not just todays snapshot
"For the record many years ago I caught a 18 at Lake Poway and my 35mm film did not capture the bass, and Bill Rice who was the editor at Western Outdoors wanted a picture and I sent him one of me holding my friends bass, and yes that was wrong," Long said on a May 9th post to his Facebook account. This is what I commented on. NOT (1) was not in post.
(2) I have seen many fishermen do this over the years,lets just hang all that have from the weekend angler that doesn't want others to know his great bait to Pros that push their baits. Have YOU never done this.
(3) I did not say he could do no wrong, you put words in my mouth. I said I would give him a pass, AS IN SHOW PROOF , which you have not done and I will reconsider.

Last all the other crap in your post was not in the one I commented on. I think I can show that he has caught more big fish than my ONE big fish. So prove the rest then post about it.

anything over 15 is a big fish.
Matt M.

Post by Matt M. »

LOL at anyone who is STILL on this dudes jock! SCUM of the bass community. The age of the GoPro/Cast to catch killed Mike Long. Hmmmm wonder why???!!!
DL

Post by DL »

Who is Mike Long?
"Feel the steel"
bass king

Post by bass king »

fuggin....ROAST.

I still dig my Mike Long jig rod :lol:
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Just curious...how is this going to affect his various endorsement deals; specifically, his relationship with Dobyns Rods?
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Wait until I get done Photoshopping my fish! I admit deceit behind my *ss record after all these years.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Awesome Cornish!!! :shock: :D :shock:
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You musta used an umbrella rig, to catch all of them at once!
CLEAN AND DRY
g-man

Post by g-man »

Who really GAF ? Guys have been takin pics with other peoples fish for years! Same goes for the bait switching for their sponsors/egos. I never heard about the TOC lie detector story or some of the other comments. If that true then that could be a problem. But i don't see any proof of it.

Whos Mike Long (I know of him and his catches), who really GAF? Hes a fisherman BIG F'n deal Never really been a fan of any fisherman, I could care less. It has always cracked me up with these guys and their Jersey jobber wearing, I'm better then you ego drivin BS! Its fishing, and being a good fisherman don't mean chit as far as the real world is concerned! :D
100% LL
Mike

Post by Mike »

A's Swept the Angels..... Just Sayin' :lol:
OG on WB since 1993
g-man

Post by g-man »

Mike wrote:A's Swept the Angels..... Just Sayin' :lol:

:evil: I stopped Texting you after game one! :evil:
100% LL
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

They cheated....they scored more runs.
CLEAN AND DRY
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

mark poulson wrote:
They cheated....they scored more runs.
Nah.. they photoshopped the scoreboard
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Hahaha!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
BIG L

Post by BIG L »

Now we have 2 MIKES that have admitted deceit or cheating in the last few years, the other one you never hear about.
Larry Reed Hatched 1944
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Go Kings!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

California, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't keep a list or validate lake records, only state or world records. If Mike wants to claim 6 or 16 lakes records who cares? Using a photo of John's bass is cheating when published as a fact and I can see why his is ticked off. Now everything Mike accomplished is tainted, was it worth it to have an unofficial lake record just to boost your ego or was it endorsements?
Tom
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Makes me wonder why his fishing buddy just NOW decided that this was wrong? That magazine picture was from 2002? A little late for either one of them to take the high road if you ask me. I'm sure there is a lot more to it then meets the eye.

Sad to see VERY successful anglers true colors show though this way.

Competing in tournaments becomes less and less appealing every time I read a story like this. Lots of people out there cheat to succeed.
jg

Post by jg »

How does his using a picture to claim a lake record have anything to do with tournament fishing?
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

jg wrote:How does his using a picture to claim a lake record have anything to do with tournament fishing?

Well jg, to me it shows his lack of character, and the simple fact that he is not afraid to LIE to better himself.

You think someone who lies about a lake record is willing to cheat to win a tournament?....I do!

I believe he has also had a successful tournament fishing career....makes me go hmmmmmmm?

Not everyone has the same morals and values.

Look at Mike Hart a couple years ago, on paper he and his team partners were absolute studs on the water! AOY, tournament wins, cashed a lot of checks, how is he so good?.....Then he got caught cheating....i'm sure that was the first and only time right? hahaha! Dream on...he STOLE a lot of peoples money.

Food for thought.......think what ya want!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Champion Jon wrote:
jg wrote:How does his using a picture to claim a lake record have anything to do with tournament fishing?

Well jg, to me it shows his lack of character, and the simple fact that he is not afraid to LIE to better himself.

You think someone who lies about a lake record is willing to cheat to win a tournament?....I do!

I believe he has also had a successful tournament fishing career....makes me go hmmmmmmm?

Not everyone has the same morals and values.

Look at Mike Hart a couple years ago, on paper he and his team partners were absolute studs on the water! AOY, tournament wins, cashed a lot of checks, how is he so good?.....Then he got caught cheating....i'm sure that was the first and only time right? hahaha! Dream on...he STOLE a lot of peoples money.

Food for thought.......think what ya want!

Did he lie about the lake record OR as I read the article have a picture not come out and took another one with another fish , since he had released the record fish. to be put in a mag. ? If it was a film camera, it would have had to be after he found out he picture did not come out.

I have watched this thread wondering if I am reading it wrong or is most others not looking at what is in the article.

Just asking ?
jg

Post by jg »

I did not know he fished regular tournaments. I thought he just played the big fish game.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Did he lie about the lake record OR as I read the article have a picture not come out and took another one with another fish , since he had released the record fish. to be put in a mag. ? If it was a film camera, it would have had to be after he found out he picture did not come out.

I have watched this thread wondering if I am reading it wrong or is most others not looking at what is in the article.

Just asking ?[/quote]

Rod,

He took the pic holding his buddies fish the day it was caught and then LATER claimed THAT SAME fish his buddy caught was HIS on a later date and 2lbs bigger to have a record.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

elfish16 wrote:Did he lie about the lake record OR as I read the article have a picture not come out and took another one with another fish , since he had released the record fish. to be put in a mag. ? If it was a film camera, it would have had to be after he found out he picture did not come out.

Just asking ?

Rod,

He took the pic holding his buddies fish the day it was caught and then LATER claimed THAT SAME fish his buddy caught was HIS on a later date and 2lbs bigger to have a record.[/quote]

I'm confused.
He claimed to have caught a lake record fish, but the pictures of it didn't come out, so he took one holding his buddy's smaller fish.
Did he try and use his buddy's fish to claim a lake record, or did he just send the picture of the buddy's fish in to WON, and misrepresent it as his lake record fish?
If he tried to use the buddy's fish to claim a lake record, that's dishonest.
If he sent in the picture to WON and said it was his record fish, when it wasn't, that's just dumb.
CLEAN AND DRY
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Can't go to a hardware store for a new reputation. :shock: I always wondered about Mike not fishing Cervenka's premiere big fish circuit at Casita's. He was fried en abstencia in the rumor mill that day. I always figured he had talent way beyond my comprehension...he still does I just won't be drinking anymore of the Kool aid....Where's that popcorn? :mrgreen:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
bass king

Post by bass king »

I prefer a pinch of sea salt on my popcorn.

:oops:
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I understand why Mike would pass on Ron's tournament, why get in line at Anglers Marine when an invite should have been offered, I felt the same resentment. Mikes credentials were not in question until he made up the false photo to support a BS lake record that few cares about anyway.
Where is Ron's tournament today........gone, along with the giant bass population.
Tom
Kiss my Bass

Post by Kiss my Bass »

Greg awesome post!

Oh there are some huge bass still in SoCal and NorCal for that matter.

Sad to hear of a legend making a mistake like that. Does make one wonder how many mistakes there really are.

kiss my bass
Walker Mark

Post by Walker Mark »

I guess this is why it's a hot topic today. Here is the last nail to close the coffin
jbarron

Post by jbarron »

I guess it's like now that everyone has a camera with them all the time we haven't seen an pictures of UFO's or....any of his fish?
ATF should be a convenience store not a government agency
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

This dude is a pure “Scumbag” !.... I remember seeing him at the “Bassathon” years ago ‘ signing autographs ! I didn’t even bother !.... he needs to crawl under a rock somewhere ‘ & disappear !.... unfortunately if you have a conversation with a “non fishing” person ‘ about tournament fishing ! there first question is often “ isn’t there a lot of cheating going on” ! ....sad” really sad ....
WRB

Post by WRB »

Mike must be extremely stressed and trying desperately to catch giant bass to stay a top trophy as bass angler. He is losing whatever credibility he earned and is giving all the naysayers a plateform to attack giant bass anglers.
Sad to see anyone cheat by snagging bass with a weighted treble hook.
Tom
bass king

Post by bass king »

milehi

Post by milehi »

When I saw the video, part of which seemed a little odd, I picked up Sowbelly & reread the chapter on him, no doubt has it in him. Was curious, the author talks about a meeting in'99 with 7 big bass guys, Long was the youngster. Tom, were you there?
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

The nine page article by the videographer is pretty damning. I'm in the Bay Area and don't know squat about the San Diego anglers, but there's a lot of people named that sound like they would be known in the fishing community and they all think he's dirty.

The article is pretty compelling. From the biologists at the lakes, tournament partners, and failed polygraphs. The fact that many of his wins and high finishes were when he competed without a partner in team events. Sounds like he fished with some really good sticks, but excelled when he was alone on the boat.

The article is worth a read.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

sdfish.com site is down right now. I wonder why?
zmyers
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

Just read the article. Very extensive.

Great read check it out:
https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret- ... mike-long/
offduty

Post by offduty »

Somebody spent a lot of time interviewing his past partners and lake officials to write this article. I never knew he was banned from those tournament circuits. I don't think he will ever recover from this with past tournament partners giving the interviewer information like this, and storing big bass in his garage. I lost all respect for the guy after reading this, everyone he has fished with in tournaments said he cheats.
Rich
ILW

Post by ILW »

Anyone else notice that there is no more Mike Long OUtdoors facebook page as of this afternoon. or istagram or yt?
WRB

Re: Mike Long admits deceit behind bass re

Post by WRB »

milehi wrote:When I saw the video, part of which seemed a little odd, I picked up Sowbelly & reread the chapter on him, no doubt has it in him. Was curious, the author talks about a meeting in'99 with 7 big bass guys, Long was the youngster. Tom, were you there?
I corresponded with Monte Burke, sent him a few photos never sat down with a face to face chat.
The statement the whale that surfaces gets harpooned applies to trophy bass anglers, it's better to stay under the radar. Mike was self promoting himself and it appears he crossed over to the dark side.
Tom
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

WOW......The only thing he was a master at was duping the bass community for so long. By the looks of the video he wasn't even good at snagging fish. I'm surprised it took this long to expose this fraud.