COVID Procedures for Casitas

WB Staff

COVID Procedures for Casitas

Post by WB Staff »

101117946_3248745138503699_6578175325052600320_n.jpg
COVID-19 PROCEDURES FOR PRIVATE BOATS ENTERING LAKE CASITAS

*Private Boaters must be advised that there will be new park entrance procedures for entering the lake.

*All private boats must enter
through Gates 3 & 4 (picture posted). DO NOT line up in Gates 1 & 2 since those are dedicated to daytime use customers.

*Expect this process to take a little extra time due to social distancing guidelines. We appreciate your patience!

*PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD OTHERWISE.

*You will be asked to exit your vehicle at a certain point to unlock your cable.

*If everyone complies with this process, everything should go smoothly.

*Private Boaters exiting Lake Casitas must have their boats locked before arriving at the front gate.

*Stay in your vehicle while gate staff applies your new tag. Wait for them to ask you to exit your vehicle.

*There will be no signature required. You will simply need to
give a verbal “OKAY” saying that the tag was put on correctly.

For more info you can call the front gate at 805-649-2233.
mark poulson

Re: COVID Procedures for Casitas

Post by mark poulson »

Will public restrooms be open? How about the cafe and the tackle store?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Where is lake Casitas?
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Basically Casitas is in Ventura. It's inland from the coast by maybe 7 miles as the crow flies.It was a Factory for Florida Strain toads for 25-30 years with fish to 20+ plus pounds. The ecosystem was destroyed by the Lakes water board 10 years ago with their best practices and procedures to keep quagga mussels from gaining entry into the lake. It has been in decline ever since. No fixing stupid in So Cal. :wink:

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I dunno?..... hear it’s coming back !...
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I was truly blessed with a 7 10 this year at Casitas before the shut down. That's my best fish in the last 3 years here. I used to have schools of 8 pounders chase my lunker punker when it first came out. There were always teens to be seen and a few caught. A night tournament where they stopped weighing 10 pounders for big fish honors. I recall hearing Larry and Eric Elshere had something like 55 pounds for their best 5 off the bank no less. Because they stopped the stocking of trout they broke what they had built and sustained and it will be a long haul to get it anywhere near what it was. I imagine Tom "old school" has an opinion or two on the state of our fisheries past and present. They are very Florida strain in that they fight like hell. :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Oh. The procedures do not look like the America I know
Seems odd being so close to the sea.
Sounds like a beautiful piece of water
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Those have been the procedures for nearly 10 years now. I am a California native and you are right Lawley it's not the America you know. The State doesn't even resemble it's former self. Casitas has always had problems filling as the river goes straight past the lake into the ocean Vs.having it in the watershed.They divert some water from the river system from an antiquated silted in Dam farther up stream but they are so pathetic at the process that it's to bad for somebody.Gotta keep the rare steelhead in water so I'm told. I don't know what will let go when I retire but I am an outdoors type of person and the call back to my roots at Clear Lake is very difficult to resist......BOOM :lol:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

The steelhead trout need cold water. Once the lake warms in the summer the flows from the dam normally are too warm
Most all the steelhead waters in Ca have been ruined with the exception of some rivers in the far north coastal area of Ca. Streams without dams
In lots of these waters below dams I believe they should plant fish that will thrive in the environment That has been changed. Since steelhead have a really hard time why not introduce small mouth bass?
People can enjoy the sport and have table food if that’s what they want to do
Just my opinion
WRB

Post by WRB »

Kelly Ripa wrote:I was truly blessed with a 7 10 this year at Casitas before the shut down. That's my best fish in the last 3 years here. I used to have schools of 8 pounders chase my lunker punker when it first came out. There were always teens to be seen and a few caught. A night tournament where they stopped weighing 10 pounders for big fish honors. I recall hearing Larry and Eric Elshere had something like 55 pounds for their best 5 off the bank no less. Because they stopped the stocking of trout they broke what they had built and sustained and it will be a long haul to get it anywhere near what it was. I imagine Tom "old school" has an opinion or two on the state of our fisheries past and present. They are very Florida strain in that they fight like hell. :wink:
I remember when young Eric Elshere passed away thinking what a tragedy. My son passed away from cancer in January and now know no words can express the sorrow.
Hearing Casitas has reopened is good news and maybe find the desire to fish agian.
We need to refresh our Florida bass strain by stocking pure Florida bass in Casitas to rejuvenate the vigor of our bass. 10lb bass were not uncommon at Castias prior to the late 70's before Florida starin were transplanted from San Deigo lakes. I caught a 12 lb 4 oz Northen strain LMB off a point on a jig in 1971. Back in 1981, 10 years later I caught my 18.6 lbs FLMB off the same point the same month on a similar jig. What is amazing is both bass are 28" long! Casitas is capabable of producing giant bass, no stripers to compete with.
Enjoy your time on the water and catch that DD bass!
Tom
Aka Oldschool.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Lawley wrote:The steelhead trout need cold water. Once the lake warms in the summer the flows from the dam normally are too warm
Most all the steelhead waters in Ca have been ruined with the exception of some rivers in the far north coastal area of Ca. Streams without dams
In lots of these waters below dams I believe they should plant fish that will thrive in the environment That has been changed. Since steelhead have a really hard time why not introduce small mouth bass?
People can enjoy the sport and have table food if that’s what they want to do
Just my opinion
I have lived in SoCal for my entire life over 75 years. During that time no wild steelhead were caught below point Conception. Efforts to establish steelhead in Malibou creek, Ventura River have failed. The Castias dam had a fish ladder installed that cost 6 million about 10 years ago for non existent steelhead to migrate up Coyote creek....at the same time trout plants were stopped, insane fishery management!
Tom
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

The steelhead will not return. If they do make some type of come back fishing will not be allowed. Access to the areas they find them will be closed. It’s too bad. Steelhead is a great game fish. Hardest fighting freshwater fish there ie
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Not sure of the exact year (1979-1981?) I remember my Dad catching steelhead in Malibu Creek. I remember him saying he parked in a market parking lot and stepped over a low wall and started fishing. This was close to the coast.

Back in 1978 a contractor building homes in Simi Valley told me as a boy (50s?) he caught steelhead in a small unnamed creek running near his development. That creek had a good flow in good rain years. I believe Malibu Creek still has steelhead in wet years.

I started fishing for bass 10 years ago as my "old guy" (78) shoulders could no longer handle a drift boat for steelhead on the Trinity. Sooooooo, let the flames begin, I believe bass don't need help from the CDFW other than slot limits to promote larger fish. Many folks have had 60+ fish days, more fish is not the answer.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Steelhead trout are sea run rainbow trout. The native trout are cold water species requiring running cold water to spawn and hatch eggs. The trout run down river out into the ocean to grow into adult size Steelheads, then return to spawn. Unlike salmon trout don't die after spawning.
We don't have cold water year around running rivers or streams in SoCal anymore since cities were constructed and dams built to prevent massive flooding in wet years.
What has happened is Steelhead were planted in Malibu creek in hope to establish them. This activity has been ongoing for decades back into the 50's without success.
If you want to catch Steelhead go north 200 to 500 miles where cold water creeks and rivers and Steelhead still exist.
I am not talking about planting more bass in general. I am talking about rejuvenating the Florida strian bass genes with pure Florida bass strain. Getting this done today is impossible do to the fact bass are considered a invasive non-native species to CDFW.
Kelly was asking for my opinion about giant*!bass populations returning to Casitas or Castiac. My answer is I don't think so because of the reasons stated.
Tom
* giant = 15lb+ FLMB
Aka Oldschool