Anyone know what the heck this is?

Share vehicle info.
d75bender

Anyone know what the heck this is?

Post by d75bender »

So I bought my boat in August and my boat was basically stored in his garage for the last 10 years with just occasional use. He mentioned the gas in the auxiliary tank hadn't been used in over 10 years so I bought a siphon kit and started to siphon out the gas. When it was done I pulled the tube out and it was covered in this orange sticky goo. No way am I ever going to use the tank now but does anyone have any idea what this is?
Attachments
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
srsnow

Re: Anyone know what the heck this is?

Post by srsnow »

My guess would be the gas has basically turned to varnish. If it was stored for ten years especially with no stabilizers in it that is most likely what happened.
d75bender

Post by d75bender »

Thanks for the input, do you think the tank is ruined? The auxiliary tank is under the bench seat so I may remove it, install captains chairs that flip up and turn that area into more storage space. The guy I bought it from said it was full at one point and hadn't used that tank again, when I siphoned it out I thought I would get 15 gallons out and only got 6 gallons out.
srsnow

Post by srsnow »

I am not sure, I know with cars people will have them cleaned and can re use them, I assume the same is true for boats.