Mexico Fishing El Salto Vs Lake Baccarac

Ken Webb

Mexico Fishing El Salto Vs Lake Baccarac

Post by Ken Webb »

Hey Fellas,

I am sure this has been talked about several times, but which lake is better overall? Is it worth going in July? I have a paid vacation from work and I have to book something soon.

Any input is appreciated.

Kenny Webb
monte300

Re: Mexico Fishing El Salto Vs Lake Baccarac

Post by monte300 »

Hey Kenny I fished Baccarac around 20 years ago and even though we caught a lot of fish, we only hooked one giant in about 25 feet that proceeded to wrap me around a limb and broke me off. At that time Baccarac was considered past it's prime. Unless things have changed my best guess is that Salto is a better bet. We went during the winter and I can tell you July in Mexico will be sweltering hot.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Summner is hot in Mexico. We always went in winter. But if you can survive the heat I would do Baccarac.

It has been a while since I have been there but I did 2 trips to El Salto and 2 to Baccarac, Baccarac was best hands down.
Far as catching big fish. It still depends on how good you are. I caught nice fish but one of the guys I consider a better fisherman than me had 5 over 10 in one day .

I went with Ron Speed to El Salto and with Lake Baccarac lodge on it.

Either way good luck and good fishing
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Mexican lakes are totally opposite of our lakes. Here we need the water to warm up in spring for fish to spawn in Mexico the water cools down to 62 degrees sometime in the winter. The only bass I’ve ever caught that were stronger than Delta fish were the Lake Baccarac fish I hear it’s because the water never gets cold so the fish actively feed all year long.
milehi

Post by milehi »

Lotta cool fish out there you can get on bass gear, reds in louisana, peacocks in florida
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

I'd go over to Texas Fishing Forum, sign up, and ask them. A lot of those guys go 2 or 3 times a year. Do a search while there, see what's already recently been reported. I've been to Salto, want to hit Baccarat now. Yeah, it's hot, but so it the FISHING! :lol:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

my brother likes to fish for tuna and marlin in the gulf of Mexico and he says when the weather is hot so is the fishing. Does this hold true for Mexican bass?
george

Post by george »

Went to El Salto and It was pretty outstanding as I literally wore out several buzz baits and spooks! It does get hot there in October when I went and I was told the best time to be there is Oct through Feb because it is too hot during the spring and summer.
I have never been to Baccarac but from talking to buddies of mine they all preferred El Salto due to the quality as well as quantity!
I averaged four pounds per fish on the Persuader buzz bait and the Zara Spook and probably caught fifty fish on each one with a few fives and sixes thrown in.
We caught our biggest fish on jigs ( Mine 10.8 Denny Brauer Strike King Black/Blue with Yamamoto twin tail trailer) and Zoom Green Pumpkin Black Flake lizards on Carolina rigs later in the days!

I would say go to El Salto but make sure you stay hydrated while on the water during the heat of the day!

George

Ron Speed Adventures seems to always take care their clients, give me a call if you want my contact there!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Book a trip in November and check the water levels. Baccarac has a better big bass population between 8 lbs to 12 lbs today then El Salto. Baccarac Lodge is the place to stay at.
Tom
monte300

Post by monte300 »

WRB wrote:Book a trip in November and check the water levels. Baccarac has a better big bass population between 8 lbs to 12 lbs today then El Salto. Baccarac Lodge is the place to stay at.
Tom
Ity's been so long I forget what lodge I stayed? I do remember staying in the 300 year old town of Baccaburrito about a 15 minute suburban ride from the lake.