Side with the environment or with Trump

WB Staff

Side with the environment or with Trump

Post by WB Staff »

Side with the environment or with Trump.png
Gov. Gavin Newsom faces thorny challenges as he seeks to balance water use between cities and farms, without destroying Central Valley rivers and wildlife.

Some water decisions are on the horizon, others are here now. At the center are the state’s salmon runs, whose protection supports healthy rivers and the Bay Delta ecosystem.

The Trump administration, under Interior Secretary David Bernhardt, is finalizing plans to rip up restrictions on diverting Northern California water to its friends in the agricultural industry in the dry western San Joaquin Valley.

Trump also claims state environmental laws don’t apply to the federal Central Valley Project, which delivers water from the Delta to farmers to the south. That’s a threat to the State Water Project, which provides water to some farms and the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. If the feds jack up water diversions, the state could be forced to ratchet back its draw on the Delta.

If the state doesn’t, wildlife populations will crash, fishing jobs will be lost and toxic blue green algae blooms will likely sweep through the Delta.

Read it all: https://calmatters.org/commentary/california-water-2/
mark poulson

Re: Side with the environment or with Trump

Post by mark poulson »

The Feds are trying to steal the State's water for the San Joaquin farmers.
"The state can stop this water grab by adopting SB 1. Without that legislation, there is a good chance Gov. Newsom will see extinctions during his tenure."
Put pressure on your State elected officials to back SB 1.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

I trust Newsom less then Trump and don't trust Trump any further then I can thorough him, It's a catch 22.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:I trust Newsom less then Trump and don't trust Trump any further then I can thorough him, It's a catch 22.
Tom
If Newsom signs SB 1 he's one up, as far as the CA Delta is concerned.
CLEAN AND DRY
hydro

Post by hydro »

Attempts to dilute the protections originally written into the laws that created the Central Valley Project began long , long, before Trump's tenure . As originally written only excess runoff was supposed to be pumped south and if the "Closely Monitored " Delta ecosystem or wildlife began to suffer from taking too much water then water delivery was supposed to be curtailed . Nancy Pelosi , Dianne Feinstein , Barbara Boxer , Jerry Brown (among many others ) are responsible for the erosion of the Delta protections from over pumping . It might be fashionable today for some to blame Trump but there is much more blame to go around on the current situation starting with state lawmakers , agri-business lobbyists and Governors going back decades .
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

hydro wrote:Attempts to dilute the protections originally written into the laws that created the Central Valley Project began long , long, before Trump's tenure . As originally written only excess runoff was supposed to be pumped south and if the "Closely Monitored " Delta ecosystem or wildlife began to suffer from taking too much water then water delivery was supposed to be curtailed . Nancy Pelosi , Dianne Feinstein , Barbara Boxer , Jerry Brown (among many others ) are responsible for the erosion of the Delta protections from over pumping . It might be fashionable today for some to blame Trump but there is much more blame to go around on the current situation starting with state lawmakers , agri-business lobbyists and Governors going back decades .
It is Trump's people who are rewriting the water protections to allow more water for the San Joaquin Valley farmers, so he is responsible.
And now Gov. Newsom is saying he'll veto SB 1, so he's bending over and backing up to Trump and his buddies.
It stinks, bigtime.
CLEAN AND DRY
not4un

Post by not4un »

I trust CA government about as much as I trust a wet fart.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

not4un wrote:I trust CA government about as much as I trust a wet fart.
Well, Newsom and Trump are now teammates. What does that say about both of them?
CLEAN AND DRY