Punch baits & color??

Bruce Theriot

Punch baits & color??

Post by Bruce Theriot »

What baits and colors would you recommend for someone just getting started in punching the delta? Thanks for your input.
kmah

Re: Punch baits & color??

Post by kmah »

Bruce Theriot wrote:What baits and colors would you recommend for someone just getting started in punching the delta? Thanks for your input.
Keep it very Very simple. If you are just starting you cannot go wrong with green pumpkin, green pumpkin with a little red.

The water is fairly clear this year and this matches the water well. Build confidence 1st before you start getting more advanced. You can start confusing yourself before you get the basics down.

Good luck
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Any craw or bug style flip/punch baits.
California 420 (watermelon or green pumpkin red flake)
Green pumpkin
Black w/ red flake
Sprayed or candy grass
Black blue
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Any color works as long as its green pumpkin! I throw lighter weights because the big ones will hold on to a 3/4oz a lot longer than they will a 2oz weight. And try to be sneaky. My last 3 solo trips to the Delta have all produced 8+ lbers because I was able to be real quiet and make the right casts. Be ready to put the hours in picking apart unproductive water until you start to put the pieces together. It took me a long time before I started catching good ones consistently punching.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Ish is on his way home to the Delta as we speak. He checked in with this info on the question...

Candy Grass! Wait there is another color Candy Grass!
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

[quote="WB Staff"]Ish is on his way home to the Delta as we speak. He checked in with this info on the question...

Candy Grass! Wait there is another color Candy Grass![/quote]

I saw his video with Jared and he was throwing Candy Grass. Thanks Ish.
Drakestar

Post by Drakestar »

Bruce Theriot wrote: Candy Grass! Wait there is another color Candy Grass!

I saw his video with Jared and he was throwing Candy Grass. Thanks Ish.
Bluegill colors like "watermelon candy", "moved grass", "smoke purple blue watermelon laminate" (yeah, that's an actual senko color) or simple green pumpkin with blue flake are super productive for me this time of year in fisheries where pre-spawn bass feed on bluegill. Not sure if the delta qualifies, but apparently it does :) I switch to red flake after the spawn.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Truthfully I'm not sure it matters to the fish. This is almost always a reaction bite anyway. Just think with a heavy weight how fast that bait goes by them. I stay simple, Green Pumpkin and June Bug. I think it matters more to the angler than it does the fish. So throw your favorite. My 2 cents.
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

Thanks to all that have replied. It is much appreciated. Sounds like GP is a must have!
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Sour Grape is another good color to have for punching or jig fishing.
Colors are
Brown/Junebug/Pumpkin/green & black/pepper flake. A good choice for color in trailers Sprayed Grass.
I like using Yamamoto 5" twin tail grubs in 301 Green pumpkin w/lg
green/purple flake
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Baits: Sweet beaver, Superhog, missile baits d-bomb, or something similar. None of these baits have curled tails so they slip through cover more easily.

I agree with what Chad Sweitzer stated before, 3/4 will get more bites; however, you may need more weight to get through the canopy and at the end of the day you should be able to feel a straight braid bite whether its 3/4 or 2 oz.

Color: what matches. Pick your favorite black, brown, green, and purple and or a mix and you'll get bit. Presentation trumps color by far.

tight lines,
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

JoeLanghans wrote:Any craw or bug style flip/punch baits.
California 420 (watermelon or green pumpkin red flake)
Green pumpkin
Black w/ red flake
Sprayed or candy grass
Black blue
That's it really - this is my color rotation but typically dont get past a watermelon or pumpkin red or sprayed grass - every now and then the focus on black red or black blue but day in and out the greens are winners.

The Berkeley Pit Boss, Power Hawg and Creature Hawg make up my rotation along with a double wide beaver in junebug or Yamamoto Flappin hawg 5" orange green.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/