Best trolling motor with spot lock?

fidzj

Best trolling motor with spot lock?

Post by fidzj »

In the market for a new trolling motor with spot lock, looking at MotorGuide tour pro, lowrance ghost and Minnkota ultrex leaning towards the MotorGuide as it is the only one with cable steer, what input do you have about all three?
bustout

Re: Best trolling motor with spot lock?

Post by bustout »

The ultrex pedal feels like smooth cable steer and motor steer No delay when moving pedal

Spot lock is great

I have heard good things about the ghost but for over 1k more. Not sure if it’s extra features are worth 1k.
rjt18b

Post by rjt18b »

LOVE my Ultrex! Can't imagine fishing without it. Fishing on my buddy's boat with an older Motorguide is work compared to the ease of Ultrex. Game changer!

Post by 392 »

Have had the ghost for 3 months and absolutely love everything about it. Powerful, quiet no external cables or wires, very efficient.
fidzj

Post by fidzj »

Has anyone tried the new Motorguide? I kinda like the idea of cable steering with spot lock, also I believe I shouldn’t have to drill new holes in my boat. May be really hard to find though
Bassjunkie17

Post by Bassjunkie17 »

I beleive the ultrex is a cable steer as well.
Maybe you're talking about the ulterra.
Just an FYI to help with your decision.
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Had the Ultrex and the Ghost is far better. I've used mine for about 4 months. It is amazing how quiet it runs. Centers when bringing it back onboard without having to step on the pedal. Spot lock does not shut down by itself like the Ultrex did occasionally. The head (Top) does not spin. About 20% faster at full on. So little volts used through the day. Tech was really helpful with new programming instructions. It drops in the water slowly with very little effort and stows slowly also. You do have to purchase the remote separately. Very well thought out design...
Danny
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Id always had cable steer trolling motors. Just got the Ultrex and love it. My understanding is it’s still cable steer, but feels like it has power steering. Pedal doesnt lock up in heavy weeds like prior cable steer pedals used to. There’s no delay. It feels a little different, but its a very short learning curve. I was nervous I wouldnt like it, but no way Id go back. Bery happy with the Ultrex.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

DannyMiller wrote:Had the Ultrex and the Ghost is far better. I've used mine for about 4 months. It is amazing how quiet it runs. Centers when bringing it back onboard without having to step on the pedal. Spot lock does not shut down by itself like the Ultrex did occasionally. The head (Top) does not spin. About 20% faster at full on. So little volts used through the day. Tech was really helpful with new programming instructions. It drops in the water slowly with very little effort and stows slowly also. You do have to purchase the remote separately. Very well thought out design...
Danny
This is a great review and highlights a lot of what i hear when working the docks for BBT. Danny Miller isnt sponsored by Lowrance, he is an innovator in his own right. Great review Danny. I know my next boat will have the Ghost.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/