New Melones

machadobass

New Melones

Post by machadobass »

With all the extreme pressure on this Lake this year, what do you all think the adverse results will be. I fished this late for many many years and it’s had its ups and downs. The one thing it hasn’t had is this extreme amount of fishing pressure. With the Spawn starting I’m concerned it will get raped even more. The big fish aren’t here like they used to be and I would hate to see it turn into another McClure.
Whoopbass

Re: New Melones

Post by Whoopbass »

Yes its going to hurt the lake. For me fishing hasn't been the same there since the first Wild West tournament last year.
Ideally they would have never closed any of the lakes but since they have closed most of them down they might as well close em all down. I think the big fish are still there they just got a lot more finicky.
ZacktheWop

Post by ZacktheWop »

With Calaveras county putting the nix on any recreational boating or guided fishing trips Melones should see a lift on the pressure.
Fidlplr

Post by Fidlplr »

NOOOOOO don’t close it. We need a place to fish, stay in practice and stay sane.
Jwbassin505

Post by Jwbassin505 »

I heard they’re closing Melones tonight about time the fish get a break
Trace

Post by Trace »

Wow!
Last edited by Trace on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 392 »

Went there this afternoon and didn’t come within 30’ of anyone, how is this a bad thing, it is the best example of social distancing. You go to the supermarket and you are 10x more exposed to others. What a joke, there is no common sense with these decisions, but what am I saying we live in California where there is no common sense!
Keith Rakoncza

Post by Keith Rakoncza »

Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Um we do still live in the good old USA right? That order reads like something out of the Soviet Union.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

This Calaveras County Order is brutal.
Outdoor gathering of 2 or more persons, other than family members / Banned
See Item 5-J (page 3) Recreational Boating / Ordered Stopped
The Delta may be the last body of water open.
Patriot One

Post by Patriot One »

In response to the original post.
The large fish population in Melones and Pedro have been in decline for several years.
Its rare for Melones, a lake that was full of 6 plus pound spotted bass, for a 4 or 5 pounder to be caught.
Pedro that was full of double digit largemouth, for a 7 or 8 pounder to be caught.
Are there still some giants left in those lakes? Sure but not much meat left on the bone.
Great fishing brings lots of fishing pressure, that's the way it goes. But you are right the last couple of years the pressure has been tremendous to say the least. On clear water reservoirs with not many places for the fish to hide during spawning season, fish numbers will suffer. Maybe its time to block off spawning coves. Could be to little to late, but it couldn't hurt.
bshort

Post by bshort »

Trace wrote:Wow!
I never thought I would see people on this fishing site wanting to see our right to fish taken away. I guess what people say about us in CA is true. I need to fish. STOP it!
A "right" to fish? Wish that was true, so I wouldn't need to purchase a license every year.
Trace

Post by Trace »

Dang word lawyers. Right, opportunity, or privilege either way it is now gone, taken, or never was. Great arguments.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Thank you Patriot One. Seems like we got off my original post. I wish everyone could fish and We had 100 more lakes to fish. We don’t. Hopefully we can take care of what we do have.

Post by 392 »

I don’t think it’s fishing pressure during the spawn as much as it is the people in control of the lake levels hurting the numbers. I’ve seen spawning bass with their backs literally out of the water trying to stay on the bed as the lake is being drawn down during the spawn for various reasons. I wish they would stabilize the lakes as much as possible during the spawn. Just my 2 cents
Jwbassin505

Post by Jwbassin505 »

I’m curious to see how fishing is next year after the closures maybe it will open some eyes on how much damage fishing during the spawn actually causes and we can’t control water levels but we can control ourselves as fishermen
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Absolutely agree to what you’re saying about the water levels!
woodistic

Post by woodistic »

Water levels definitely play a role , but this is unavoidable. The main culprit and many may view this as unpopular, but the number of tournaments and derby's that take place at the mother-load lakes(every weekend, multiple)has become ridiculous. Especially this time of year, pulling fish off beds and moving fish all over the lake is a problem. These big federations moving through lakes especially on back to back weekends really hampers the fishing for the majority of anglers out there, and for what?, 1500$. They should really look at doing something similar to mlf/or the method used by Kayak clubs. This would go along way preserving the experience for everyone.
not4un

Post by not4un »

Listen to Gene Gilliand on BTL podcast, he is B.A.S.S Conservation Director. He talked about this topic of not fishing during the spawn. He says it will not make a difference to the spawn fishing or not fishing.
not4un

Post by not4un »

woodistic wrote:Water levels definitely play a role , but this is unavoidable. The main culprit and many may view this as unpopular, but the number of tournaments and derby's that take place at the mother-load lakes(every weekend, multiple)has become ridiculous. Especially this time of year, pulling fish off beds and moving fish all over the lake is a problem. These big federations moving through lakes especially on back to back weekends really hampers the fishing for the majority of anglers out there, and for what?, 1500$. They should really look at doing something similar to mlf/or the method used by Kayak clubs. This would go along way preserving the experience for everyone.

The fishing pressure at our lakes is not even a drop in the bucket compared to Lakes like Sam Rayburn and some of other lakes in TX and those lakes continue to produce numbers and huge bass. Texas Parks and Wildlife department does a way better job than California does for their lakes than CA does for bass.
RMANZO

Post by RMANZO »

The fishing pressure at our lakes is not even a drop in the bucket compared to Lakes like Sam Rayburn and some of other lakes in TX and those lakes continue to produce numbers and huge bass. Texas Parks and Wildlife department does a way better job than California does for their lakes than CA does for bass.

You hit it on the head. Ca. Fish & Game does “nothing” to help our resources. Could you imagine if they got off their arses and took notes from Texas ? Cali would then again be a trophy state
“BOOK IT”
offthehookbassadventures.com
Facebook OFF THE HOOK BASS ADVENTURES
Instagram Robert Mansor
Patriot One

Post by Patriot One »

Sam Rayburn Reservoir has water fluctuations seasonally and yearly, but because of all the submerged aquatic vegetation, standing timber, flooded terrestrial vegetation, coon tail, pond weed, a ton of hydrilla, and stained water. So that's really a bad comparison to Melones and Pedro which are both clearwater Reservoirs with little cover, that actually supports why bed fishing has a bigger impact on our fish then theirs.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Melones still getting pounded! Serious people, give this Lake a break.
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Melones still getting hammered! Sirius Lee, give it a break.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

:D April fools
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

Yes they are!
woodistic

Post by woodistic »

Tuttletown launch is still open, they just closed Calaveras not the State of Jefferson side :D
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

woodistic wrote:Tuttletown launch is still open, they just closed Calaveras not the State of Jefferson side :D
Interesting: The North "side" of Melones is in Calaveras County. The South "side" in Tuolomne County.
Calaveras County has suspended all recreational boating ...... what County is the water in ?
woodistic

Post by woodistic »

MichaelB wrote:
woodistic wrote:Tuttletown launch is still open, they just closed Calaveras not the State of Jefferson side :D
Interesting: The North "side" of Melones is in Calaveras County. The South "side" in Tuolomne County.
Calaveras County has suspended all recreational boating ...... what County is the water in ?

Well I think one could argue that if your on the water from a legally open access point there is little anyone can do. I was up there Tuesday and talked to a Warden, when trailering my boat...he just asked if the bite has picked up from last week.
fastfiat

Post by fastfiat »

Tuttletown is closed starting tomorrow. Fished today and there was a sign posted at the top of the ramp when i loaded. Also had barriers ready at hwy49.
basscat18

Post by basscat18 »

From Melones web site
UPDATE 4/3/2020: Beginning April 4, all facilities are temporarily closed to the public until further notice. This includes the Visitor Center, Administration office, campgrounds, trails and all day-use and boat launching facilities.
Richard - Sonora

There Is No Such Place As The Mother LOAD...

Post by Richard - Sonora »

edited
scott39

Post by scott39 »

I have been on Melones every weekend since the Wild West. Last Sunday it was a ghost town. Yesterday it was pretty packed and it fished better yesterday than it has been. Last year it took 20 plus to win almost every Major tournament at Pedro. Melones had a couple of 30 plus bags. The year before that Pedro was putting out 30 plus bags. This year the weather has been crazy. The lakes are fine. Been fishing them for 35 years I've seen many ups and downs. I do believe the water fluctuation plays a huge role.
Dobyns Rods
Jwbassin505

Post by Jwbassin505 »

I’m not sure about the water fluctuations having a huge impact on the spawning since the delta has 2 high tides and 2 low tides that all so has a different levels on each tide daily but places like the delta the fish do have endless amounts of places to hide compared to lakes like Melones that has zero places for fish to hide with water fluctuations of about 6inches a day that has endless bed fishing tournaments which one is the real problem?
Jwbassin505

Post by Jwbassin505 »

What are the tournament weights this year? My point exactly!!!!
woodistic

Post by woodistic »

Jwbassin505 wrote:What are the tournament weights this year? My point exactly!!!!
Ding...Ding...

This argument reminds me a lot of our current political atmosphere. The "left" = tournament anglers who will refuse to believe this is a possibility and the "right" everyone else = those who are taking the common sense approach to this topic. I have a print out of all the tournaments that were to take place from last September-September for lake Don Pedro, that a park ranger let me take a pic of so I could plan my recreational fishing around these 150 boat derbies. Every weekend that lake hosts 2-3 tournaments depending on size. The only break that lake gets from this kind of pressure is in the middle of summer. So 7-9 months a year "every weekend, both days" this lake is being pillage for the best 5 fish sack. One cannot deny the production decrease and tournament results, the science data is there if you actually choose to look at it. I'm not trying to bash anyone, but for these guys in denial, getting butt hurt when scientific and common sense disproves their realities just remember....facts don't care about your feelings <<<<<<<sound familiar?
machadobass

Post by machadobass »

I concur!
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Agree. I hate the fishing pressure. 20 years ago you could go to Pedro, Melones or Mclure on a Friday and would only be a couple of boats on the lake Now if you want some privacy you have to take Tuesday or Wednesday off work. I do not believe that 2 - 3 tournaments every weekend is good for the lakes. I myself have only been tournament fishing for the last few years. But still I think they are handling it well. Long haul who knows? As for the question about the weights this year. The weather I believe has played a big part. But if you look at New Jen and ABA they had some good weights. The others not so much. Some of the teams in ABA and New Jen cannot fish the other orgs but have in the past couple of years. Time on the water is huge. You can"t set on your couch and ask questions on social media about how to catch A Largie. Also take a few spots home and fry them up, make some ceviche or fish tacos. They are delicious. That will also help. Just my opinion. Tight Lines!
Dobyns Rods
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

The fish are there. Plenty of them. Everyone is looking for an excuse why they can not catch them. I have heard them all.
Same thing in the delta. Seals , pressure, the spraying, the pellets. One excuse after another.
Mean while some anglers continue to sack em up big. The fish bury in deep weeds making them hard to get.
The biggest problem on the lakes are the water exports. Yes it might effect the spawn slightly.
The biggest factor is the bass Suspend when water levels drop. The average angler does not know how to adapt to or use their electronics to catch these suspending fish.
Most guys do not have the first idea how sonar works
It does not take much to figure out that bed fishing is not helping. It is dirty business Weather you take a fish off the bed or just harass it with lures
The fish expends nearly all its energy protecting the nest from predation. Then if the fish is caught and weighed in. There is the end of that bed.
woodistic

Post by woodistic »

J Gondal wrote:The fish are there. Plenty of them. Everyone is looking for an excuse why they can not catch them. I have heard them all.
Same thing in the delta. Seals , pressure, the spraying, the pellets. One excuse after another.
Mean while some anglers continue to sack em up big. The fish bury in deep weeds making them hard to get.
The biggest problem on the lakes are the water exports. Yes it might effect the spawn slightly.
The biggest factor is the bass Suspend when water levels drop. The average angler does not know how to adapt to or use their electronics to catch these suspending fish.
Most guys do not have the first idea how sonar works
You are making lots of assumptions lol, the numbers are there I don’t think anyone is debating that, the consistency of quality fish is in question, these lakes have always from the beginning of their existence have had water exports, so I’m not sure how that argument holds much weight, and where you finding these deep weeds on the motherload lakes lol..... the delta is good and will remain good for that reason, most of us here are not average anglers btw hence we are posting on a bass fishing forum...btw what is sonar? Smh
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

The deep weeds I am referring to are in the delta.
The fish come in cycles. Maybe they are conditioned to large swim baits.
Maybe we should remember it was not that long ago the lake was down to 12% capacity.
woodistic

Post by woodistic »

J Gondal wrote:The deep weeds I am referring to are in the delta.
The fish come in cycles. Maybe they are conditioned to large swim baits.
Maybe we should remember it was not that long ago the lake was down to 12% capacity.
I guess this is a once in a lifetime opportunity we currently have. Pedro has been closed for almost 3 weeks and McClure 4 when the lakes open in 4-6 weeks I guess we should have a good barometer as to how relentless tournament fishing actually impacts the bite....... I’m sure my position will be easily proven to be mostly accurate with the exception of dudes that don’t know how to use sonar lol!
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

There is no question. Fishing will be off the off good when the lakes open.
That’s just common sense.
You guys ever fish at lake pardee ?
It’s not large like the others you mention
But your experiment happens there each year
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

woodistic wrote:Water levels definitely play a role , but this is unavoidable. The main culprit and many may view this as unpopular, but the number of tournaments and derby's that take place at the mother-load lakes(every weekend, multiple)has become ridiculous. Especially this time of year, pulling fish off beds and moving fish all over the lake is a problem. These big federations moving through lakes especially on back to back weekends really hampers the fishing for the majority of anglers out there, and for what?, 1500$. They should really look at doing something similar to mlf/or the method used by Kayak clubs. This would go along way preserving the experience for everyone.
I agree. 100%. Way too many tournaments
Delta as well. They should be cut in half
Money money
Jwbassin505

Post by Jwbassin505 »

So we are all agreeing that there is just way too many tournaments especially during the spawn!!!Right guys?
Fidlplr

Post by Fidlplr »

Yes I believe so. Let the fish do their thing. There should only be night tourneys anyways.
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

Yup. But it brings recreational money during the off season. I don’t see it going away unless gas prices get outrageous like before.
I do not know a lot about fishing in the other states but I know the big circuits have no problem filling the field. In Ca they can not
If we have so many anglers fishing tournaments
Why is this the case?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I concur, there are entirely too many tournaments on ALL of our lakes. I support multi-use fisheries, and this means providing for those types of experiences that all user groups are interested in. This means some lakes should be set aside where those that are looking for a "quiet" experience don't have to deal with numbers of tournament anglers. I also support tournaments, just not on every lake with 3 tournaments every weekend on every lake. The number of tournaments on every lake all year long is insane, you can find the number of tournaments by date on CDFW's website. Its out of control.

Tournament pressure has absolutely ruined many lakes and the enjoyment of fishing those lakes by non-tournament anglers. Fact.