Wouldn't it be nice

DanIsaac

Wouldn't it be nice

Post by DanIsaac »

if our DFW would actually do something for a warm water fishery around here?

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/ ... 266692002/
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
MichaelB

Re: Wouldn't it be nice

Post by MichaelB »

DanIsaac wrote:if our DFW would actually do something for a warm water fishery around here?
Good luck with that wish ..... in California LM Bass are a non-native invasive species. Half of our legislators would prefer bass were eradicated.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Good luck with that wish ..... in California LM Bass are a non-native invasive species. Half of our legislators would prefer bass were eradicated.[/quote]

Yes. They changed the environment with dams
Removing the spawning grounds for native fish
Instead of allowing fish species that thrive in the man made environment they would rather have no fish.
We need dams for power and water.
They can not restore the waters back to how they were 100 years ago
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

Why does CDFW need to stock bass? At this very moment and for the past 3-4 months the adult stock in every waterbody that hold whatever Micropterus sp. are making BILLIONS more. These Sharelunker and/or bass stocking programs contribute a negligible amount to the fisheries they "supplement" and are nothing but "feel good about doing something" programs. If fisheries are relying upon stocking as a management tool they are being mismanaged.....just look at the anadromous Salmonids.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

the DFW mission has shifted dramatically over the years !, they no longer manage any sport fish “ of game animal !, they have turned into “environmental police” , controlled by the states tree hugging govt officials! , hunting & fishing is on its way out “ in California!, sad times
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Interesting that you bring this up Dan. Last week I ran into a fisheries biologist at one of my local ponds that was there checking on the water level and general condition of the water. I was asking about the smallmouth population in the pond and he was telling me that it's way down from 15 years ago and likely won't recover. He said there isn't much he can do since the states F&G hitched their wagon to trout and only trout back in the 80's or 90's.

They consider bass to be monocultural IIRC. Meaning they are at the top of the food chain and take over any water they are introduced to. Good thing we don't have Northern Pike or Musky.

When I asked him how many holdover trout they get year to year, he said virtually zero. They figure all the trout planted are caught, eaten or die in 3-4 weeks. They can't adjust to living in the wild. Catfish on the other hand seem to do well. Back to bass, there are no resources allocated from the state basically. They would rather eradicate them.

All plants of bass I've heard about are fingerlings. Maybe they should go back to introducing trout as fingerlings.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Can anyone bring me up to date on the history of bass in Lake Shasta?
Jim
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

No bass were west of the Rocky Mountains until man brought them here
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Lawley wrote:No bass were west of the Rocky Mountains until man brought them here
No white men were west of the Rockies until Cortes brought them here from Spain.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Addicted Fisherman

Post by Addicted Fisherman »

If you need largemouth plants to catch bass in California, you better start
practicing more.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

wasn't speaking of just "plants" rather management practices like we had in the 80s and 90s. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

They should be following Texas lead !...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DanIsaac wrote:wasn't speaking of just "plants" rather management practices like we had in the 80s and 90s. Dan
Exactly. Political appointees should never lead agencies tasked with protecting our natural resources.
CLEAN AND DRY
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

What "management practices" do you speak of? I can tell you the current catch and release culture (voluntary release of all bass caught) has been the death of trophy bass fishing in CA and nationwide. The size regulations in place (the only management practice in application for bass) are worthless when virtually all bass anglers release their catch. I advocate bass removal in order to allow the remaining fish space and forage to increase their growth potential and rates.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Those sea lions eat enough bass to account for every anglers catch and keep rate!

The state’s invasive species and management practice all in one. :lol:

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

mark poulson wrote:
Lawley wrote:No bass were west of the Rocky Mountains until man brought them here
No white men were west of the Rockies until Cortes brought them here from Spain.
I like bass being here.
What this about white men? Why did you call them out when we are talking about fish?
Some may find your racial comment offensive
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Lawley wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I like bass being here.
What this about white men? Why did you call them out when we are talking about fish?
Some may find your racial comment offensive
Hahaha If it offends you, ignore it.
CLEAN AND DRY
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

I support the BLM movement....bass lives matter!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Shooter wrote:I support the BLM movement....bass lives matter!
That's clever, but it isn't the point.
Black people have been getting the short end of the stick in this country ever since the first black Africans were brought here as slaves.
They are finally being heard, both nationally and around the world, by everyone, not just like minded people.
Cellphone videos have spread the truth, and, just like television did for the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War in the 60's, everyone is seeing what is really happening. And, to our credit, we Americans don't like it, and want things to change.
Black Lives Matter has been at the forefront of bringing this issue to all of us, and I don't think it's right to use their BLM abbreviation for anything else, no matter how clever or "harmless" the intent. I think that we have to acknowledge how we non-black Americans have avoided seeing our own part in the racism that is so pervasive in this country, and, by doing so, have allowed it to persist for so long.
No more. It is time for a change.
CLEAN AND DRY
Ben520

Post by Ben520 »

I JUST DON'T know What TO SAY TO THAT MARK WITHOUT OFFENDING SOMEONE ( FISHING SITE ) :?:
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

mark poulson wrote:
Black people have been getting the short end of the stick in this country ever since the first black Africans were brought here as slaves.
They are finally being heard, both nationally and around the world, by everyone, not just like minded people.
Cellphone videos have spread the truth, and, just like television did for the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War in the 60's, everyone is seeing what is really happening. And, to our credit, we Americans don't like it, and want things to change.
Black Lives Matter has been at the forefront of bringing this issue to all of us, and I don't think it's right to use their BLM abbreviation for anything else, no matter how clever or "harmless" the intent. I think that we have to acknowledge how we non-black Americans have avoided seeing our own part in the racism that is so pervasive in this country, and, by doing so, have allowed it to persist for so long.

DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

DanIsaac wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Once again you just can't keep your political or personal opinions to yourself. This is a fishing website and while it might not g ace been appropriate or politically correct, that's ALL you had to say.....BLM... big loud mouth if your wondering! Sorry fellas!

gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Yes Dan it would be nice but the CDFW is missing the “R” for Resource in their mission statement. We would have to put the “R” back in their efforts and priorities.....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

First off I know Mark and I personally think he is way out of line ...get it Mark :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Knock off the Bs and fish otherwise go away. :!:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

About 10-12 years ago I posted on the fish sniffer that bass anglers needed to look at our fisheries like sports look at their stadiums and fields. That if DFG wasn’t going to invest in these bodies of water we should. It was obvious to me that the local counties only cared about these lakes as water sheds for them to sell water and access to wake boats and jet skis. Fisheries weren’t even close to a priority. I was told by fellow fisherman to shut up and not make things worse. How’s access to Santa Clara lakes these days?

What would it take for us to purchase bodies of water and make them fishing only?

Why are we so easy to give up these bodies of water to politicians control?

You know a fishing license in other states is $15 AND F&G in those states invest in the fishery? What are we at now? $60+? No representation?

I’ll shut up again and see how things are in another 10-12 years.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

When we had a resort at Clear Lake in the 70's the private resorts all had pens full of catfish that were fed and released. The place next to ours had one of those pens with an Operation Catfish sign on it. They brought in the Florida strain largemouth after I went off to college. I have watch them progress and I see catch and release working just fine. If you read the fishing Regs. it specifically mentions not eating more than like 4 ozs. of fish from Clear lake because of the Mercury in the fish. :shock: Another hidden toxin is the DDT that was used by all the pear and walnut farmers. That is locked into the system for like 10,000 years as it is passed on from accumulations of the toxins in the livers whereby it just goes around and around until it finally is buried in all the sediment. Catfish get megadoses of concentrated DDT from the bottom feeding and cleaning they do for a living.
Anyway ... I think that was privately funded but sanctioned by the State in those days?

And yes Dan it would be nice. :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kelly Ripa wrote:First off I know Mark and I personally think he is way out of line ...get it Mark :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Knock off the Bs and fish otherwise go away. :!:
Rip, you know me too well. I just don't want what happened to Clear Lake to be what happens to all our lakes because we don't know what's going on with our water, like what happened at Casitas.
CLEAN AND DRY
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

mark poulson wrote:

That a boy Mark
Keep pushing the race card LIE
Keep people down
Fan the flames of hate
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Lawley wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

That a boy Mark
Keep pushing the race card LIE
Keep people down
Fan the flames of hate
Have you ever met a black American who hasn't experienced racism? White people who haven't seen it either live somewhere far away from black people, or just don't want to see it. It is everywhere.
CLEAN AND DRY
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

What is the problem Mark...Your getting as bad as Ace from the old NCBF days. Button your lip friend and let's talk fishing as none of the other BS matters in case you didn't know it's all about fishing :wink:

If you can't let this thread go without a response perhaps you should seek help.
LET'S GO BRANDON