How Do You Fish Slimy Conditions?

Drakestar

How Do You Fish Slimy Conditions?

Post by Drakestar »

Went out to a local reservoir yesterday that is prone to slimy algae growth - and sure enough, the warming water had done its job. How do you fish these conditions?

I'm not sure there's much to do about it when the algae are suspended across the entire water column - no matter where and how you fish, it'll stick to your bait. I went with a weedless t-rigged stickbait and was able to jerk off some growth every few feet, but in the end, even on such a slim profile, I had to remove sticky green tendrils after every cast. A sensitive rod helps to tell the slop from bites, I guess. I was lucky to use an 754 Xtasy and that worked out.

When algae are at the bottom I'm able to fish above it even when worming (using a dropshot). It's still really annoying and makes the bottom contact mushier, but the action of the actual bait isn't impaired.

Other than that: a super fast moving reaction bait like a Bull Shad kinda does the trick - it picks up algae like crazy, but it's moving so fast and violently that the action stays intact and the fish don't mind.

I did fine in the end and caught a decent bag. But if anybody has tips for making the experience less annoying I'd LOVE to hear it :)
Jboutfishn

Re: How Do You Fish Slimy Conditions?

Post by Jboutfishn »

Have run into those conditions, not to your extent though, and found a wacky rigged Senco fished very slow worked.
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

Might try a tube bait Texas rig weedless. I find they are pretty good in the slime
NICNITRO

Post by NICNITRO »

FROG
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

NICNITRO wrote:FROG
+1
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Three things - FROG first and foremost, Stick Bait like the Berkley General, or a flip bait that is compact like a tube or a Berkeley Power Hog with the tentacles off
Attachments
Berkeley Power Hog.PNG
Berkeley Power Hog.PNG (108.21 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Drakestar

Post by Drakestar »

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I haven't been able to unlock topwater yet on this lake :( Might need to go later in the day. Luckily the bloom has stopped for a bit - on that trip, every worm came back at least this slimey... Still got three bass to commit to that, though. Maybe they like sushi with sea grass :)
slime.jpg.jpeg