7/27/19 - Delta report

ElGuapo

7/27/19 - Delta report

Post by ElGuapo »

Launched out of Russo's just after 6AM. Water temps in the low 70's, 2-4' visibility. Water temps topped out at 77 degrees, air temp 101. Ran up to the north end of Franks and through a sammy and plopper. Got bites and blow ups but no quality fish. At 10AM ran around and found a spot with healthy grass. With all the spraying the state has been doing this has become a rarity. Immediately started getting bites on the punch rig. Ran out to another spot further east where there had previously been healthy grass only to find it had been sprayed as well. Pulled a quality fish out a decaying clump of hydrilla, punched some floating vegetation for a while then ran back to the previous spot for another round. The fish had reloaded and we caught a few more punching the same spot. At that point I was starting to get dizzy from the heat and ran back to Russo's. Highlights here:

How's everyone else catching 'em?
mark poulson

Re: 7/27/19 - Delta report

Post by mark poulson »

Good to see you back at it.
They nuked Sandmound last week, and it killed everything, including any tules that got in the way.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

mark poulson wrote:Good to see you back at it.
They nuked Sandmound last week, and it killed everything, including any tules that got in the way.
Thanks Mark, hope you've been well!

Yeah I went down there a week back and it looked like they sprayed only one side in some places. But over all it can't be helpful for fishing.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ElGuapo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Good to see you back at it.
Thanks Mark, hope you've been well!

Yeah I went down there a week back and it looked like they sprayed only one side in some places. But over all it can't be helpful for fishing.
The sprayed the island side of the slough. It's all brown and dead now, including the tules they hit when they were spraying. It looks like they're using a different chemical, because it turns everything brown and dead immediately.
I don't know how to attach a picture here, but I have them. It's bad.
CLEAN AND DRY
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

That really sucks. Without grass and cover the sea lions will return to eat the bass again.
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Thanks for the report i too noticed the brown dead vegetation out in Sandmound what seemed to be a couple weeks back bummed to hear it's even more now!

I'm assuming it's because i remember small lanes that i could get my boat through last year are now clogged up but maybe it's just my experience.

Guess i'll fish other areas lol
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

TRIXGOTAFISH wrote:Thanks for the report i too noticed the brown dead vegetation out in Sandmound what seemed to be a couple weeks back bummed to hear it's even more now!

I'm assuming it's because i remember small lanes that i could get my boat through last year are now clogged up but maybe it's just my experience.

Hope you have better luck than me. I've been running around trying to find healthy grass all summer and have only found patches here and there. They're spraying grass (hydrilla or whatever we call it out here) and floating vegetation like hyacinth. :-(
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

ElGuapo wrote:
TRIXGOTAFISH wrote:Thanks for the report i too noticed the brown dead vegetation out in Sandmound what seemed to be a couple weeks back bummed to hear it's even more now!

Hope you have better luck than me. I've been running around trying to find healthy grass all summer and have only found patches here and there. They're spraying grass (hydrilla or whatever we call it out here) and floating vegetation like hyacinth. :-(
Thanks i need it lol!

If i get out tomorrow i'll report back....
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ElGuapo wrote:

I read that they were treating Taylor with Diquat two weeks ago. How does the grass in there look?
CLEAN AND DRY
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I haven't been back there since the Spring and back then there was a fair amount of algae mixed in with the grass. But I heard some giants were pulled out of there. Saw picture proof!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ElGuapo wrote:I haven't been back there since the Spring and back then there was a fair amount of algae mixed in with the grass. But I heard some giants were pulled out of there. Saw picture proof!
I did well back there in the spring, too, but the last time I was there, in late June, it was really tough.
CLEAN AND DRY