New species for me!

TRIXGOTAFISH

New species for me!

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Got my son out again for a few hours yesterday morning on the delta launched out of Russo’s and totally forgot about the charity event going on luckily launched right after they blasted off lol made it a point to get off before all the boats showed back up!

Fished the central delta and DAMN talk about pressure at one point I counted 6 boats in one area

Anyway we didn’t catch much of anything to speak of a few dink then I got a BIG topwater blowup on a Rover and was sure it was a good 3-4lb LMB it fought for a sec then nothing ??? My son nets it and we both say what is that lol

My first experience with what I guess was called a squawfish but is now termed a pike minnow but please correct me if I’m wrong

Sorry crappy screen shot for reviewing go pro footage

Shoot out to Jason B for the event and to Travis H good to chat with both of you and thanks again Travis for keeping an eye on my son Logan again!
Attachments
IMG-0201.JPG
IMG-0200.JPG
mark poulson

Re: New species for me!

Post by mark poulson »

Congrats! They are fun to catch.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Richard - Sonora

Mother Lode Lakes Have Squawfish...........

Post by Richard - Sonora »

and I and my partners have caught 'em in Pedro, Melones and Tulloch. The examples in your Delta fotos look enuff' different to me that I would doubt they are the same species. Any fisheries biologists care to chime in?
Richard - Sonora
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

That's definitely a squaw fish, I've caught them at Melones and pardee and the Delta lots of times.
MT

Post by MT »

Seeing more and more of these on the Delta the last few years.