Back to the Basics

ttb31183

Back to the Basics

Post by ttb31183 »

I made a solo trip to Newman Lake yesterday and while I didn't light them up, it was a fun experience. I am in between boats right now and my cousin is away to college, so I have use of his aluminum boat. It's a much different vessel than the bass boat I had and it really made me go back to the basics and how I started out fishing without the modern technologies I am so reliant on now.

Instead of having two 12" Lowrance units with Navionics cards, I had one small unit to look at. It reads the depth and temperature and I actually only turned it on when I started...just to see if it worked. Instead of watching my graphs all day, I just went fishing and had fun. It was an interesting change from how I normally fish.

Another big difference was the size of the engine. I went from a 225hp to a 40hp and I also lost about 60lb thrust in the trolling motor. But, you know what? I still caught fish.

I never caught a "picture worthy" bass, but had quite a few one to two pound fish on a variety of baits. I caught them on Ned Rigs, crankbaits, a ChatterBait, and a football jig. My best success was by pitching a jig to big, long community docks with several slips on them. Like the one shown. I still had my Navionics app handy just to look. I couldn't completely check out on technology.

Tyler Brinks
Scott Robertson

Re: Back to the Basics

Post by Scott Robertson »

when I get stressed I only look at the unit for depth and go back to finding fish the way we used to.
a lot to be said for gut feeling versus new electronics
good luck.
scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open