Buying New Boat Out of State

TonyM

Buying New Boat Out of State

Post by TonyM »

Has anyone here purchased a new boat outside Ca. and registered it here? Does the out of state dealer charge sales tax or does California hit a person for sales that upon registration in California? Went to DMV’s website but didn’t see any mention of sales tax. But I thought I heard that one time. Any issues to be aware of buying a new boat out of state? Thanks
Hughsonbassin

Re: Buying New Boat Out of State

Post by Hughsonbassin »

Bought mine in AZ they didn’t charge me sales tax. Only issue I had was dealing with the morons at DMV was there for a good hour while four people came up with four different answers for the same issue. But it was all straightened out in the end. One recommendation is that they have you split the amount of the boat and trailer for taxes. Put down a fair amount for the trailer a new trailer for a 20-21 foot boat is 12-15k so I have been told. The more you put toward the trailer the less your property tax assessment will be.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

They will charge you ca sales tax when you register it here. Property tax is 1% of value yearly and its based on NADA
Yaboy

Post by Yaboy »

I bought a boat from Oklahoma in October 2019 and had transported here. Between the trailer and the boat, I paid just about $7,000 in taxes. Like others have said the property tax assessment which is different in every county is on the boat only. So have your bill of sale break the price down between the boat and trailer. I had the price of mine broken down between the boat, trailer and motor. DMV's website has everything on that you will need to bring to them. One of the issues I had was the difference between CA registration and Oklahoma registration. In Oklahoma they have a pink slip for the boat and a separate one for the motor. CA breaks it down between the trailer and the boat. I also had to take my boat to DMV for an inspection. I have heard it's really 50/50 if DMV actually makes you do this. I just happened to draw the short straw and had to take it in.
lobinero

Post by lobinero »

I bought mine in Texas this past December. All comments here are valuable and right. I also had pink slips for boat and motor. In Calif@$^K they combine into one. At DMV they ask for the purchase price. They didn't ask for bill of sale. I could have say less but I didn't want the stress later, just saying, I don't know if you can get away with it. A WORD OF CAUTION: you have 20 -30 days to register the boat or you will get penalized. ALSO you will need the motor manufacturer "hang tag". It's evidences that you engine is considered a "clean engine " 3-4 stars as rated by CARB, CA Air Resource whatever. Be sure you have it or request from the manufacturer or YOU WONT BE ABLE TO REGISTER. They do an inspection and will issue a CA plate for the trailer. Be ready to pay sale tax at the moment. No taxes paid in Texas since I bought it from the owner, not a business. Be aware that buying out of CA., you may be able to buy at a lower market price as compared to CA(surprised). Just do you homework and compare. There are a lot of boats and resources out there. Be ready to act bc if its a good deal, you may have competition and you will need to act fast. However, get as much info (maybe an engine check)and pics you can get before you commit to buy and drive. The feeling (honesty) you get from the buyer can goa long way. There is always risk. Accept it, still better than buying brand new. Good Luck with your purchase.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Be prepared to pay county use tax , every year ! the latest tactics that county’s do now” is to depreciate your boat very little , so they ca collect maximum tax !....
Trace

Post by Trace »

PM sent