Ultrex or Electronics 1st? Need some help please

Huntrik

Ultrex or Electronics 1st? Need some help please

Post by Huntrik »

Hey there fishing family!,

So I recently bought a 2005 Triton TR21x, 11 years after selling my Skeeter when I reenlisted in the US Army back in 2009. Now at a much higher rank and a little more freedom, I decided it was time to get back into tournament bass fishing.

My boats current set up:
Fortrex 80lbs 24v
Lowrance Elite 5 on the bow
Lowrance Hook 7 in the console

I am trying to figure out which direction is the best way to go (open to all options / opinions) first. I would like to swap out the Fortrex for an Ultrex ASAP but here in lies the problem, I'd like to have a Humminbird MDI or MSI unit as well and can't afford both at the same time. While there is an Ultrex that comes pre-wired with the HB transducer, I wont be able to use my Lowrance Elite 5 that is currently in place. I believe that unit uses Universal Sonar 2 that is built in to the Fortrex. I "could" opt for the Ultrex with the US2 transducer but then I'd be missing out when I eventually get a Helix or Solix unit down the road (unless I wired a new MDI/MSI transducer externally). Alternatively, if I go with new electronics first I'd be missing out on the whole reason I need an Ultrex in the first place and that is boat control in the wind. Basically I guess it boils down to I can't get the TM w/ the features I want and be able to use my old unit (unless there is something I'm not tracking) can I? Option 2: (least favorite option) wait until I can afford both and switch them at the same time. Side note, I'd like to future proof my upgrade so eventually I can replace my console unit with another HB that talks to the bow unit.

Hope that wasn't too long or confusing. Thoughts, comments, ideas? In a perfect world I'd convert to 36v system, 112lbs Ultrex with MSI, 2 Solix 15's on the bow and a Solix 15 in the console but let's be real, I make Army money LOL!

Thanks for the help guys! Hope to hear some of your ideas.

Jason
Rod Martin

Re: Ultrex or Electronics 1st? Need some help please

Post by Rod Martin »

Point out 1 thing

Not sure where you are going to buy, BUT at Christmas TackleWarehouse give 10% discount on gift cards and as a veteran you get a 10% discount on everything but sale items.(have to send a dd214 or proof of service)Check their prices and maybe it would pay you to buy during the Christmas season.

So buy the gift card then buy your items, some times it's a win, win.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Wait until "Black Friday" and get the Ultrex w/I-Pilot. Then as you can afford, get the Humminbird to go with it. OR, at Factory Outlet, you can finance all or part of your purchase and maybe get both sooner,

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/7 ... otors.html
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I think you want to go Ultrex first then Graphs if you have to choose. You can always band strap the lowrance to the bottom of the ultrex. You should be able to use the spot lock feature but not the ipilot features until you incorporate the graphs. There were and are quite a few Lowrance guys that had an ultrex. So i dont think the way youre looking at doing it would be wrong.

Also too you may want to keep that fortex as a backup - lots of guys are still keeping that unit in their rod locker or garage.

I do wonder if you have considered or looked at the Lowrance Ghost?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
NICNITRO

Post by NICNITRO »

Check out Russell Marine Products website. They have deals/bundles to get electronics and trolling motor together. They also have military discount and payment options.

https://www.russellmarineproducts.com/p ... iabt-1.htm
rjt18b

Post by rjt18b »

I second Rod's post about TW. I seem to remember 10% on gift cards and also 10% on a ton of stuff around xmas and the first of the year. I can't imagine fishing without my Ultrex! I fish mostly fish the delta so my graphing skill isn't needed as much as it would be on lakes. Ultrex will hold you on a spot no matter the depth or current.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

NICNITRO wrote:Check out Russell Marine Products website. They have deals/bundles to get electronics and trolling motor together. They also have military discount and payment options.

https://www.russellmarineproducts.com/p ... iabt-1.htm
Another plus for Russell Marine:
I have bought an Ultrex and a Carbon 9 from RMP.
No shipping cost and no sales tax as they are in Kansas.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

IMHO the Ultrex is/was a game changer vs the two new graphs. I held off until I could get them all and then all the cables and ports. Don't wait for the graphs, get the Ultrex.

I have a 99 Triton TR21 that somehow came rigged with a 52 # Evinrude TM. Had it replaced with a MK Maxxum 74# 24V. Had planned on converting to 36V, but since I did the install the battery configuration was going to be challenging. Went with the 24V 80# Ultrex and have been very happy with it. I don't doubt there are times when the tide and wind would make a 36V more desirable, but I have not found the 24V to be lacking in some harsh conditions.
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Get the Ultrex, get it with the Bird ducer you will want to use eventually..
You will get so much more enjoyment fishing with the Ultrex for what ever the length of time it takes to upgrade your electronics. I don't know how i managed to fish before having an Ultrex. :lol:

Next buy yourself an external ducer for that Lowrance and use a hose clamp to strap it to the TM.
Yes you will have to manage the cable, zip tie it down and run it to your front graph but the cost of that ducer wont break you and you can still have an Ultrex until the new graphs are in the budget.
Trace

Post by Trace »

Get the 36v ultrex with hummingbird transducer
Huntrik

Post by Huntrik »

Thank you all for the advice!! Just to let you know, I when with Russell Marine and their Affirm Payment Program, I ended up getting the Ultrex MDI IPilot and Helix12. Both are on the way!! Thanks so much for the help and guidance!! Tight lines!!

Jason
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Huntrik wrote:Thank you all for the advice!! Just to let you know, I when with Russell Marine and their Affirm Payment Program, I ended up getting the Ultrex MDI IPilot and Helix12. Both are on the way!! Thanks so much for the help and guidance!! Tight lines!!

Jason

Just couldn't wait :lol: Awesome man enjoy your new toys and thank you for your service.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/